Evaluation of a social problem-solving skills program for third- and fourth-grade students
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors thank Mark Pancer and Richard Walsh for their comments on this paper and Dé Bryant and Carol Weishaar for assistance with data collection and scoring and computer input; the teachers and students for their participation and the editorial reviewers of this article for their very helpful suggestions. This research was funded by a Short-Term Research Grant and a Research Fellowship to the first author from the Faculty of Graduate Studies at Wilfrid Laurier University.
- Allen, G. J., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W., Lochman, J. E., & Selinger, H. V. (1976).Community psychology and the schools: A behaviorally oriented multilevel preventive approach. Hillside, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Bierman, K. L., & Furman, W. (1984). The effects of social skills training and peer involvement on the social adjustment of preadolescents,Child Development, 55, 151–162.
- Durlak, J. A. (1983). Social problem-solving as a primary prevention strategy. In R. D. Felner, L. A. Jason, J. N. Moritsugu, & S. S. Farber (Eds.),Preventive psychology: Theory research and practice (pp. 31–48). New York: Pergamon.
- Elardo, P., & Cooper, M. (1977).AWARE: Activities for social development. Don Mills, Ontario: Addison-Wesley.
- Gesten, E. L., Rains, M., Rapkin, B. D., Weissberg, R. P., Flores de Apodaca, R., Cowen, E. L., & Bowen, R. (1982). Training children in social problem-solving competencies: A first and second look.American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 95–115.
- Gottman, J., Gonso, J., & Rasmussen, B. (1975). Social interaction, social competence, and friendship in children.Child Development, 46, 709–718.
- Gresham, F. M. (1981). Validity of social skills measures for assessing social competence in low-status children: A multivariate investigation.Developmental Psychology, 17, 390–398.
- Kazdin, A. E., Matson, J. L., & Esveldt-Dawson, K. (1984). The relationship of role-play assessment of children's social skills to multiple measures of social competence.Behavior Research and Therapy, 22, 129–139.
- Kohler, F. W., & Fowler, S. A. (1985). Training prosocial behaviors to young children: An analysis of reciprocity with untrained peers.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 18, 187–200.
- Krasnor, L. R., & Rubin, K. H. (1981). The assessment of social problem-solving skills in young children. In T. Merluzzi, C. Glass, & M. Genest (Eds.),Cognitive assessment (pp. 452–476). New York: Guiford.
- Ladd, G. W. (1981). Effectiveness of a social learning method for enhancing children's social interaction and peer acceptance.Child Development, 52, 171–178.
- Ladd, G. W., & Mize, J. (1983). A cognitive-social learning model of social-skill training.Psychological Review, 90, 127–157.
- LaGreca, A. M., & Santogrossi, D. A. (1980). Social skills training with elementary school students: A behavioral group approach.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 48, 220–227.
- McClure, L. F., Chinsky, J. M., & Larcen, S. W. (1978). Enhancing social problem-solving performance.Journal of Educational Psychology, 3, 293–301.
- Nelson, G., Bennett, E. M., Dudeck, J., & Mason, R. V. (1982). Resource exchange: A case study.Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 1, 55–63.
- Oden, S., & Asher, S. R. (1977). Coaching children in social skills for friendship making.Child Development, 48, 495–506.
- Pancer, S. M., & Weinstein, S. M. (1987). The development of affective skills in school-aged children.Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 8, 165–181.
- Rickel, A. U., Eshelman, A. K., & Loigman, G. A. (1983). Social problem solving training: A follow-up study of cognitive and behavioral effects.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 11, 15–28.
- Rosenbaum, M. S., & Drabman, R. S. (1979). Self-control training in the classroom: A review and critique.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 12, 467–485.
- Rubin, K. H., Daniels-Beirness, T., & Bream, L. (1984). Social isolation and social problem solving: A longitudinal study.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 52, 17–25.
- Rubin, K. H., & Krasnor, L. R. (1985). Social-cognitive and social behavioral perspectives on problem solving. In M. Perlmutter (Ed.),The Minnesota symposia on child psychology (Vol. 18, pp. 1–68). Hillside, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Shure, M. B., & Spivack, G. (1982). Interpersonal problem-solving in young children: A cognitive approach to prevention.American Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 341–356.
- Spivack, G., & Shure, M. B. (1974).Social adjustment of young children: A cognitive approach to solving real-life problems. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Stokes, T. F., & Baer, D. M. (1977). An implicit technology of generalization.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 10, 349–367.
- Trickett, E. J., Kelly, J. G., & Vincent, T. A. (1985). The spirit of ecological inquiry in community research. In E. Susskind & D. C. Klein (Eds.),Community research: Methods, paradigms and applications (pp. 283–333). New York: Praeger.
- Walsh, R. T. (1987). The evolution of the research relationship in community psychology.American Journal of Community Psychology, 15, 773–788.
- Weissberg, R. P., & Gesten, E. L. (1982). Considerations for developing effective school-based social problem-solving (SPS) training programs.School Psychology Review, 11, 56–63.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Liebenstein, N. L., Doherty-Schmid, K., & Hutton, H. (1980).The Rochester social problem-solving (SPS) program: A training manual for teachers of 2nd–4th grade children. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Carnike, C. L., Toro, P. A., Rapkin, B. D., Davidson, E., & Cowen, E. L. (1981a). Social problem-solving skills training: A competence-building intervention with second to fourth grade children.American Journal of Community Psychology, 9, 411–423.
- Weissberg, R. P., Gesten, E. L., Rapkin, B. D., Cowen, E. L., Davidson, E., Flores de Apodaca, R., & McKim, B. J. (1981b). The evaluation of a social problem-solving training program for suburban and inner city third grade children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 49, 251–261.
- Wheeler, V. A., & Ladd, G. W. (1982). Assessment of children's self-efficacy for social interactions with peers.Developmental Psychology, 18, 795–805.
- Evaluation of a social problem-solving skills program for third- and fourth-grade students
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 79-99
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors