Dimensions of problem behavior in deaf children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Behavior Problem Checklist was completed by the teachers of 192 deaf students who attended a special day school for the deaf. Three separate factor analyses were performed. Four factors that correspond to the dimensions found in earlier research and previously labeled conduct disorder, personality problems, immaturity inadequacy, and socialized delinquency were found. An additional factor labeled passive inferiority was also extracted.
- Freeman, R., Malkin, S., & Hastings, J. Psychosocial problems of deaf children and their families: A comparative study.American Annals of the Deaf, 1975,120, 391–405.
- Jensema, C., & Trybus, R.Reported emotional/behavioral problems among hearing impaired children in special educational programs: United States, 1972–1973. Series R, Number 1. Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet College Office of Demographic Studies, 1975.
- Levine, E. S. Psychological tests and practices with the deaf: A survey of the state of the art.Volta Review, 1974,76, 298–318.
- Nie, N. H., Hull, C. H., Jenkins, J. G., Steinbrenner, K., & Bent, D. H.Statistical package for the social sciences (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill, 1975.
- Peterson, D. R. Behavior problems of middle childhood.Journal of Consulting Psychology, 1961,25, 205–209.
- Quay, H. C. Dimensions of personality in delinquent boys as inferred from factor analysis of case history data.Child Development, 1964,35, 477–484.
- Quay, H. C. Personality patterns in preadolescent delinquent boys.Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1966,16, 99–110.
- Quay, H. C., Morse, W. C., & Cutler, R. C. Personality patterns of pupils in special classes for the emotionally disturbed.Exceptional Children, 1966,32, 297–301.
- Quay, H. C., & Peterson, D. R.Manual for the Behavior Problem Checklist. Coral Gables: University of Miami, 1975.
- Quay, H. C., & Quay, L. C. Behavior problems in early adolescence.Child Development, 1965,36, 215–220.
- Reivich, R. S., & Rothrock, I. A. Behavior problems of deaf children and adolescents: A factor-analytic study.Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 1972,15, 93–104.
- Salvia, J., & Ysseldyke, J. E.Assessment in special and remedial education. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1978.
- Schlesinger, H., & Meadow, K.Sound and sign: Childhood deafness and mental health. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1972.
- Vernon, M. Psychological, educational and physical characteristics associated with post rubella deaf children.Volta Review, 1967,69, 176–185.
- Dimensions of problem behavior in deaf children
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 221-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links