Velocity-space contours of collision integrals
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Based on the recently found closed-form expressions of the Boltzmann collision integrals in a rigid-sphere gas for multi-Maxwellian distributions, a few typical sets of contour surfaces of the integrals in the space of molecular velocities are presented. These show graphically the tendency toward equilibrium under the influence of collisions. A brief preliminary comparison with Monte Carlo results is also given.
- R. Narasimha and S. M. Deshpande, “The Boltzmann collision integrals, I. General analysis,” Aeronautical Research Committee (India) ARC-TN-1 (1968).
- S. M. Deshpande and R. Narasimha, “The Boltzmann collision integrals, II. Rigid spheres,” Aeronautical Research Committee (India) ARC-TN-2 (1969).
- Deshpande, S. M., Narasimha, R. (1969) The Boltzmann collision integrals for a combination of Maxwellians. J. Fluid Mech. 36: pp. 545
- Bird, G. A. (1967) The velocity distribution function within a shock wave. J. Fluid Mech. 30: pp. 479
- Nordsieck, A., Hicks, B. L. (1967) Monte Carlo evaluation of the Boltzmann collision integrals. Proc. 5th Intl. Symp. on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Oxford, Vol. 1. Academic Press, New Yorkpp. 695
- Yen, S. M., Hicks, B. L. (1967) On the accuracy of approximate solutions of the Boltzmann equations. Proc. 5th Intl. Symp. on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Oxford, Vol. 1. Academic Press, New Yorkpp. 695
- B. L. Hicks and M. A. Smith, “Numerical studies of strong shock waves. Part X: On the accuracy of Monte Carlo solutions of the nonlinear Boltzmann equation,” Rep. R-360, Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois (1967).
- Erdelyi, A. (1953) Higher Transcendental Functions, Vol. 2. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Narasimha, R., Deshpande, S. M. (1968) On the accuracy of Monte Carlo computations of the Boltzmann collision integrals. Report 68 FM3. Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Velocity-space contours of collision integrals
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 1, Issue 4 , pp 585-593
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Kinetic theory of gases
- Boltzmann equation
- collision integrals
- nonequilibrium in hard-sphere gases
- numerical analysis of collision integrals
- exact results for collision integrals
- Industry Sectors