Fusion safety and environmental R&D tasks in Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper aims at listing and evaluating the status of all the research and development (R&D) tasks necessary for the construction of a safe and environmentally benign fusion experimental reactor. At this time, it is not possible to define precisely the R&D tasks necessary for the licensing approval and those that are useful in improving safety but not necessarily required for licensing because the licensing procedure itself is still being discussed. Among the R&D tasks, the most important are considered to be those related to tritium safety, namely, those effective in reducing the uncertainty in tritium inventory in the plasma facing components and blanket, uncertainty in tritium permeation and leakage, and those to clarify tritium behavior in the containment and in the environment. The R&D tasks with second priority are judged to be those related to mobilization of the activation products such as activated erosion dust or the corrosion products. The volatilization of structural metal caused by the oxidation at high temperature seems to be highly unlikely but some experiments are needed to assure that this is the case.
- J. Raeder, S. Pietet al. (1991). ITER Safety, ITER Documentation Series, No. 36, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
- Contributed Papers on Fusion Safety R&D Plans at the ITER Safety and Environmental Workshop, October 12–16, 1992 at the ITER San Diego Co-Center.
- Fusion safety and environmental R&D tasks in Japan
Journal of Fusion Energy
Volume 12, Issue 1-2 , pp 11-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- fusion reactor
- R&D task
- activation products
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Naka Fusion Research Establishment, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Japan
- 3. Hitachi Energy Research Laboratory, Hitachi Ltd., Hitachi, Japan