Reminiscence of an addictionologist: Thoughts of a researcher and clinician
- Peter A. Mansky M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The changes in the field of addiction are discussed from the prospective of twenty-two years of work as a researcher and clinician. The growing importance and relevance of twelve step programs to clinical practice is explored as is the changing experiences of working with early stage alcoholics. This is followed by a discussion of the interaction the research and clinical aspects of chemical dependency. Behavioral and learning theory in relationship to chemical dependency, the disease concept and the importance of the incubation period, withdrawal syndromes, and hereditary aspects of chemical dependency are all discussed.
- Wishnie, H. (1977) The Impulsive Personality: Understanding People With Destructive Character Disorders. Plenum Press, New York
- Anonymous,Alcoholics Anonymous, third edition, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., New York New York, 1976.
- Kurtz, E. (1979) Not God, A History of Alcoholics Anonymous. Hazelton, Center City, Minnesota
- Khantzian, E.J., Mack, J.E. Alcoholics Anonymous and Contemporary Psychodynamic Theory. In: Galanter, M. eds. (1989) Recent Developments in Alcoholism. Plenum, New York
- Bean, M. Denial and the Psychological Complications of Alcoholism,Dynamic Approaches to the Understanding and Treatment of Alcoholism, M. Bean and N.E. Zinberg eds., p. 55–66. The Free Press, 1981.
- Larson, D.B., Larson, S.S. (1991) Religious Commitment and Health: Valuing the Relationship. Second Opinion 17: pp. 27-48
- Anonymous,The Little Book, Chemanon, 1986.
- Erikson, E.H.Identity: Youth and Crisis, W.W. Norton and Company, Inc., 1968.
- Ellis, A., McInerney, J.F., DiGiuseppe, R., Yeager, R.J.Rational Emotive Therapy With Alcoholics and Substance Abusers, Permagon Books, Inc., 1988.
- Chappel, J.N. (1992) Effective Use of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous in Treating Patients. Psychiatric Annals 22: pp. 489-418
- Bean, M. (1975) Alcoholics Anonymous Chapter I: Principles and Methods. Psychiatric Annals 5: pp. 45-77
- Bean, M. (1975) Alcoholics Anonymous Chapter V: A Critique of A.A.. Psychiatric Annals 5: pp. 83-109
- Chappel, J.N. The Use of Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous by the Physician in Treating Drug and Alcohol Addiction,Comprehensive Handbook of Drug and Alcohol Addiction, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1079–1088, 1992.
- Rappeport, J.R., and Conti, N.V., Legal Issues of Alcoholism,Encyclopedic Handbook of Alcoholism, Gardner Press, Inc., p. 979–988, 1982.
- Blum, K., Self-Help Approaches to Treatment: Alcoholics Anonymous, Alcohol and The Addictive Brain, The Free Press, p. 34–39, 1991.
- Brown, S.Treating The Alcoholic: A Developmental Model of Recovery. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1985.
- Valliant, G.E.The Natural History of Alcoholism, Causes, Patterns, and Paths To Recovery. Harvard University Press, 1983.
- Wikler, A. (1953) Opiate Addiction. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Wikler, A.,Mechanisms of Action of Opiates and Opiate Antagonists: A Review of Their Mechanisms of Action in Relation to Clinical Problems, Public Health Monograph, No. 52, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Wikler, A. Interaction of Physical Dependence and Classical and Operant Conditioning in the Genesis of Relapse. In: Wikler, A. eds. (1968) The Addictive States. Williams & Wilkens, Baltimore, pp. 280-287
- Wikler, A. (1973) Dynamics of Drug Dependence, Implications of a Conditioning Theory For Research and Treatment. Arch, Gen. Psychiat. 28: pp. 611-616
- Wikler, A., Pescor, F.T. (1967) Classical Conditioning of a Morphine Abstinence Phenomenon, Reinforcement of Opioid-Drinking Behavior and “Relapse” in Morphine-Addicted Rats. Psychopharmacologia 18: pp. 255-284
- Overton, D.A. Control of Behavior by Drug States. In: Thomsen, T., Pickens, R. eds. (1971) Stimulus Properties of Drugs. Appleton Century Croft, New York, pp. 87-110
- Ludwig, A.M. personal communication, Lexington, Kentucky, 1976.
