Should assessment center dimension ratings be mechanically-derived?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the relationship between consensusderived and mechanically-derived assessment center ratings using a sample of 110 police candidates. It was determined that the two sets of dimension ratings were highly correlated (medianr=.83). Further, the mechanically-derived and the consensus-derived assessment ratings both correlated with the overall assessment ratings (OAR) at .71. It was estimated that the organization in this study could save $6137.92 a year, and $36.89 per assessee by eliminating the team meeting (consensus decision-making).
- Bernardin, H. J., Beatty, R. W. (1984) Performance appraisal: Assessing human behavior at work. Kent Publishing Company, Boston
- Borman, W. C. (1982) Validity of behavioral assessment for predicting military recruiter performance. Journal of Applied Psychology 67: pp. 3-9
- Bray, D. W., Campbell, R. J. (1968) Selection of salesmen by means of an assessment center. Journal of Applied Psychology 52: pp. 36-41
- Byham, W. C., Thornton, G. C. Assessment centers. In: Berk, R. A. eds. (1986) Performance assessment methods and applications. The John Hopkins Press, Baltimore, pp. 143-165
- Cascio, W. F. (1982) Costing human resources: The financial impact of behavior in organizations. Kent Publishing Company, Boston
- Pralicx, R. D., Raju, N. S. (1982) A comparision of five methods for combining multiple criteria into a single composite. Educational and Psychological Measurement 42: pp. 823-827
- Gilbert, P. J. (1981) An investigation of clinical and mechanical combination of assessment center data. Journal of Assessment Center Technology 4: pp. 1-10
- Howard, A. (1974) An assessment of assessment centers. Academy of Management Journal 17: pp. 115-134
- Hunter, J. E., Hunter, R. (1984) Validity and utility of alternative predictors of job performance. Psychological Bulletin 96: pp. 72-98
- Korman, A. K. (1968) The prediction of managerial performance: A review. Personnel Psychology 21: pp. 295-322
- Meehl, P. E. (1954) Clinical vs. statistical prediction: A theoretical analysis and review of the evidence. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis
- McEvoy, G. M., Beatty, R. W., & Bernardin, H. J. (in press). Unanswered questions in assessment center research.Journal of Business and Psychology
- Mendoza, R. H., Craig, L. (1983) An integrated selection system for entry-level criminal justice personnel featuring the assessment center approach. Journal of Assessment Center Technology 6: pp. 1-7
- Mendoza, R. H. & Craig, L. (1983b).The Dade-Miami Criminal Justice Assessment Center: One year later. Paper presented at the 1983 Academy of Criminal Justice Science Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Mitchel, J. O. (1975) Assessment center validity: A longitudinal study. Journal of Applied Psychology 60: pp. 573-579
- Moses, J. L. Using clinical methods in a high-level management assessment center. In: Bernardin, J., Bownas, D. eds. (1985) Personality assessment in organizations. Praeger, New York
- Sackett, P. R., Wilson, M.A. (1982) Factors affecting consensus judgment process in managerial assessment centers. Journal of Applied Psychology 67: pp. 10-17
- Sawyer, J. (1966) Measurement and Prediction, Clinical and Statistical. Psychological Bulletin 66: pp. 178-200
- Standards and ethical considerations for assessment center operations. Personnel Administrator 25: pp. 35-38
- Tziner, A., Dolan, S. (1982) Validity of an assessment center for identifying future female officers in the military. Journal of Applied Psychology 67: pp. 728-736
- Walsh, J. P., Weinberg, R. M., & Fairfield, M. L. (1986). The effects of gender on assessment center evaluations. Paper presented at the Academy of Management, Chicago, II.
- Wollowick, H. B., McNamara, W. J. (1969) Relationship of the components of an assessment center to management success. Journal of Applied Psychology 53: pp. 348-352
- Zedeck, S., Cascio, W. F. (1984) Psychological issues in personnel decisions. Annual Review of Psychology 35: pp. 461-518
- Should assessment center dimension ratings be mechanically-derived?
Journal of Business and Psychology
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 217-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors