Synergism, antagonism, and additivity of phenol, pentachlorophenol, and dinitrophenol to a fish (Notopterus notopterus)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The toxicity of phenol (P), pentachlorophenol (PCP), and dinitrophenol (DNP) was determined separately and in different combinations with a test fish,Notopterus notopterus, using the procedure of Schubertet al. (1978) that provided a simple, sensitive, and quantitative index of synergism, antagonism and additivity. The combination (P + DNP)/PCP was found to be the most synergistic, while (PCP + DNP)/P was antagonistic in nature. The (DNP + P)/PCP combination was additive in its effect. The other combinations were also synergistic, but to a lesser extent than the (P + DNP)/PCP combination.
- American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, and Water Pollution Control Federation: Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water. 13 ed. New York: Am. Publ. Hlth. Assoc. (1971).
- Black, J. A.: The effect of certain organic pollutants on copper toxicity to fish (Lebistes reticulatus). Dissertation Abs.35, 74.25152 (1974).
- Brown, V. M., D. H. M. Jordan, and B. A. Tiller: The acute toxicity to rainbow trout of fluctuation concentrations and mixtures of ammonia, phenol, and zinc. J. Fish. Biol.1, 1 (1969).
- Ferguson, D. E., and C. R. Bingham: The effect of combinations of insecticides on susceptible and resistant mosquito fish. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.1, 97 (1966).
- Florin, J., and B. Muller: Toxicity tests with fish. Swiss Federal Office for water protection. FAO-EIFAC Doc. Unit. Res.10618, 1 (1970).
- Lech, J. J., S. K. Pepple, and M. Anderson: Effects of novobiocin on the acute toxicity, metabolism and biliary excretion of 3-trifluromethyl-4-nitrophenol in rainbow trout. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.25, 542 (1973).
- Lech, J. J.: Glucuronide formation in rainbow trout-Effects of novobiocin on the acute toxicity, conjugation, and biliary excretion of 3-trifluromethyl-4-nitrophenol. Biochem. Pharmacol.23, 2403 (1974).
- Marking, L. L., and W. L. Mauck: Toxicity of paired mixtures of candidate forest insecticides to rainbow trout. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.13, 518 (1975).
- Mayer, F. L. Jr., J. C. Street, and J. M. Neuhold: DDT intoxication in rainbow trout as affected by dieldrin. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.22, 347 (1972).
- Schmidt, D. C., and L. J. Weber: Metabolism and biliary excretion of sulfobromophthalein by rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can.30, 1310 (1973).
- Schreck, C. B., and P. Brouda: Dissolved oxygen depletion in static bioassay systems. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.14, 149 (1975).
- Schubert, J., E. J. Riley, and S. A. Tyler: Combined effect in toxicology-A rapid systematic testing procedure: Cadmium, mercury and lead. J. Toxicol. Environ. Hlth.4, 763 (1978).
- Statham, C. N., and J. J. Lech: Potentiation of the acute toxicity to several pesticides and herbicides in trout by carbaryl. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.34, 83 (1975).
- Street, J. C., R. C. Baker, D. J. Wagstaff, and F. M. Urry: Pesticide interactions in vertebrates: Effects of nutritional and physiological variables. Proc. 2nd IUPAC Int. Congr. Pesticide Chem. A Tel Aviv, Israel p. 281 (1971).
- Verma, S. R., Santa Rani, S. K. Bansal, and R. C. Dalela: Effects of the pesticides thiotox, dichlorvos, and carbofuran on the test fishMystus vittatus. Water Air and Soil Pollution In press (1980).
- Synergism, antagonism, and additivity of phenol, pentachlorophenol, and dinitrophenol to a fish (Notopterus notopterus)
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 365-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors