On the surface structure of infinitive-complement sentences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Linguists' inability to reach consensus about the surface structure of infinitive-complement sentences with verbs likebelieve is a consequence of unresolved foundational disputes about the nature of generative grammar. Naive native speakers' linguistic intuitions about sentences of this type, as assessed by elicitation of judgments about surface structure, also fail to provide a solution to this problem. Insofar as we have no way of deciding on the surface structure ofbelieve-type infinitive-complement sentences, click-displacement results with these materials cannot be used to support either a surface-structure account or a deep-structure account of the parsing of sentences in the process of comprehension.
- Alexander, D., Kunz, W. J. (1964) Some Classes of Verbs in English. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
- Bever, T. G., Lackner, J. R., Kirk, R. (1969) The underlying structures of sentences are the primary units of immediate speech processing. Percept. Psychophys. 5: pp. 225-234
- Chapin, P. G., Smith, T. S., Abrahamson, A. A. (1972) Two factors in perceptual segmentation of speech. J. Verb. Learn. Verb. Behav. 11: pp. 164-173
- Chomsky, N. (1965) Aspects of the Theory of Syntax. M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Chomsky, N. Conditions on transformations. In: Anderson, S. R., Kiparsky, P. eds. (1973) Studies in Honor of Morris Halle. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York
- Clark, H. H. (1973) The language-as-fixed-effect fallacy: A critique of language statistics in psychological research. J. Verb. Learn. Verb. Behav. 12: pp. 335-359
- Fodor, J. A., Bever, T. G., Garrett, M. F. (1974) The Psychology of Language: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics and Generative Grammar. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Postal, P. M. (1974) On Raising: One Rule of English Grammar and Its Theoretical Implications. M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Rosenbaum, P. S. (1967) The Grammar of English Predicate Complement Constructions. M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Thorndike, E. L., Lorge, J. (1944) The Teacher's Word Book of 30,000 Words. Bureau of Publications, Teachers' College, Columbia University, New York
- Toppino, T. C. (1974) The underlying structures of sentences are not the primary units of speech processing: A reinterpretation of Bever, Lackner, and Kirk's findings. Percept. Psychophys. 15: pp. 517-518
- On the surface structure of infinitive-complement sentences
Journal of Psycholinguistic Research
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 1-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors