National direct student loan defaulters: The ability to repay
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to determine if there is any difference between the incomes of student borrowers who repay National Direct Student loans and those who do not. The incomes of 681 NDSL borrowers (564 repayers and 117 defaulters) were obtained anonymously from state income tax records. The results showed no difference in the disposable income of repayers and defaulters. A disproportion in the representation of repayers and defaulters in the income tax records, indicating a significantly greater out-migration from the state of defaulters than repayers, clouds the validity of generalization of this study. These findings indicate that student loan default is motivated by factors other than lack of financial resources and are consistent with earlier findings.
- Biglan, A. (1973). The characteristics of subject matter in different academic areas.Journal of Applied Psychology, 57 195–203. (a)
- Biglan, A. (1973). Relationships between subject matter characteristics and the structure and output of university departments.Journal of Applied Psychology, 57 204–213. (b)
- Dyl, E. A., and McGann, F. Discriminant analysis of student loan applications.The Journal of Student Financial Aid 1977,7 35–40.
- Karan, P. P., and Mather, C.Atlas of Kentucky. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 1977.
- Myers, G., and Siera, S. Development and validation of discriminant analysis models for student loan defaulters and non-defaulters.The Journal of Student Financial Aid 1980,10 9–17.
- Pattiilo, L. B., Jr., and Wiant, H. V., Jr. Which students do not repay college loans.The Journal of Student Financial Aid 1972,2 32–35.
- Stephens, R. D. Factors related to defaulting on National Direct Student Loans (Doctoral dissertation, University of Missouri, 1976).Dissertation Abstracts International, 1977, 38/03-A, 626 (University Microfilms No. 77-15553).
- Stockham, D. H., and Hesseldenz, J. S. Predicting National Direct Student Loan defaults: the role of personality data.Research in Higher Education 1979,10 195–205.
- Stover, T. P. Predicting delinquency of National Defense Student Loan borrowers at Texas Tech University through the use of a weighted application (Doctoral dissertation, Indiana University, 1971).Dissertation Abstracts International, 1971, 32/03-A 1307 (University Microfilms No. 71-24542).
- Walton, W. H. An analysis of certain characteristics of delinquent and nondelinquent National Defense Student Loan recipients in selected junior colleges (Doctoral dissertation, University of Texas at Austin, 1968).Dissertation Abstracts International, 1968, 29/06-A 1743 (University Microfilms No. 68-16156).
- Weber, D. F. The correlation of selected characteristics with National Direct Student Loan delinquency rates at institutions located in southeast United States (Doctoral dissertation, University of Mississippi, 1978).Dissertation Abstracts International, 1978, 39/06-A 3411 (University Microfilms No. 78-24064).
- National direct student loan defaulters: The ability to repay
Research in Higher Education
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 3-14
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors