Blood volume pulse biofeedback treatment of chronic cluster headache
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Behavioral interventions shown to be clinically effective in the treatment of migraine headache have generally not been employed for cluster headache. Herein, we report on the treatment of a severe case of chronic cluster headache with a common method of migraine treatment, temporal blood volume pulse (BVP) biofeedback. The patient was a 61-year-old male, medically diagnosed as suffering from chronic cluster headaches for over 20 years. Following an 18-day baseline, 14 BVP biofeedback sessions were conducted over a 7-week period. By the last 2 weeks of treatment, there was a 70% reduction in daily headache frequency and a 45% decrease in headache severity. Improvement was maintained at 1, 3, 6, 12, and 21 months follow-up. Large decreases in the consumption of migraine abortives, narcotic analgesics, and antiemetics were also observed. These encouraging results call for further evaluation of the efficacy of BVP biofeedback treatment of chronic cluster headache.
- Adler, C. S., & Adler, S. M. (1976). Biofeedback-psychotherapy for the treatment of headaches: A 5-year follow-up.Headache, 16 189–191.
- Bakal, D. A., & Kaganov, J. A. (1976). A simple method for self-observation of headache frequency, intensity, and location.Headache, 16 123–124.
- Benson, H., Klemchuk, H. P., & Graham, J. R. (1974). The usefulness of the relaxation response in the therapy of headache.Headache, 13 49–52.
- Bild, R., & Adams, H. E. (1980). Modification of migraine headaches by cephalic blood volume pulse and EMG biofeedback.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 48 51–57.
- Blanchard, E. B., Andrasik, F., Jurish, S. E., & Teders, S. J. (1982). The treatment of cluster headache with relaxation and thermal biofeedback.Biofeedback and Self-Regulation, 7 185–191.
- Budzynski, T. H., Stoyva, J. M., Adler, C. S., & Mullaney, D. J. (1973). EMG biofeedback and tension headache: A controlled outcome study.Psychosomatic Medicine, 35 484–496.
- Ekbom, K., & Olivarius, B. de F. (1971). Chronic migrainous neuralgia — Diagnostic and therapeutic aspects.Headache, 11 97–101.
- Friar, L. R., & Beatty, J. (1976). Migraine: Management by trained control of vasoconstriction.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 44 46–53.
- Friedman, A. P. (1969). Atypical facial pain.Headache, 9 27–30.
- Kudrow, L. (1980).Cluster headache: Mechanisms and management. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Lichstein, K. L., Hoelscher, T. J., Nickel, R., & Hoon, P. W. (1983). An integrated blood volume pulse biofeedback system for migraine treatment.Biofeedback and Self-Regulation, 8 127–134.
- Sturgis, E. T., Tollison, C. D., & Adams, H. E. (1978). Modification of combined migraine-muscle contraction headaches using BVP and EMG feedback.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 11 215–223.
- Blood volume pulse biofeedback treatment of chronic cluster headache
Biofeedback and Self-regulation
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 533-541
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- chronic cluster headache
- blood volume pulse biofeedback
- Industry Sectors