Training children in social problem-solving competencies: A first and second look
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors gratefully acknowledge grant support for the study from the New York State Education Department and the NIMH Experimental and Special Training Branch, MH 14547-03. We are indebted as well to a committed group of undergraduate assistants and cooperative elementary school staffs who worked so hard.
- Shure, M. B., Spivack, G. (1975) A comprehensive report of research and training, No. MH-20372. A mental health program for preschool and kindergarten children, and a mental health program for mothers of young children: An interpersonal problem-solving approach toward social adjustment. National Institute of Mental Health, Washington, D.C.
- Shure, M. B., Spivack, G. (1975) A mental health program for preschool (and kindergarten). National Institute of Mental Health, Washington, D.C.
- 3. Gesten, E. L., & Weissberg, R. P.Social problem solving training and prevention: Some good news and some bad news. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, ,New York City, 1979.
- 4. Krasnor, L. R., & Rubin, K. H.Preschoolers' verbal and behavioral solutions to social problems. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Ottawa, Ontario, 1978.
- 5. Sharp, K. C.Interpersonal problem-solving-capacity and behavioral adjustment in pre-school children. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Ontario, 1978.
- 6. Hopper, R. B., & Kirschenbaum, D. S.Social problem-solving skills and social competence in preadolescent children. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Pschological Association, New York City, 1979.
- Allen, G. J., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W., Lochman, J. E., Selinger, H. V. (1976) Community psychology and the schools: A behaviorally oriented multilevel preventive approach. Lawrence J. Erlbaum, Hilldale, N.J.
- Coopersmith, S. (1967) Antecedents of self-esteem. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco
- Cowen, E. L. (1978) Some problems in community program evaluation research. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 46: pp. 792-805
- Cowen, E. L., Gesten, E. L. Evaluating community programs: Tough and tender perspectives. In: Gibbs, M. S., Lachenmeyer, J. R., Sigal, J. eds. (1980) Community psychology: Theoretical and empirical approaches. Garner Press, New York
- Cowen, E. L., Lorion, R. P., Dorr, D. (1974) Research in the community cauldron: A case report. Canadian Psychologist 15: pp. 161-166
- Cowen, E. L., Pedersen, A., Babigian, H., Izzo, L. D., Trost, M. A. (1973) Long-term follow-up of early detected vulnerable children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 41: pp. 438-446
- Elardo, P. T., Caldwell, B. M. (1979) The effects of an experimental social development program on children in the middle childhood period. Psychology in the Schools 16: pp. 93-100
- Gesten, E. L. (1976) A Health Resources Inventory: The development of a measure of the personal and social competence of primary-grade children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical 44: pp. 775-786
- Gesten, E. L., Flores de Apodaca, R., Rains, M., Weissberg, R. P., Cowen, E. L. Promoting peer related social competence in schools. In: Kent, M. W., Rolf, J. E. eds. (1979) Primary prevention of psychopathology (Vol. 3)Social competence in children. University Press of New England, Hanover, N.H.
- Kohlberg, L., LaCrosse, J., Ricks, D. The predictability of adult mental health from childhood behavior. In: Wolman, B. eds. (1971) Handbook of child psychopathology. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Lorge, I, & Thorndike, R. L.Lorge-Thorndike intelligence tests: General manual. Houghton Mifflin, 1954.
- Lorion, R. P., Cowen, E. L., Caldwell, R. A. (1975) Normative and parametric analysis of school maladjustment. American Journal of Community Psychology 3: pp. 293-301
- McClure, L. D., Chinsky, J. M., Larcen, S. W. (1978) Enhancing social problem-solving performance in an elementary school setting. Journal of Educational Psychology 70: pp. 504-513
- Nowicki, S., Strickland, B. R. (1973) A locus of control scale for children. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 40: pp. 148-154
- Robins, L. N. Follow-up studies. In: Quay, H. S., Werry, J. S. eds. (1979) Psychopathological disorders of childhood. Wiley, New York
- Shure, M. B., Spivack, G. (1978) Problem-solving techniques in childrearing. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Spivack, G., Platt, J. J., Shure, M. B. (1976) The problem-solving approach to adjustment. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Spivack, G., Shure, M. B. (1974) Social adjustment of young children. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Sullivan, E. T., Clark, W. W., Tiegs, E. W. (1963) California Short-Form Test of Mental Maturity. McGraw-Hill, San Francisco
- Training children in social problem-solving competencies: A first and second look
American Journal of Community Psychology
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 95-115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, 33620, Tampa, Florida
- 2. Aroostook Mental Health Center, Caribou, Maine
- 3. University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
- 4. University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- 5. California State University at Long Beach, Long Beach, California
- 6. State University of New York at Brockport, Brockport, New York