High-temperature corrosion of iron in sulfur dioxide at low pressure
- Jolanta Gilewicz-Wolter
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The composition and morphology of scales formed on iron in sulfur dioxide at 3×103 Pa and 1073 K have been investigated by means of various X-ray techniques of analysis (XRD, EDAX, EPMA) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The transport phenomena have been studied using platinum markers and tracers. The scales were composed of a sulfide and oxide mixture and grew by outward diffusion of iron. There was also some inward transport of sulfur and oxygen which occurred through, the discontinuities of the scale. These oxidants, as well as those originating from the dissociation of the scale, take part in the formation of the inner scale layer in the metal-consumption zone. The initial stage of the process proceeds mainly by the reaction of iron with SO2 molecules.
- Rahmel, A. (1975) Oxid. Met. 9: pp. 401
- N. F. Chu and A. Rahmel,Rev. High Temp. Mater. 4(2) (1979).
- N. Birks, inProc. Int. Symp. Properties of High Temp. Alloys (Electrochem Soc., 1976), p. 125.
- Gesmundo, F. (1979) Oxid. Met. 13: pp. 237
- Giggins, C. S., Pettit, F. S. (1980) Oxid. Met. 14: pp. 363
- Gesmundo, F., Young, D. J., Roy, S. K. (1989) High Temp. Mater. Proc. 8: pp. 149
- Stroosnijder, M. F., Quadakkers, W. J. (1986) High Temp. Technol. 4: pp. 83
- J. Gilewicz-Wolter, inDiffusion in Solids and High Temperature Oxidation of Metals, J. Nowotny, ed. (Trans Tech Publications 1992).
- Flatley, T., Birks, N. (1979) J. Iron Steel Inst. 209: pp. 523
- Rahmel, A., Gonzales, J. A. (1971) Werks. Korros. 22: pp. 283
- Rahmel, A. (1973) Corros. Sci. 13: pp. 125
- Gilewicz-Wolter, J. (1977) Oxid. Met. 11: pp. 81
- Gesmundo, F., Asmundis, C., Merlo, S., Bottino, C. (1979) Werks. Korros 30: pp. 179
- McAdam, G., Young, D. J. (1986) Oxid. Met. 28: pp. 165
- J. Gilewicz-Wolter and Z. Zurek, to be published inOxid. Met.
- Barin, J., Knacke, O. (1973) Thermochemical Properties of Inorganic Substances. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- JANAF Thermochemical Tables (Dow Chemical Co., Midland, MI, 1971).
- Brückman, A., Mrowec, S., Werber, T. (1963) Fiz. Miet. Mietałłow 15: pp. 363
- High-temperature corrosion of iron in sulfur dioxide at low pressure
Oxidation of Metals
Volume 46, Issue 1-2 , pp 129-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Faculty of Physics and Nuclear Techniques, University of Mining and Metallurgy, Al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059, Kraków, Poland