Is the faith of faith development Christian faith?
- Jack T. Hanford
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The major research with a theological and developmental psychological perspective on the meaning and development of faith has been produced by James Fowler of Emory University and the Candler School of Theology. In this paper, I will present challenges by important critics who pose a significant question. Is this faith of the faith development research Christian faith? To provide an initial answer to the question, I will offer brief summaries of some of Fowler's writings that he has listed as most important for responding to the question. I will also present evidence from his writings and from the writings of other authors that he is indeed interpreting Christian faith.
- Avery, W. (1990) A Lutheran examines James W. Fowler. Religious Education 85: pp. 69-83
- Fernhout, J. Where is faith: Searching for the core of the cube. In: Dykstra, C., Parks, S. eds. (1986) Faith development and Fowler. Religious Education Press, Birmingham, Alabama, pp. 65-89
- Fowler, J. (1974) Faith, liberation and human development.The Foundation, 79,. Gammon Theological Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia
- Fowler, J. Life/faith patterns: Structures of trust and loyalty. In: Fowler, J., Keen, S., Berryman, J. eds. (1978) Life maps: Conversations on the journey of faith. Winston Press, Minneapolis, pp. 14-101
- Fowler, J. (1981) Stages of faith: The psychology of human development and the quest for meaning. Harper & Row, New York
- Fowler, J. Practical theology & the shaping of Christian lives. In: Browning, D. eds. (1983) Practical theology. Harper, San Francisco, pp. 148-166
- Fowler, J. (1984) Becoming adult, becoming Christian. Harper & Row, New York
- Fowler, J. Dialogue toward a future. In: Dykstra, C., Parks, S. eds. (1986) Faith development and Fowler. Religious Education Press, Birmingham, Alabama, pp. 275-301
- Fowler, J. (1987) Faith development & pastoral care. Fortress Press, Philadelphia
- Fowler, J. (1988a). Writings.
- Fowler, J. The public church and Christian nurture. In: Nipkow, K., Schweitzer, F. eds. (1988) Stages of faith and religious development. Crossroad, New York
- Fowler, J. Faith/belief. In: Hunter, R. J. eds. (1990) Dictionary of pastoral care and counseling. Abingdon Press, Nashville, pp. 394-397
- Fowler, J. (1991) Weaving the new creation: Stages of faith and the public church. Harper, New York
- Hanford, J. (1975) A synoptic approach: Resolving problems in empirical and phenomenological approaches to the psychology of religion. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 14: pp. 219-228
- Hanford, J. (1982) Book review. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 21: pp. 383-384
- Malony, H. The concept of faith in psychology. In: Lee, J. eds. (1990) Handbook of faith. Religious Education Press, Birmingham, Alabama, pp. 71-98
- McDargh, J. (1984) Faith development theory at ten years. Religious Studies Review 10: pp. 339-343
- Moseley, R. (1991) Forms of logic in faith development theory. Pastoral Psychology 39: pp. 143-152
- Osmer, R. (1990) James Fowler and the reformed tradition: An exercise in theological reflection in religious education. Religious Education 85: pp. 51-68
- Oosterhuis, A. (1989) On de-staging our relationships. Journal of Psychology and Theology 17: pp. 16-20
- Streib-Weickum, H. (1989). Hermeneutics of metaphor, symbol, and narrative in faith development theory. (Doctoral dissertation, Emory University).
- Tillich, P. (1948) The Protestant era. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Wuthnow, R. A sociological perspective. In: Stokes, K. eds. (1982) Faith development in the adult life cycle. Sadlier, New York, pp. 209-224
- Is the faith of faith development Christian faith?
Volume 42, Issue 2 , pp 95-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Jack T. Hanford (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Ferris State University, Johnson Hall 120, 49307, Big Rapids, MI