Social problem-solving skills training: A competence-building intervention with second- to fourth-grade children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research was done with the support of a grant from the New York State Office of Education for which the authors express appreciation.
- Krasnor, L. R., & Rubin, K. H.Preschoolers' verbal and behavioral solutions to social problems. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Ottawa, Canada, June 1978.
- Gesten, E., Rains, M. H., Rapkin, B., Weissberg, R. P., Flores de Apodaca, R., Cowen, E. L., & Bowen, R.Training children in social problem-solving skills: A competence building approach, first and second look. Manuscript submitted for publication, 1980.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Liebenstein, N. L., Doherty-Schmid, K., & Hutton, H.The Rochester social problem-solving (SPS) program: A training manual for teachers of 2nd-4th grade children. Rochester, N.Y.: University of Rochester, 1980.
- Allen, G. J., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W., Lochman, J. E., & Selinger, H. V.Community psychology and the schools: A behaviorally oriented multilevel preventive approach. Hillsdale, N. J.: Lawrence J. Erlbaum, 1976.
- Bergin, A. E., & Lambert, M. J. The evaluation of therapeutic outcomes. In S. L. Garfield & A. E. Bergin (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley, 1978.
- Cowen, E. L. Social and community interventions.Annual Review of Psychology, 1973,24, 423–472.
- Cowen, E. L. Baby-steps toward primary prevention.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1977,5, 1–22.
- Elardo, P. T., & Caldwell, B. M. The effects of an experimental social development program on children in the middle childhood period.Psychology in the Schools, 1979,16, 93–100.
- Gesten, E. L. A Health Resources Inventory: The development of a measure of the personal and social competence of primary-grade children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1976,44, 775–786.
- Gesten, E. L., Flores de Apodaca, R., Rains, M., Weissberg, R. P., & Cowen, E. L. Promoting peer related social competence in schools. In M. W. Kent & J. E. Rolf (Eds.),Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 3).Social competence in children. Hanover, N. H.: University Press of New England, 1979.
- Goldston, S. E. Defining primary prevention. In G. W. Albee & J. M. Joffe (Eds.),Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 1).The issues. Hanover, N. H.: University Press of New England, 1977.
- Gomes-Schwartz, B., Hadley, S. W., & Strupp, H. H. Psychotherapy and behavior therapy.Annual Review of Psychology, 1978,29, 435–472.
- Hollingshead, A. B., & Redlich, F. C.Social class and mental illness: A community study. New York: Wiley, 1958.
- Kenny, D. A. A quasi-experimental approach to assessing treatment effects in the nonequivalent control group design.Psychological Bulletin, 1975,82, 345–362.
- Levitt, E. E. Research on psychotherapy with children. In A. E. Bergin & S. L. Garfield (Eds.),Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change. New York: Wiley, 1971.
- Lorion, R. P., Cowen, E. L., & Caldwell, R. A. Normative and parametric analyses of school maladjustment.American Journal of Community Psychology, 1975,3, 293–301.
- McClure, L. F., Chinsky, J. M., & Larcen, S. W. Enhancing social problem-solving performance in an elementary school setting.Journal of Educational Psychology, 1978,70, 504–513.
- President's Commission on Mental Health.Report to the President (Vol. 1). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1978. (Stock No. 040-000-00390-8)
- Shure, M. B., & Spivack, G.Problem-solving techniques in childrearing. San Francisco. Jossey-Bass, 1978.
- Shure, M. B., & Spivack, G. Interpersonal problem-solving thinking and adjustment in the mother-child dyad. In M. W. Kent & J. E. Rolf (Eds.),Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 3).Social competence in children. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England, 1979.
- Spivack, G., Platt, J. J., & Shure, M. B.The problem-solving approach to adjustment. San Francisco. Jossey-Bass, 1976.
- Spivack, G., & Shure, M. B.Social adjustment of young children. San Francisco. Jossey-Bass, 1974.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Rapkin, B. D., Cowen, E. L., Davidson, E., Flores de Apodaca, R., & McKim, B. J. The evaluation of a social problem-solving training program for suburban and inner-city third grade children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1981,49, 251–261.
- Social problem-solving skills training: A competence-building intervention with second- to fourth-grade children
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 9, Issue 4 , pp 411-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Rochester, 14627, Rochester, New York
- 2. University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- 3. University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
- 4. University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina