A regression analysis of test bias on the WISC-R for Anglos and Chicanos referred for psychological services
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Predictive validity of the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Revised was investigated across race for 174 Chicano and 94 Anglo children referred for psychological services. Regression lines for the prediction of achievement were compared across race through the Potthoff analysis, which provides a simultaneous test of slope and intercept values. Results of these comparisons generally supported the predictive validity of the WISC-R across race with this referral sample of young children.
- Anastasi, A.Psychological testing (4 th ed.) New York: Macmillan, 1976.
- Bartlett, C. J., & O'Leary, B. S. A differential prediction model to moderate the effect of heterogeneous groups in personnel selection and classification.Personnel Psychology, 1969,22, 1–18.
- Cardall, C., & Coffman, W. A method for comparing the performance of different groups on the items in a test.Research and Development Reports, 1964, 64–65(9), College Entrance Examination Board.
- Cleary, T. A. Test bias: Prediction of grades of Negro and white students in integrated colleges.Journal of Educational Measurement, 1968,5, 115–124.
- Cleary, T. A., Humphreys, L. G., Kendrick, S. A., & Wesman, A. Educational uses of tests with disadvantaged students.American Psychologist, 1975,30, 15–41.
- Cronbach, L. J.Essentials of psychological testing. New York: Harper & Row, 1970.
- Einhorn, J. J., & Bass, A. R. Methodological considerations relevant to discrimination in employment testing.Psychological Bulletin, 1971,75, 261–269.
- Flaugher, R. L. The many definitions of test bias.American Psychologist, 1978,33, 671–679.
- Gutkin, T. B., & Reynolds, C. R. Factorial similarity of the WISC-R for blacks and whites in the standardization sample.Journal of Educational Psychology, in press, (a)
- Gutkin, T. B., & Reynolds, C. R. Factorial similarity of the WISC-R for Anglos and Chicanos referred for psychological services.Journal of School Psychology, in press. (b)
- Humphreys, L. G. Statistical definitions of test validity for minority groups.Journal of Applied Psychology, 1973,58, 14.
- Hunter, J. E., & Schmidt, F. L. Critical analysis of the statistical and ethical implications of various definitions of test bias.Psychological Bulletin, 1976,83, 1053–1071.
- Kallingal, A. The prediction of grades for black and white students at Michigan State University.Journal of Educational Measurement, 1971,8, 263–265.
- Kirkpatrick, J. J.The psychological testing establishment: Vested interests versus responsibility. Paper presented to the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Miami Beach, September 1970.
- Lambert, N.What of tomorrow's children: Tests on Trial II. Paper presented to the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologists, San Diego, March 1979.
- Mercer, J. R.Labelling the mentally retarded. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1973.
- Oakland, T., & Matuszek, P. Using tests in non-discriminatory assessment. In T. Oakland (Ed.),Psychological and educational assessment of minority group children. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1977.
- Potthoff, R. F.Statistical aspects of the problem of biases in psychological tests. Institute of Statistics Mimeo Series No. 479, Chapel Hill, North Carolina: Department of Statistics, 1966.
- Reschly, D. J. WISC-R factor structures among Anglos, Blacks, Chicanos, and native American Papagos.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1978,46, 417–422.
- Reschly, D. J., & Sabers, D. Analysis of test bias in four groups with the regression definition.Journal of Educational Measurement, 1979,16, 1–9.
- Reynolds, C. R., & Gutkin, T. B. Stability of the WISC-R factor structure across sex at two age levels.Journal of Clinical Psychology, in press.
- Reynolds, C. R., Gutkin, T. B., Dappen, L., & Wright, D. Differential validity of the WISC-R for boys and girls referred for psychological services.Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1979,48, 868–870.
- Reynolds, C. R., & Hartlage, L. C. Comparison of WISC and WISC-R regression lines for academic prediction with black and white referred children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1979,47, 589–591.
- Schmidt, F. L., & Hunter, J. E. Racial and ethnic bias in psychological tests: Divergent implications of two definitions of test bias.American Psychologist, 1974,29, 1–8.
- Thorndike, R. L. Concepts of culture-fairness.Journal of Educational Measurement, 1971,8, 63–70.
- Vance, H. B., & Wallbrown, F. H. The factor structure of intelligence for black children: A hierarchial approach.Psychological Record, 1978,28, 31–39.
- Wechsler, D. W.Manual for the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Revised. New York: Psychological Corporation, 1974.
- Williams, R. L. Danger: Testing and dehumanizing black children.Clinical Child Psychology Newsletter, 1970,9, 5–6.
- A regression analysis of test bias on the WISC-R for Anglos and Chicanos referred for psychological services
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 237-243
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links