Parameters for Wh-movement types: Evidence from child English
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we report on a longitudinal study investigating Wh-constructions in children ranging initially from 2;11 to 5;7. We found that, in addition to accepting English-type Wh-movement, some children, for a period of time, also acceptpartial Wh-movement, Wh-copying, andmultiple Wh-movement, constructions that exist in languages like German and Romani, in which a Wh-phrase occurs in a [-Wh] SpecCP. Importantly, none of the children who accept these construction types manifest the That-Trace Effect. To account for this correlation, we propose an analysis whereby grammars allowing the Wh-constructions do not have the [pred] feature of Rizzi (1990) that distinguishes the specifier of relative clauses from other SpecCPs. We suggest that children are born with their parameter set in this way and later, if they are learning a language like English, switch to a grammar that includes the [pred] feature.
- Abney, Steven: 1985, ‘Functor Theory and Licensing: Toward the Elimination of the Base Component’, manuscript, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Armbuster, Thomas: 1981, ‘How to Influence Responses to “Is Kathy Easy to See?”’,Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 10, 27–39.
- Berwick, Robert C.: 1985,The Acquisition of Syntactic Knowledge, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Brown, Roger and Camille Hanlon: 1970, ‘Derivational Complexity and the Order of Acquisition of Child Speech’, in J. R. Hayes (ed.),Cognition and the Development of Language, Wiley, New York, pp. 11–53.
- Byrne, Brian: 1981, ‘Deficient Syntactic Control in Poor Readers: Is a Weak Phonetic Memory Coder Responsible?’,Applied Psycholinguistics 2, 201–212.
- Cairns, Helen S., Dana McDaniel, Jennifer R. Hsu and Michele Rapp: 1994, ‘A Longitudinal Study of Principles of Control and Pronomial Reference in Child English’,Language 70, 260–288.
- Cambon, Jacqueline and Hermine Sinclair: 1974, ‘Relations between Syntax and Semantics: Are They “Easy to See?”’,British Journal of Psychology 65, 133–140.
- Chomsky, Carol: 1969,The Acquisition of Syntax in Children from 5 to 10, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Chomsky, Noam: 1993, ‘A Minimalist Program for Linguistic Theory’, in K. Hale and S.J. Keyser (eds.),The View from Building 20: Essays in Linguistics in Honor of Sylvain Bromberger, MIT Press, Cambridge Massachusetts, pp. 1–52.
- Cowart, Wayne: 1993, ‘Introspective Data’, unpublished manuscript, University of Southern Maine.
- Crain, Stephen and Cecile McKee: 1988, ‘Easy Acquisition’, paper presented at the Workshop on Language Processing and Language Acquisition, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Cromer, Richard: 1970, ‘Children are Nice to Understand: Surface Structure Clues for the Recovery of Deep Structure’,British Journal of Psychology 61, 397–408.
- Dayal, Veneeta Srivastav: to appear, ‘Scope Marking as Indirect Wh Dependency’,Natural Language Semantics.
- de Villiers, Jill, Thomas Roeper and Anne Vainikka: 1990, ‘The Acquisition of Long-distance Rules’, in L. Frazier and J. de Villiers (eds.),Language Processing and Language Acquisition, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 257–297.
- Fukui, Naoki and Margaret Speas: 1986, ‘Specifiers and Projection’,MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 8, Department of Linguistics and Philosophy, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, pp. 128–172.
- Georgopoulos, Carol: 1984, ‘Resumptive Pronouns, Syntactic Binding, and Levels of Representation in Belauan’,Proceedings of NELS XIV, pp. 81–97.
- Haider, Hubert: 1983, ‘Connectedness Effects in German’,Groninger Arbeit zur Germanistischen Linguistik 23, 26–64.
- Higginbotham, James and Robert May: 1981, ‘Questions, Quantifiers and Crossing’,The Linguistic Review 1, 41–80.
- Huang, James: 1982,Logical Relations in Chinese and the Theory of Grammar, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Lasnik, Howard and Mamoru Saito: 1992,Move Alpha: Conditions on Its Application and Output, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Longobardi, Guiseppe: 1990, ‘N-movement in Syntax and LF’, paper presented at the GLOW Colloquium, Cambridge, England.
- Matthews, Robert J. and William Demopoulos (eds.): 1989,Learnability and Linguistic Theory, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- McDaniel, Dana: 1986,Conditions on Wh-chains, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, City University of New York.
- McDaniel, Dana: 1989, ‘Partial and Multiple Wh-movement’,NLLT 7, 565–604.
- McDaniel, Dana and Helen S. Cairns: 1990, ‘The Child as Informant: Eliciting Intuitions from Young Children’,Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 19, 331–344.
- McDaniel, Dana, Helen S. Cairns and Jennifer R. Hsu: 1990, ‘Binding Principles in the Grammars of Young Children’,Language Acquisition 1, 121–138.
- ——: 1991, ‘Control Principles in the Grammars of Young Children’,Language Acquisition 1, 297–335.
- McDaniel, Dana and Thomas L. Maxfield: 1992, ‘Principle B and Contrastive Stress’,Language Acquisition 2, 337–358.
- McKee, Cecile, Dana McDaniel and Jesse Snedeker: in preparation, ‘Relative Clauses Produced by English-Speaking Children’.
- Pesetsky, David: 1982, ‘Complementizer-trace Phenomena and the Nominative Island Condition’,Linguistic Review 1, 297–343.
- Petronio, Karen: 1993,Clause Structure in ASL, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Washington.
- Pinker, Steven: 1984,Language Learnability and Language Development, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Rizzi, Luigi: 1982,Issues in Italian Syntax, Foris, Dordrecht.
- Rizzi, Luigi: 1990,Relativized Minimality, MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Roeper, Thomas and Ana Teresa Pérez-Leroux: 1992, ‘Copying and Binding in the Acquisition of Wh-Movement’, paper presented at the 17th Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Roeper, Thomas and Jill de Villiers: 1991, ‘The Emergence of Bound Variable Structures’, in T.L. Maxfield and B. Plunkett (eds.),Papers in the Acquisition of WH: Proceedings of the UMASS Roundtable, GLSA, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, pp. 225–265.
- Roeper, Thomas and Edwin Williams (eds.): 1987,Parameter Setting, D. Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Rudin, Catherine: 1988, ‘On Multiple Questions and Multiple WH Fronting’,NLLT 6, 445–501.
- Schlisselberg, Gloria: 1988,Development of Selected Conservation Skills and the Ability to Judge Sentence Well-formedness in Young Children, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, City University of New York.
- Sobin, Nicholas: 1987, ‘The Variable Status of COMP-trace Phenomena’,NLLT 5, 33–60.
- Srivastav, Veneeta: 1991,WH Dependencies in Hindi and the Theory of Grammar, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Cornell University, New York.
- Thornton, Rosalind: 1990a, ‘A Principle-based Explanation of Some Exceptional Wh-questions’, paper presented at the 15th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development.
- Thornton, Rosalind: 1990b,Adventures in Long-distance Moving: The Acquisition of Complex Wh-questions, unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Connecticut.
- Wahba, Wafaa: 1992, ‘On LF Movement in Arabic’, in C.-T. J. Huang and R. May (eds.),Logical Structure and Linguistic Structure, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp. 253–276.
- Wexler, Kenneth and M. Rita Manzini: 1987, ‘Parameters and Learnability in Binding Theory’, in T. Roeper and E. Williams (eds.),Parameter Setting, D. Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Parameters for Wh-movement types: Evidence from child English
Natural Language & Linguistic Theory
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 709-753
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Language Sciences Laboratory, University of Southern Maine, 96 Falmouth St., 04103, Portland, ME
- 2. Department of English, National Taiwan Normal University, 162 Hoping East Road, Section 1, 10601, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
- 3. Departments of Linguistics and Psychology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 01003, Amherst, MA