Structural changes in mordenite during its dealuminization
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Treatment with acids leads to the dealuminization of mordenite, condensation of pairs of hydroxyl groups in alternate hydroxyl clusters carrying five-membered rings over to four-membered rings. Dehydroxylation proceeds in such way that two OH groups are first eliminated from each of the hydroxyl clusters, without any loss of crystallinity. Loss of crystallinity is observed only on eliminating the second pair of OH groups from the cluster.
Hydrothermal treatment of the acid-dealuminized mordenite gives a product with enhanced structural stability. This effect results from the healing of vacancies induced by dealuminization, and from an increase in anion skeleton Si/Al ratio arising from Si and O atom migration, the situation here being similar to that met in the hydrothermal stabilization of H-zeolite.
The data suggest that the aluminum atoms which leave the H-mordenite lattice during dehydroxylation do not pass over into the cation state.
- Kühl, G. H. (1973) Proceedings, Third International Conference on Molecular Sieves. Leuven University Press, Leuven
- Barrer, R. M., Klinowski, J. (1975) J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans, 1 71: pp. 690
- Jacobs, P. A., Beyer, H. K. (1979) J. Phys. Chem. 83: pp. 1174
- Kerr, G. T. (1967) J. Phys. Chem. 71: pp. 4155
- Kerr, G. T. (1969) J. Catal. 15: pp. 200
- Jacobs, P. A., Uytterhoeven, J. B. (1971) J. Catal. 22: pp. 193
- Maher, P. K., Hunter, F. D., Scherzer, J. (1971) Ad. Chem. Ser. 101: pp. 266
- Gallezot, P., Beaumont, R., Barthomeuf, D. (1974) J. Phys. Chem. 78: pp. 1550
- Scherzer, J., Bass, J. L. (1973) J. Catal. 28: pp. 101
- Pichat, P., Beaumont, R., Barthomeuf, D. (1974) J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans, 1 70: pp. 1402
- I. Belenykaja (Belen'kaya), H. K. Beyer, A. Kiss, and J. Mihályfi, Proceedings, Second Bulgaro-Soviet Symposium on Natural Zeolites, Krdshali (1979).
- Vedrine, J. C., Abou-Kais, A., Massardier, J., Dalmai-Imelik, G. (1973) J. Catal. 29: pp. 120
- I. M. Belen'kaya, M. M. Dubinin, and I. I. Krishtofori, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2164 (1967).
- I. M. Belen'kaya, M. M. Dubinin, and I. I. Krishtofori, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2184 (1968).
- Barrer, R. M., Makki, M. B. (1964) Can. J. Chem. 42: pp. 1481
- Z. I. Koridze, A. Yu. Krupennikova, and T. G. Andronikashvili, Proceedings of a Symposium on the Study and Applications of Clinoptilolite [in Russian], Tbilisi (1977), p. 96.
- Barrer, R. M., Peterson, D. L. (1964) Proc. Roy. Soc. 280A: pp. 466
- I. M. Belen'kaya, M. M. Dubinin, and I. I. Krishtofori, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2635 (1971).
- I. V. Mishin, G. A. Piloyan, A. L. Klyachko-Gurvich, and A. M. Rubinshtein, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1343 (1973).
- Thakur, D. K., Weller, S. W. (1973) Adv. Chem. Ser. 121: pp. 596
- Wolf, F., John, H. (1974) Chem. Techn. 26: pp. 159
- Beyer, H. K., Belenykaja, I. (1980) Stud. Surf. Sci. Catal. 5: pp. 203
- Scherzer, J. (1978) J. Catal. 54: pp. 285
- Lohse, U., Alsdorf, E., Stach, H. (1978) Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 447: pp. 64
- Flanigen, E. M. In: Rabo, J. A. eds. (1976) Zeolite Chemistry and Catalysis. American Chemical Society, Washingtonpp. 80
- Structural changes in mordenite during its dealuminization
Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Division of chemical science
Volume 31, Issue 7 , pp 1300-1305
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors