Effectiveness of student-rating feedback for improving college instruction: A meta-analysis of findings
- Peter A. Cohen
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article applied meta-analytic methodology to integrate findings from 22 comparisons of the effectiveness of student-rating feedback at the college level. On the average, feedback had a modest but significant effect on improving instruction. Instructors receiving mid-semester feedback averaged. 16 of a rating point higher on end-of-semester overall ratings than did instructors receiving no mid-semester feedback. This corresponded to a gain of over one-third of a standard-deviation unit, or a percentile gain of 15 points. The effects of student-rating feedback were accentuated when augmentation or consultation accompanied the ratings. Other study features, such as the length of time available to implement changes and the use of normative data, did not produce different effect sizes.
- Abrami, P. C., Leventhal, L., & Perry, R. P. Can feedback from student ratings help to improve college teaching?Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Improving University Teaching. London: 1979.
- Aleamoni, L. M. The usefulness of student evaluations in improving college teaching.Instructional Science 1978,7 95–105.
- Bess, J. L. The motivation to teach.Journal of Higher Education 1977,48 243–258.
- Braunstein, D. N., Klein, G. A., & Pachla, M. Feedback expectancy and shifts in student ratings of college faculty.Journal of Applied Psychology 1973,58 254–258.
- Carter, K. R. The effect of student feedback in modifying teaching performance. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Georgia, 1974.
- Centra, J. A. Effectiveness of student feedback in modifying college instruction.Journal of Educational Psychology 1973,65 395–401.
- Cohen, J.Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (Rev. ed.). New York: Academic, 1977.
- Cohen, P. A., & Herr, G. A procedure for diagnostic instructional feedback: The Formative Assessment of College Teaching (FACT) model.Educational Technology 1979,19 18–23. (a)
- Cohen, P. A., & Herr, G.Improving instruction in the college classroom: does mid-semester rating feedback make a difference? Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, 1979(b).
- Cohen, P. A., & McKeachie, W. J.The role of colleagues in the evaluation of college teaching. Improving Collegeand University Teaching, in press.
- Costin, F., Greenough, W. T., & Menges, R. J. Student ratings of college teaching: Reliability, validity, and usefulness.Review of Educational Research 1971,41 511–535.
- Erickson, G. R., & Erickson, B. L. Improving college teaching: An evaluation of a teaching consultation procedure.Journal of Higher Education 1979,50 670–683.
- Glass, G. V. Primary, secondary, and meta-analysis of research.Educational Researcher 1976,5 3–8.
- Howard, G. S. A program to improve instruction: A promising area for psychologists.Professional Psychology 1977,8 316–327.
- Hoyt, D. P., & Howard, G. S. The evaluation of faculty development programs.Research in Higher Education 1978,8 25–38.
- Isaacson, R. L., McKeachie, W. J., Milholland, J. E., Lin, Y. G., Hofeller, M., Baerwaldt, J. W., & Zinn, K. L. Dimensions of student evaluations of teaching.Journal of Educational Psychology 1964,55 344–351.
- Kulik, J. A., Cohen, P. A., & Ebeling, B. J. Effectiveness of programmed instruction in higher education: A meta-analysis of findings.Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, in press.
- Kulik, J. A., & Kulik, C-L. C. Student ratings of instruction.Teaching of Psychology 1974,1 51–57.
- Kulik, J. A., Kulik C-L. C., & Cohen, P. A. A meta-analysis of outcome studies of Keller's personalized system of instruction.American Psychologist 1979,34 307–318. (a)
- Kulik, J. A., Kulik, C-L. C., & Cohen, P. A. Research on audiotutorial instruction: a meta-analysis of comparative studies.Research in Higher Education 1979,11 321–341. (b)
- Kulik, J. A., & McKeachie, W. J. The evaluation of teachers in higher education. In F. N. Kerlinger (Ed.),Review of research in education (Vol. 3). Itaska, Ill.: F. E. Peacock Publishers, 1975.
- Marsh, H. W., Fleiner, H., & Thomas, C. S. Validity and usefulness of student evaluations of instructional quality.Journal of Educational Psychology 1975,67 833–839.
- McKeachie, W. J. Student ratings of faculty: A reprise.Academe 1979,65 384–397.
- McKeachie, W. J., & Lin, Y. G.Use of student ratings in evaluation of college teaching. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan, Department of Psychology, 1975.
- Menges, R. J. Evaluating teaching effectiveness: What is the proper role for students?Liberal Education 1979,65 356–370.
- Miller, M. T. Instructor attitudes toward, and their use of, student ratings of teachers.Journal of Educational Psychology 1971,62 235–239.
- Murphy, J. B., & Appel, V. H. The effect of mid-semester student feedback on instructional change and improvement. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Toronto, March 1978.
- Overall, J. U., & Marsh, H. W. Midterm feedback from students: Its relationship to instructional improvement and students' cognitive and affective outcomes.Journal of Educational Psychology 1979,71 856–865.
- Pambookian, H.S. The initial level of student evaluation of instruction as a source of influence on instructor change after feedback.Journal of Educational Psychology 1974,66 52–56.
- Rotem, A.The effects of feedback from students to university professors: an experimental study. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975.
- Rotem, A., & Glasman, N. S. On the effectiveness of students' evaluative feedback to university instructors.Review of Educational Research 1979,49 497–511.
- Scott, N. H.A pilot study testing effects of feedback on teaching behavior as measured by student ratings at New River Community College, Dublin, Virginia. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1976.
- Seibert, W. F. Student evaluations of instruction. In S. C. Ericksen (Ed.),Support for teaching at major universities. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, 1979.
- Sherman, T. M., & Winstead, J. C. A formative approach to student evaluation of instruction.Educational Technology 1975,15 34–39.
- Smith, D. L.The relationship of feedback to professors of the results of student ratings of their teaching effectiveness at mid-semester to their end-of-semester ratings. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Southern California, 1977.
- Stumpf, S. A., Freedman, R. D., & Aguanno, J. C. A path analysis of factors often found to be related to student ratings of teaching effectiveness.Research in Higher Education 1979,11 111–123.
- Thomas, H. B., Jr.Changing teacher behavior: an experiment in feedback from students to teachers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Purdue University, 1969.
- Tuckman, B. W., & Oliver, W. F. Effectiveness of feedback to teachers as a function of source.Journal of Educational Psychology 1968,59 297–301.
- Vogt, K. E., & Lasher, H.Does student evaluation stimulate improved teaching? Bowling Green, Ohio: Bowling Green State University, 1973 (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 078 748).
- Weerts, R. R. The use of feedback from student ratings for improving college teaching. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Toronto, March 1978.
- Effectiveness of student-rating feedback for improving college instruction: A meta-analysis of findings
Research in Higher Education
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 321-341
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Peter A. Cohen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Office of Instructional Services and Educational Research, Dartmouth College, USA