Social problem-solving skills training: A competence-building intervention with second- to fourth-grade children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research was done with the support of a grant from the New York State Office of Education for which the authors express appreciation.
- Krasnor, L. R., & Rubin, K. H.Preschoolers' verbal and behavioral solutions to social problems. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Ottawa, Canada, June 1978.
- Gesten, E., Rains, M. H., Rapkin, B., Weissberg, R. P., Flores de Apodaca, R., Cowen, E. L., & Bowen, R.Training children in social problem-solving skills: A competence building approach, first and second look. Manuscript submitted for publication, 1980.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Liebenstein, N. L., Doherty-Schmid, K., Hutton, H. (1980) The Rochester social problem-solving (SPS) program: A training manual for teachers of 2nd-4th grade children. University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
- Allen, G. J., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W., Lochman, J. E., Selinger, H. V. (1976) Community psychology and the schools: A behaviorally oriented multilevel preventive approach. Lawrence J. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, N. J.
- Bergin, A. E., Lambert, M. J. The evaluation of therapeutic outcomes. In: Garfield, S. L., Bergin, A. E. eds. (1978) Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. Wiley, New York
- Cowen, E. L. (1973) Social and community interventions. Annual Review of Psychology 24: pp. 423-472
- Cowen, E. L. (1977) Baby-steps toward primary prevention. American Journal of Community Psychology 5: pp. 1-22
- Elardo, P. T., Caldwell, B. M. (1979) The effects of an experimental social development program on children in the middle childhood period. Psychology in the Schools 16: pp. 93-100
- Gesten, E. L. (1976) A Health Resources Inventory: The development of a measure of the personal and social competence of primary-grade children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 44: pp. 775-786
- Gesten, E. L., Flores de Apodaca, R., Rains, M., Weissberg, R. P., Cowen, E. L. Promoting peer related social competence in schools. In: Kent, M. W., Rolf, J. E. eds. (1979) Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 3).Social competence in children. University Press of New England, Hanover, N. H.
- Goldston, S. E. Defining primary prevention. In: Albee, G. W., Joffe, J. M. eds. (1977) Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 1).The issues. University Press of New England, Hanover, N. H.
- Gomes-Schwartz, B., Hadley, S. W., Strupp, H. H. (1978) Psychotherapy and behavior therapy. Annual Review of Psychology 29: pp. 435-472
- Hollingshead, A. B., Redlich, F. C. (1958) Social class and mental illness: A community study. Wiley, New York
- Kenny, D. A. (1975) A quasi-experimental approach to assessing treatment effects in the nonequivalent control group design. Psychological Bulletin 82: pp. 345-362
- Levitt, E. E. Research on psychotherapy with children. In: Bergin, A. E., Garfield, S. L. eds. (1971) Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. Wiley, New York
- Lorion, R. P., Cowen, E. L., Caldwell, R. A. (1975) Normative and parametric analyses of school maladjustment. American Journal of Community Psychology 3: pp. 293-301
- McClure, L. F., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W. (1978) Enhancing social problem-solving performance in an elementary school setting. Journal of Educational Psychology 70: pp. 504-513
- Report to the President. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Shure, M. B., Spivack, G. (1978) Problem-solving techniques in childrearing. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Shure, M. B., Spivack, G. Interpersonal problem-solving thinking and adjustment in the mother-child dyad. In: Kent, M. W., Rolf, J. E. eds. (1979) Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 3).Social competence in children. University Press of New England, Hanover, N.H.
- Spivack, G., Platt, J. J., Shure, M. B. (1976) The problem-solving approach to adjustment. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Spivack, G., Shure, M. B. (1974) Social adjustment of young children. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Rapkin, B. D., Cowen, E. L., Davidson, E., Flores de Apodaca, R., McKim, B. J. (1981) The evaluation of a social problem-solving training program for suburban and inner-city third grade children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 49: pp. 251-261
- Social problem-solving skills training: A competence-building intervention with second- to fourth-grade children
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 9, Issue 4 , pp 411-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Rochester, 14627, Rochester, New York
- 2. University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- 3. University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
- 4. University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina