Is the faith of faith development Christian faith?
- Jack T. Hanford
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The major research with a theological and developmental psychological perspective on the meaning and development of faith has been produced by James Fowler of Emory University and the Candler School of Theology. In this paper, I will present challenges by important critics who pose a significant question. Is this faith of the faith development research Christian faith? To provide an initial answer to the question, I will offer brief summaries of some of Fowler's writings that he has listed as most important for responding to the question. I will also present evidence from his writings and from the writings of other authors that he is indeed interpreting Christian faith.
- Avery, W. (1990). A Lutheran examines James W. Fowler.Religious Education, 85 (1), 69–83.
- Fernhout, J. (1986). Where is faith: Searching for the core of the cube. In C. Dykstra & S. Parks, (Eds.),Faith development and Fowler (pp. 65–89). Birmingham, Alabama: Religious Education Press.
- Fowler, J. (1974). Faith, liberation and human development.The Foundation, 79, 1–30. Atlanta, Georgia: Gammon Theological Seminary.
- Fowler, J. (1978). Life/faith patterns: Structures of trust and loyalty. In J. Fowler & S. Keen,Life maps: Conversations on the journey of faith (pp. 14–101), J. Berryman (Ed.). Minneapolis: Winston Press.
- Fowler, J. (1981).Stages of faith: The psychology of human development and the quest for meaning. New York: Harper & Row.
- Fowler, J. (1983). Practical theology & the shaping of Christian lives. In D. Browning, (Ed.),Practical theology (pp. 148–166). San Francisco: Harper.
- Fowler, J. (1984).Becoming adult, becoming Christian. New York: Harper & Row.
- Fowler, J. (1986). Dialogue toward a future. In C. Dykstra & S. Parks, (Eds.),Faith development and Fowler (pp. 275–301). Birmingham, Alabama: Religious Education Press.
- Fowler, J. (1987).Faith development & pastoral care. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- Fowler, J. (1988a). Writings.
- Fowler, J. (1988b). The public church and Christian nurture. In K. Nipkow & F. Schweitzer, (Eds.),Stages of faith and religious development. (p. 12 refers to Fowler's chapter pp. 1–19 which was published in the German edition of this book). New York: Crossroad.
- Fowler, J. (1990). Faith/belief. In R. J. Hunter (Ed.),Dictionary of pastoral care and counseling (pp. 394–397). Nashville: Abingdon Press.
- Fowler, J. (1991).Weaving the new creation: Stages of faith and the public church. New York: Harper.
- Hanford, J. (1975). A synoptic approach: Resolving problems in empirical and phenomenological approaches to the psychology of religion.Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 14 (3), 219–228.
- Hanford, J. (1982). Book review.Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 21 (4), 383–384.
- Malony, H. (1990). The concept of faith in psychology. In J. Lee, (Ed.),Handbook of faith (pp. 71–98). Birmingham, Alabama: Religious Education Press.
- McDargh, J. (1984). Faith development theory at ten years.Religious Studies Review, 10 (4), 339–343.
- Moseley, R. (1991). Forms of logic in faith development theory.Pastoral Psychology, 39 (3), 143–152.
- Osmer, R. (1990). James Fowler and the reformed tradition: An exercise in theological reflection in religious education.Religious Education, 85 (1), 51–68.
- Oosterhuis, A. (1989). On de-staging our relationships.Journal of Psychology and Theology, 17 (1), 16–20.
- Streib-Weickum, H. (1989). Hermeneutics of metaphor, symbol, and narrative in faith development theory. (Doctoral dissertation, Emory University).
- Tillich, P. (1948, 1957, pp. 32, 78).The Protestant era. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Wuthnow, R. (1982). A sociological perspective. In K. Stokes, (Ed.),Faith development in the adult life cycle (pp. 209–224). New York: Sadlier.
- Is the faith of faith development Christian faith?
Volume 42, Issue 2 , pp 95-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Jack T. Hanford (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Ferris State University, Johnson Hall 120, 49307, Big Rapids, MI