- Mansky, Peter, A. (1978) M.D. Opiates: Human Psychopharmacology. Handbook of Psychopharmacology, Volume 12, Drugs of Abuse. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 95-173
- Mansky, P.A., Altman, J. A Conceptual Model of Drug Dependence. In: Manschreck, T., Kleinman, A. eds. (1977) Renewal in Psychiatry: A Critical Rational Perspective. Hemisphere Publishing Corp., Washington/London, pp. 139-16
- Martin, W.R. Assessment of the Dependence Producing Potentiality of Narcotic Analgesics. In: Radauco-Thomas, C., Lasagna, L. eds. (1966) International Encyclopedia of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Vol. 1. Pergamon Press, Glasgow, pp. 155-180
- Martin, W.R. (1967) Opioid Antagonists. Pharmacol. Rev. 19: pp. 463-521
- Martin, W.R. Clinical Evaluation For Narcotic Dependence. In: Way, E.L. eds. (1967) New Concepts in Pain and Its Clinical Management. F.A. Davis, Philadelphia, pp. 121-132
- Martin, W.R., Jaasinski, D.R. (1969) Physiological Parameters of Morphine Dependence in Man—Tolerance, Early Abstinence, Protracted Abstinence. J. Psychiat. Res. 7: pp. 9-17
- Martin, W.R., Wikler, A., Eades, C.G., Pescor, F.T. (1963) Tolerance To and Physical Dependence on Morphine in Rats. Psychopharmacologia 4: pp. 247-260
- Martin, W.R., Jasinski, D.R., Haertzen, C.A., Kay, D.C., Jones, B.E., Mansky, P.A., Carpenter, R.W. (1973) Methadone a Re-evaluation. Arch. Gen. Psychiat 28: pp. 286-295
- Ciraula, D.A., Barnhill, J.G., Greenblatt, D.J., Shader, R.I., Ciraula, D.A., Barnhill, J.G., Greenblatt, D.J., Shader, R.I., Ciraula, A.M., Tarmey, M.F., Molloy, M.A., Foti, M.E. (1988) Abuse Liability and Clinical Pharmacokentics of Alprazolam in Alcoholic Men. J. Clin Psychiatry 49: pp. 333-337
- Nace, E.P. Alcoholics Anonymous. In: Lowinson, J.H., Ruiz, P., Millman, R.B. eds. (1992) Substance Abuse, A Comprehensive Textbook. William & Wilkins, Baltimore
- Anthenelli, R.M., Schuckit, M.A. (1990) Genetic Studies of Alcoholism. Int JAddict 25: pp. 81-94
- Sucket, M.A. (1987) Biological Vulnerability to Alcoholism. J. Consult Clin Psychol 55: pp. 301-309
- Hill, H.E., Haertzen, C.A., Wolback, A.B., Miner, E.J. (1963) The Addiction Research Center Inventory: Standardization of scales which Evaluate Subjective Effects of Morphine, Amphetamine, Pentobarbitol, Alcohol, LSD-25, pyrahexyl and chlorpromazine. Psychopharmacologia 4: pp. 167-183
- Hill, H.E., Haertzen, C.A., Wolback, A.B., Miner, E.J. (1963) The Addiction Research Center Inventory. Psychopharmacologia 4: pp. 184-205
- Isbell, H. (1956) Attempted Addiction To Nalorphine. Fed. Proc. 15: pp. 442
- Gitlow, S.E. An Overview. In: Gitlow, S.E., Peyser, H.S. eds. (1988) Alcoholism, A Practicle Treatment Guide. Grune & Stratton, Inc., Philadelphia
- Ludwig, A.M. (1978) Loss of control in Alcoholics. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 35: pp. 370-373
- Reminiscence of an addictionologist: Thoughts of a researcher and clinician
Volume 64, Issue 2 , pp 81-106
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Executive Park East, 12203, Albany, New York