Should assessment center dimension ratings be mechanically-derived?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the relationship between consensusderived and mechanically-derived assessment center ratings using a sample of 110 police candidates. It was determined that the two sets of dimension ratings were highly correlated (medianr=.83). Further, the mechanically-derived and the consensus-derived assessment ratings both correlated with the overall assessment ratings (OAR) at .71. It was estimated that the organization in this study could save $6137.92 a year, and $36.89 per assessee by eliminating the team meeting (consensus decision-making).
- Bernardin, H. J., & Beatty, R. W. (1984).Performance appraisal: Assessing human behavior at work. Boston: Kent Publishing Company.
- Borman, W. C. (1982). Validity of behavioral assessment for predicting military recruiter performance.Journal of Applied Psychology, 67(1), 3–9.
- Bray, D. W., & Campbell, R. J. (1968). Selection of salesmen by means of an assessment center.Journal of Applied Psychology, 52(1), 36–41.
- Byham, W. C., & Thornton, G. C., III (1986). Assessment centers. In R. A. Berk (Ed.),Performance assessment methods and applications (pp. 143–165). Baltimore: The John Hopkins Press.
- Cascio, W. F. (1982).Costing human resources: The financial impact of behavior in organizations. Boston: Kent Publishing Company.
- Pralicx, R. D., & Raju, N. S. (1982). A comparision of five methods for combining multiple criteria into a single composite.Educational and Psychological Measurement, 42, 823–827.
- Gilbert, P. J. (1981). An investigation of clinical and mechanical combination of assessment center data.Journal of Assessment Center Technology, 4(2), 1–10.
- Howard, A. (1974). An assessment of assessment centers.Academy of Management Journal, 17(1), 115–134.
- Hunter, J. E. & Hunter, R. (1984). Validity and utility of alternative predictors of job performance.Psychological Bulletin, 96(1), 72–98.
- Korman, A. K. (1968). The prediction of managerial performance: A review.Personnel Psychology, 21, 295–322.
- Meehl, P. E. (1954).Clinical vs. statistical prediction: A theoretical analysis and review of the evidence. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- McEvoy, G. M., Beatty, R. W., & Bernardin, H. J. (in press). Unanswered questions in assessment center research.Journal of Business and Psychology
- Mendoza, R. H. & Craig, L. (1983a). An integrated selection system for entry-level criminal justice personnel featuring the assessment center approach.Journal of Assessment Center Technology, 6(1), 1–7.
- Mendoza, R. H. & Craig, L. (1983b).The Dade-Miami Criminal Justice Assessment Center: One year later. Paper presented at the 1983 Academy of Criminal Justice Science Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Mitchel, J. O. (1975). Assessment center validity: A longitudinal study.Journal of Applied Psychology, 60(5), 573–579.
- Moses, J. L. (1985). Using clinical methods in a high-level management assessment center. In J. Bernardin and D. Bownas (Eds.)Personality assessment in organizations. New York: Praeger.
- Sackett, P. R., & Wilson, M.A. (1982). Factors affecting consensus judgment process in managerial assessment centers.Journal of Applied Psychology, 67(1), 10–17.
- Sawyer, J. (1966). Measurement and Prediction, Clinical and Statistical,Psychological Bulletin, 66, 178–200.
- Task Force on assessment center standards, (1980). Standards and ethical considerations for assessment center operations.Personnel Administrator, 25(2), 35–38.
- Tziner, A., & Dolan, S. (1982). Validity of an assessment center for identifying future female officers in the military.Journal of Applied Psychology, 67(6), 728–736.
- Walsh, J. P., Weinberg, R. M., & Fairfield, M. L. (1986). The effects of gender on assessment center evaluations. Paper presented at the Academy of Management, Chicago, II.
- Wollowick, H. B., & McNamara, W. J. (1969). Relationship of the components of an assessment center to management success.Journal of Applied Psychology, 53(5), 348–352.
- Zedeck, S., & Cascio, W. F. (1984). Psychological issues in personnel decisions.Annual Review of Psychology, 35, 461–518.
- Should assessment center dimension ratings be mechanically-derived?
Journal of Business and Psychology
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 217-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors