The dynamics of coupled planar rigid bodies. II. Bifurcations, periodic solutions, and chaos
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We give a complete bifurcation and stability analysis for the relative equilibria of the dynamics of three coupled planar rigid bodies. We also use the equivariant Weinstein-Moser theorem to show the existence of two periodic orbits distinguished by symmetry type near the stable equilibrium. Finally we prove that the dynamics is chaotic in the sense of Poincaré-Birkhoff-Smale horseshoes using the version of Melnikov's method suitable for systems with symmetry due to Holmes and Marsden.
- Cartan, E. (1928). Sur la stabilité ordinaire des ellipsoides de Jacobi,Proc. Int. Cong. Math. 1924 (II).
- Golubitsky, M., and Stewart, I. (1987). Generic bifurcation of Hamiltonian systems with symmetry.Physica D 24, 391–405.
- Grossman, R., Krishnaprasad, P. S., and Marsden, J. E. (1988). The dynamics of two coupled rigid bodies. In F. Salam and M. Levi (eds.),Dynamical Systems Approaches to Nonlinear Problems in Systems and Circuits, SIAM, Philadelphia, pp. 373–378.
- Guillemin, V., and Sternberg, S. (1984).Symplectic Techniques in Physics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Holmes, P., and Marsden, J. E. (1983). Horsehoes and Arnold diffusion for Hamiltonian systems on Lie groups.Ind. Univ. Math. J. 32, 273–310.
- Krishnaprasad, P. S., and Marsden, J. E. (1987) Hamiltonian structures and stability of rigid bodies with flexible attachments.Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal 98, 71–93.
- Krishnaprasad, P. S., Marsden, J. E., Posburgh, T., and Simo, J. C. (1988).Nonlinear Stability of a Rigid Body with an Attached Geometrically Exact Rod. (In press.)
- Montaldi, J., Roberts, M., and Stewart, I. (1988). Periodic solutions near equilibria of symmetric Hamiltonian systems.Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A 325, 237–293.
- Moser, J. (1973).Stable and Random Motions in Dynamical Systems, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Moser, J. (1976). Periodic orbits near equilibrium and a theorem by Alan Weinstein.Commun. Pure Appl. Math. 29, 727–747.
- Oh, Y.-G. (1987). A stability criterion for Hamiltonian systems with symmetry.J. Geom. Phys. 4, 163–182.
- Simo, J. C., Marsden, J. E., and Krishnaprasad, P. S. (1988). The Hamiltonian structure of elasticity: The material, spatial, and connective representation of solids, rods, and plates.Arch. Rat. Mech. An. 104, 125–183.
- Sreenath, N. (1987). Modelling and control of complex multibody spacecraft. PhD thesis, University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
- Sreenath, N., Oh, Y.-G., Krishnaprasad, P. S., and Marsden, J. E. (1988). The dynamics of coupled planar rigid bodies. I. Reduction, equilibria, and stability.Dyn. Stability Syst. 2, 1–25.
- Weinstein, A. (1973). Normal modes for nonlinear Hamiltonian systems.Inv. Math. 20, 47–57.
- Weinstein, A. (1978). Bifurcations and Hamilton's principle.Math. Z. 159, 235–248.
- The dynamics of coupled planar rigid bodies. II. Bifurcations, periodic solutions, and chaos
Journal of Dynamics and Differential Equations
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 269-298
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Geometric mechanics
- rigid body dynamics
- periodic orbits
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of California, 94720, Berkeley, California
- 2. Department of Electrical Engineering and the Systems Research Center, University of Maryland, 20742, College Park, Maryland