Behavioral treatment of chronic cluster headache in a geriatric patient
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
While nonpharmacological treatment of migraine and tension headache has increasingly been demonstrated to be efficacious, relatively little attention has been focused upon treatment of the more severe cluster headache. This has particularly been the case for the type of cluster headache known as chronic cluster. The present case study focused upon the treatment of a 69-year-old male with a 37-year history of headache activity. The description of headache matched those criteria currently considered to be indicative of chronic cluster headache. Following 6 weeks of baseline, during which daily ratings of head pain and daily ingestion of “as needed” (PRN) pain medication were collected a 7-week treatment phase was implemented. Treatment consisted of thermal biofeedback coupled with a spouse contingency program (i.e., directing the spouse to avoid consequating subject reports of head pain). During the treatment phase, a near-100% reduction in amount of weekly PRN pain medication ingested was noted, along with a decrease in self-reports of head pain. Both of these decreases were maintained at 1-month, 4-month, and 15-month follow-ups. Implications for treatment of chronic cluster headache were discussed.
- Ad Hoc Committee on Classification of Headache. (1962). Classification of headache.Journal of the American Medical Association, 179 127–128.
- Andrasik, F., Blanchard, E. B., Arena, J. G., Teders, S. J., Teevan, R. C., & Rodichok, L. D. (1982). Psychological functioning in headache sufferers.Psychosomatic Medicine, 44 171–182.
- Andrasik, F., & Holroyd, K. A. (1980). A test of specific and nonspecific effects in the biofeedback treatment of tension headache.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 48 575–586.
- Benson, H., Klemehuk, H. P., & Graham, J. R. (1974). The usefulness of the relaxation response in the therapy of headache.Headache, 13 49–52.
- Blanchard, E. B., Andrasik, F., Ahles, T. A., Teders, S. J., & O'Keefe, D. (1980). Migraine and tension headache: A meta-analytic review,Behavior Therapy, 11 613–631.
- Blanchard, E. B., Andrasik, F., & Arena, J. G. (in press). Personality and chronic headache. In B. Maher (Ed.),Progress in experimental personality research (Vol. 13). New York: Academic Press.
- Blanchard, E. B., Andrasik, F., Jurish, S. J., & Teders, S. J. (1982). The treatment of cluster headache with relaxation and thermal biofeedback.Biofeedback and Self-Regulation, 7 185–191.
- Blanchard, E. B., Andrasik, F., Neff, D. F., Arena, J. G., Ahles, T. A., Jurish, S. J., Pallmeyer, T. P., Saunders, N. L., Teders, S. J., Barron, K. D., & Rodichok, L. D. (1982). Biofeedback and relaxation training with three kinds of headache: Treatment effects and their prediction.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 50 562–575.
- Ekbom, K., & Olivarius, B. De F. (1971). Chronic migrainous neuralgia — diagnostic and therapeutic aspects.Headache, 11 97–101.
- Hersen, M., & Barlow, D. H. (1976).Single case experimental designs. New York: Pergamon Press.
- Hoelscher, T. J., & Lichstein, K. L. (1983). Blood volume pulse biofeedback treatment of chronic cluster headache.Biofeedback and Self-Regulation.
- Holroyd, K. A., & Andrasik, F. (1982).A cognitive-behavioral approach to recurrent tension and migraine headache. In P. C. Kendall (Ed.),Advances in cognitive-behavioral research and therapy. New York: Academic Press.
- Kudrow, L. (1980).Cluster headache: Mechanisms and management. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sternbach, R. A., Dalessio, D. J., Kunzel, M., & Bowman, G. E. (1980). MMPI patterns in common headache disorders.Headache, 20 311–315.
- Behavioral treatment of chronic cluster headache in a geriatric patient
Biofeedback and Self-regulation
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 201-208
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- chronic cluster headache
- thermal biofeedback
- Industry Sectors