College teaching: What do we know about it?
- K. Patricia Cross
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
She received her Ph.D. in 1958 from the University of Illinois. Dr. Cross's numerous scholarly publications, and honorary degrees attest to her international standing as an authority on postsecondary education. She is the author of dozens of articles and monographs as well as six books includingBeyond the Open Door: New Students to Higher Education; Accent on Learning: Improving Instruction and Reshaping the Curriculum, and; Adults as Learners.
This paper is based on the author's Louise McBee Lecture, presented at the University of Georgia, October 25, 1990.
- Ausubel, D. P. (1977) “The Facilitation of Meaningful Verbal Learning in the Classroom,”Educational Psychologist, 12, 162–178.
- Axelrod, J. (1973) “The Professor as Artist at Teaching.” In M. Freedman (Issue Ed.),Facilitating Faculty Development. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Bransford, J. D. & Johnson, M. K. (1972) “Contextual Prerequisites for Understanding: Some Investigations of Comprehension and Recall.”Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior. 717–726.
- Cross, K. Patricia. (1988)Feedback in the Classroom: Making Assessment Matter. Washington, D.C.: Assessment Forum, American Association for Higher Education.
- Cross, K. Patricia and Angelo, Thomas A. (1988)Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for Faculty. Ann Arbor; NCRIPTAL, University of Michigan, 1988.
- Feldman, K. A. (1976) “The Superior College Teacher from the Students' View.”Research in Higher Education, 5 (3), 243–248.
- Fenstermacher, Gary D. (1982) “On Learning to Teach Effectively from Research on Teaching Effectiveness.”Journal of Classroom Interaction, 17 (2), 7–12.
- Guskey, T. R. (1988)Improving Student Learning in College Classrooms. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas, 1988, Chapter 1, 3–14.
- Kulik, J. A. and McKeachie, W. J. (1975) “The Evaluation of Teaching in Higher Education.”Review of Research in Education, 3, 210–240.
- Levinson-Rose, J. and Menges, R. J. (1981) “Improving College Teaching: A Critical Review.”Review of Educational Research, 51, 403–434.
- McDonald, F. and Elias, P. (1976) Executive Summary Report: Beginning Teacher Evaluation Study, Phases II. Princeton, N.J.: Educational Testing Service.
- Parsons, T. & Platt, G. M. (1973).The American Universities. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Powell, Marjorie. (1978) “Research on Teaching.”Educational Forum, Vol. 62, pp. 27–37.
- College teaching: What do we know about it?
Innovative Higher Education
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 7-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of California, Berkeley