Three diagnostic systems for autism: DSM-III, DSM-III-R, and ICD-10
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
ICD-10 draft research criteria for childhood autism were applied to a previously published data set comparing DSM-III and DSM-III-R to clinicians' diagnoses of autism. The ICD-10 approach paralleled clinicians' patterns of diagnosis and, to a lesser extent, the DSM-III system. Relative to either clinicians, DSM-III, or ICD-10 the DSM-III-R system overdiagnosed the presence of autism. Implications for research and for future revision of diagnostic criteria are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.) Washington, DC: Author.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Cicchetti, D. V. & Sparrow, S. S. (1981). Developing criteria for establishing interrater reliability of specific items in a given inventory.American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 86, 127–137.
- Cohen, D. J., Volkmar, F. R., & Paul, R. (1986). Issues in the classification of pervasive developmental disorders and associated conditions: History and current status of nosology.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 158–161.
- Factor, D. C., Freeman, N. L., and Kardash, A. (1989). A comparison of DSM-III and DSM-III-R criteria for autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 637–640.
- Hertzig, M., Snow, M., New, E. & Shapiro, T. (1990). DSM-III and DSM-III-R diagnosis of autism and PDD in nursery school children.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 123–126.
- Kanner, L. (1943) Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- National Society for Autistic Children. (1978). National Society for Autistic Children definition of the syndrome of autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 8, 162–167.
- Rutter, M. (1972). Childhood schizophrenia reconsidered.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 2, 315–338.
- Rutter, M. (1978). Diagnosis and definition. In M. Rutter & E. Schopler (Eds.),Autism: A reappraisal of concepts and treatment (pp. 1–25). New York: Plenum Press.
- Rutter, M., & Garmezy, N. (1983). Developmental Psychopathology. In E. M. Hetherington (Ed.),Handbook of child psychology (Vol. 4, pp. 775–911), New York: Wiley.
- Siegel, S., & Castellan, N. J. (1988).Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Spitzer, R. L., Endicott, J. E., & Robins, E. (1978). Research diagnostic criteria.Archives of General Psychiatry, 35, 773–782.
- Volkmar F. R., Bregman J., Cohen D. J. & Cicchetti, D. V. (1988). DSM-III and DSM-III-R diagnoses of autism.American Journal of Psychiatry, 145, 1404–1408.
- Volkmar F. R., Cicchetti, D. V., Cohen, D. J., & Bregman, J. (1992). Brief report: Developmental aspects of DSM-III-R criteria for autismJournal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 22, 657–662.
- Volkmar, F. R. & Cohen, D. J. (1988). Diagnosis of pervasive developmental disorders. In B. Lahey and A. Kazdin (eds).Advances in clinical child psychology (Vol 11, pp. 249–284). New York: Plenum Press.
- Wing, L. & Gould, J. (1979). Severe impairments of social interaction and associated abnormalities in children. Epidemiology and classification.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 9, 11–29.
- World Health Organization (1987).International classification of diseases (10th ed., draft, rev. of Chap. 5: Mental and behavioural disorders).Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva: Author.
- World Health Organization (1990).International Classification of Diseases, (10th ed., draft of Chap. 5: Mental and behavioural disorders).Diagnostic criteria for research Geneva: Author.
- Three diagnostic systems for autism: DSM-III, DSM-III-R, and ICD-10
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 483-492
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors