Planar pursuit-evasion with variable speeds, part 1, extremal trajectory maps
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Pursuit evasion in a plane is formulated with both players allowed to vary their speeds between fixed limits. A suitable choice of real-space coordinates confers open-loop optimality on the game. The solution in the small is described in terms of the individual players' extremal trajectory maps (ETM). Each map is independent of role, adversary, and capture radius. An ETM depicts the actual real-space trajectories. A template method of generating constant control arcs is described. Examples of ETM for an aircraft flying at a constant altitude with fixed and varying speeds are presented.
- Rajan, N., Prasad, U. R., Rao, N. J. (1981) Planar Pursuit-Evasion with Variable Speeds, Part 2, Barrier Sections. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 33: pp. 419-432
- Isaacs, R. (1965) Differential Games. John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York
- Breakwell, J. V., andMerz, A. W.,Toward a Complete Solution of the Homicidal Chauffeur Game, Proceedings of the First International Conference on the Theory and Applications of Differential Games, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1969.
- Merz, A. W. (1972) The Game of Two Identical Cars. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 9: pp. 324-343
- Kelley, H. J., Lefton, L. (1973) Differential Turns. AIAA Journal 11: pp. 858-861
- Kelley, H. J. (1975) Differential Turning Optimality Criteria. Journal of Aircraft 12: pp. 41-44
- Kelley, H. J. (1975) Differential Turning Tactics. Journal of Aircraft 12: pp. 930-936
- Kelley, H. J., Lefton, L. (1977) Calculation of Differential Turning Barrier Surfaces. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets 14: pp. 87-95
- Marec, J. P., andNhân, N. V.,Two-Dimensional Pursuit-Evasion Game with Penalty on Turning Rates, Proceedings of the 1976 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Clearwater, Florida, 1976.
- Peng, W. Y., Vincent, T. L. (1975) Some Aspects of Aerial Combat. AIAA Journal 13: pp. 7-11
- Rajan, N., andPrasad, U. R.,The Pursuit-Evasion Problem of Two Aircraft in a Horizontal Plane, Proceedings of 1975 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Houston, Texas, 1975.
- Rajan, N., Prasad, U. R., andRao, N. J.,Pursuit-Evasion of Two Aircraft in a Horizontal Plane (to appear).
- Anderson, G. M., Othling, W. L., andWilliamson-Noble, S. M. D.,The Dynamic Modelling Technique for Obtaining Closed-Loop Control Laws for Aircraft/Aircraft Pursuit-Evasion Problems, Proceedings of the Joint Automatic Control Conference, Stanford, California, 1972.
- Anderson, G. M. (1974) A Near-Optimal Closed-Loop Solution Method for Nonsingular Zero-Sum Differential Games. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 13: pp. 303-318
- Lynch, U. H. D.,Differential Game Barriers and Their Application in Air-to-Air Combat, Air Force Institute of Technology, PhD Thesis, 1973.
- Planar pursuit-evasion with variable speeds, part 1, extremal trajectory maps
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 401-418
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- game barriers
- differential games
- aerial combat
- Industry Sectors