Ethnic minority adolescents and the use of community mental health care services
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research was supported by the National Institute of Mental Health Grant MH44331 and 47525. We are indebted to the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health for providing the data for this research.
- Acosta, F. (1979). Barriers between mental health services and Mexican Americans: An examination of a paradox.American Journal of Community Mental Health, 7, 503–520.
- Berlin, I. (1983). Prevention of emotional problems among Native American children: Overview of developmental issues. In S. Chess & A. Thomas (Eds.),Annual progress in child psychiatry and development (pp. 320–333). New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Broman, C. (1987). Race differences in professional help seeking.American Journal of Community Psychology, 15, 473–489.
- Brown, M., Huang, K., Harris, D., & Stein, K. (1973). Mental illness and the role of mental health facilities in Chinatown. In S. Sue, & N. Wagner (Eds.),Asian American: Psychological perspective (pp. 212–231). Palo Alto, CA: Science and Behavior Books.
- Canino, I. A., Gould, M. S., Prupis, S., & Shaffer, D. (1986). A comparison of symptoms and diagnoses in Hispanic and black children in an outpatient mental health clinic.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 254–259.
- Chin, J. (1983). Diagnostic considerations in working with Asian-Americans.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 53, 100–109.
- Cleary, P. (1989). The need and demand for mental health services. In C. Taube, D. Mechanic, & A. Hohmann (Eds.),The future of mental health services (DHSS Publication No. ADM 89-1600, pp. 161–184). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Costello, E., & Janiszewski, S. (1990). Who gets treated? Factors associated with referral in children with psychiatric disorders.Acta Psychiatrica Scandanavica, 81, 523–529.
- Cross, T., Bazron, B., Dennis, K., & Isaacs, M. (1989).Towards a culturally competent system of care. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Child Development Center.
- Gibbs, J. T., & Huang, L. N. (1989).Children of color: Psychological interventions with minority youth. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Hu, T-W., Snowden, L., Jerrell, J. M., & Nguyen, T. D. (1991). Ethnic populations in public mental health: Services and level of use.American Journal of Public Health, 81, 1429–1434.
- Institute of Medicine. (1989).Research on children and adolescents with mental, behavioral, and developmental disorders; Mobilizing a national initiative. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Joint Commission on Mental Health of children. (1970).Crisis in child mental health: Challenge for the 1970s. New York: Harper & Row.
- Katz-Leavy, J., Lourie, I. S., & Kaufman, R. (1987). Meeting the mental health needs of severely emotionally disturbed minority children and adolescents: A national perspective.Children Today, 16(5), 10–14.
- Knitzer, J. (1982).Unclaimed children. Washington, DC: Children's Defense Fund.
- Leong, F. (1986). Counseling and psychotherapy with Asian-americans: Review of the literature.Journal of Counseling Psychology, 33, 196–206.
- Lopez, S. (1981). Mexican-American usage of mental health facilities: Underutilization considered. In A. Baron (Ed.),Explorations in Chicano psychology. New York: Praeger.
- Los Angeles county Department of Health Services. (1988).1980 census and 1985 population estimates for Los Angeles county. Van Nuys, CA: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
- Meinhardt, K., & Vega, W. (1987). A method for estimating underutilization of mental health services by ethnic groups.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 38, 1186–1190.
- Neighbors, H. (1985). Seeking professional help for personal problems: Black Americans use of health and mental health services.Community Mental Health Journal, 21, 156–166.
- Office of Technology Assessment. (1986).Children's mental health: Problems and services—A background paper. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- O'Hare, W. (1989). Poverty in America: Trends and new patterns.Population Bulletin, 40(3).
- O'Sullivan, M. J., Peterson, P. D., Cox, G. B., & Kirkeby, J. (1989). Ethnic populations: Community mental health services ten years later.American Journal of Community Psychology, 17, 17–30.
- Rosenstein, M. J., & Milazzo-Sayre, L. J. (1981).Characteristics of admissions to selected mental health facilities, 1975: An annotated book of charts and tables. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Scheffler, R., & Miller, A. B. (1989). Demand analysis of mental health service use among ethnic subpopulations.Inquiry, 26, 202–215.
- Shore, J. (1978). Destruction of Indian families: Beyond the best interest of Indian children.White Cloud Journal, 1, 13–16.
- Snowden, L. R., & Cheung, F. K. (1990). Use of inpatient mental health services by members of ethnic minority groups.American Psychologist, 45, 347–355.
- Stroul, B. A., & Friedman, R. M. (1986).A system of care for severely emotionally disturbed children and youth. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Child Development Center.
- Sue, S. (1977). Community mental health services to minority groups: Some optimism, some pessimism.American Psychologist, 32, 616–624.
- Sue, S., Fujino, D., Hu, L., Takeuchi, D., & Zane, N. (1991). Community mental health services for ethnic minority groups: A test of the cultural responsiveness hypothesis.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 533–540.
- Sue, S., & McKinney, H. (1975). Asian Americans in the community mental health care system.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 45, 111–118.
- Sue, S., & Morishima, J. (1982).The mental health of Asian Americans. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Takeuchi, D., Leaf, P., & Kuo, H. (1988). Ethnic differences in the perception of barriers to help-seeking.Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 23, 273–280.
- Tracey, T., Leong, F., & Glidden, C. (1986). Help seeking and problem perception of among Asian Americans.Journal of Counseling Psychology, 33, 331–336.
- Ethnic minority adolescents and the use of community mental health care services
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 403-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors