Binge eating among the obese: A descriptive study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nineteen obese females applying for treatment for binge eating were administered a semistructured interview assessing the presence or absence of food restrictions, thoughts, feelings and physical sensations associated with binges, typical precipitants to binges, and factors identified as useful in avoiding binge eating. Both negative mood and abstinence violations emerged as important precipitants. The results also suggested that these precipitants constitute separate, independent pathways to binge eating. Implications of these findings with respect to restraint theory are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association (1980).Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 3rd ed., American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987).Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 3rd ed., rev., American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC.
- Cooper, J. L., Morrison, T. L., Bigman, O. L., Abramowitz, S. I., Levin, S., and Krener, P. (1988). Mood changes and affective disorder in the bulimic binge-purge cycle.Int. J. Eat. Disord. 7: 469–474.
- Garfinkel, P. E., and Kaplan, A. S. (1986). Anorexia nervosa: Diagnostic conceptualizations. In Brownell, K. D., and Foreyt, J. P. (eds.),Handbook of Eating Disorders, Basic Books, New York, pp. 266–282.
- Gormally, J., Rardin, D., and Black, S. (1980). Correlates of successful response to a behavioral weight control clinic.J. Counsel. Psychol. 27: 179–191.
- Gormally, J., Black, S., Daston, S., and Rardin, D. (1982). The assessment of binge eating severity among obese persons.Addict. Behav. 7: 47–55.
- Hawkins, R. C., II, and Clement, P. F. (1980). Development of a self-report measure of binge eating tendencies.Addict. Behav. 5: 219–226.
- Hawkins, R. C., II, and Clement, P. F. (1984). Binge eating: Measurement problems and a conceptual model. In Hawkins, R. C., II, Fremouw, W. J., and Clement, P. F. (eds.),The Binge-Purge Syndrome: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Research, Springer, New York, pp. 229–251.
- Herman, C. P., and Polivy, J. (1984). A boundary model for the regulation of eating. In Stunkard, A. B., and Stellar, E. (eds.),Eating and Its Disorders, Raven Press, New York, pp. 141–156.
- Johnson, C., and Larson, R. (1982). Bulimia: An analysis of moods and behavior.Psychosom. Med. 44: 341–351.
- Keefe, P. H., Wyshogrod, D., Weinberger, E., and Agras, W. S. (1984). Binge eating and outcome of behavioral treatment of obesity: A preliminary report.Behav. Res. Ther. 22: 319–322.
- Kolotkin, R. L., Revis, E. S., Kirkley, B. G., and Janick, L. (1987). Binge eating in obesity: Associated MMPI characteristics.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: 872–876.
- Lingswiler, V. M., Crowther, J. H., and Stephens, M. A. P. (1989). Affective and cognitive antecedents to eating episodes in bulimia and binge eating.Int. J. Eat. Disord. 8: 533–539.
- Loro, A. D., Jr., and Orleans, C. S. (1981). Binge eating in obesity: Preliminary findings and guidelines for behavioral analysis and treatment.Addict. Behav. 6: 155–166.
- Marcus, M. D., and Wing, R. R. (1987). Binge eating among the obese.Ann. Behav. Med. 9: 23–27.
- Marcus, M. D., Wing, R. R., and Lamparski, D. M. (1985). Binge eating and dietary restraint in obese patients.Addict. Behav. 10: 163–168.
- Marcus, M. D., Wing, R. R., and Hopkins, J. (1988). Obese binge eaters: Affect, cognitions and response to behavioral weight control.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 433–439.
- Polivy, J., and Herman, C. P. (1985). Dieting and bingeing: A causal analysis.Am. Psychol. 40: 193–201.
- Rossiter, E. M., and Agras, W. S. (1990). An empirical test of the DSM-III-R definition of binge.Int. J. Eat. Disord. 9: 513–518.
- Ruderman, A. J. (1986). Dietary restraint: A theoretical and empirical review.Psychol. Bull. 99: 247–262.
- Stunkard, A. J. (1959). Eating patterns and obesity.Psychiat. Q. 33: 284–292.
- Telch, C. F., Agras, W. S., and Rossiter, E. M. (1988). Binge eating increases with increasing adiposity.Int. J. Eat. Disord. 7: 115–119.
- Telch, C. F., Agras, W. S., Rossiter, E. M., Wilfley, D., and Kenardy, J. (1990). Group cognitive-behavioral treatment for the non-purging bulimic: An initial evaluation.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 58: 629–635.
- Wardle, J., and Beinart, H. (1981). Binge eating: A theoretical review.Br. J. Clin. Pyschol. 20: 97–109.
- Binge eating among the obese: A descriptive study
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 155-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links