Problem solving and diabetes self-care
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An important objective of diabetes care is to provide patients with self-regulation skills. For patients to assume responsibility for their own regimens, they need to have good problem-solving skills to cope with ongoing personal, social, and environmental barriers to adherence. Therefore, a Diabetes Problem Solving Interview for adults was developed and evaluated with 126 non-insulin-dependent outpatients. Interviewers elicited problem-solving strategies patients would use to cope with a variety of situations potentially interfering with dietary, exercise, and glucose testing adherence. Interviews were tape recorded and coded by trained raters to produce scores on both overall problem-solving skill ratings and frequency of use of different types of strategies. Results revealed only minor influences of patient characteristics on problem-solving measures. Prospective analyses revealed that problem-solving measures were significant and independent predictors of levels of dietary and exercise self-care at a 6-month follow-up.
- Anderson, L. A. (1990) Health-care communication and selected psychosocial correlates of adherence in diabetes managment. Diabetes Care 13: pp. 66-76
- Ary, D. V., Toobert, D., Wilson, W., Glasgow, R. E. (1986) A patient perspective on factors contributing to nonadherence to diabetes regimens. Diabetes Care 9: pp. 168-172
- Chancy, E. F., O'Leary, M. R., Marlatt, G. A. (1978) Skill training with alcoholics. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 46: pp. 1092-1104
- Cox, D. J., Gonder-Frederick, L., Pohl, S., Pennebaker, J. W. Diabetes. In: Holroyd, K. A., Creer, T. L. eds. (1986) Self-Management of Chronic Disease. Academic Press, New York
- D'Zurilla, T. (1986) Problem Solving Therapy. Springer, New York
- D'Zurilla, T., Goldfried, M. (1971) Problem-solving and behavior modification. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 78: pp. 104-126
- Follansbee, D. J., Greca, A. M., Citrin, W. S. (1983) Coping skills training for adolescents with diabetes. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Diabetes Association, San Antonio, Texas. Diabetes 32: pp. 147
- Foxx, R. M., Martella, R. C., Marchand-Martella, N. E. (1989) The acquisition, maintenance, and generalization of problem-solving skills by closed head-injured adults. Behav. Ther. 20: pp. 61-76
- Gilchrist, L. D., Schinke, S. P., Bobo, J. K., Snow, W. H. (1986) Self-control skills for preventing smoking. Addict. Behav. 11: pp. 169-174
- Glasgow, R. E. Compliance to diabetes regimens: Conceptualization, complexity, and determinants. In: Cramer, J. A., Spilker, B. eds. (1990) Patient Compliance in Medical Practice and Clinical Trials. Raven Press, New York
- Glasgow, R. E., Klesges, R. C., Mizes, J. S., Pechacek, T. F. (1985) Quitting smoking strategies used and variables associated with success in a stop-smoking contest. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: pp. 905-912
- Glasgow, R. E., Wilson, W. W., McCaul, K. D. (1985) Regimen adherence: A problematic construct in diabetes research. Diabetes Care 8: pp. 300-301
- Glasgow, R. E., McCaul, K. D., Schafer, L. D. (1986) Barriers to regimen adherence among persons with insulin-dependent diabetes. J. Behav. Med. 9: pp. 65-77
- Glasgow, R. E., McCaul, K. D., Schafer, L. D. (1987) Self-care behaviors and glycemic control of Type I diabetes. J. Chron. Dis. 40: pp. 399-412
- Glasgow, R. E., Toobert, D. J., Riddle, M., Donnelly, J., Mitchell, D. L., Calder, D. (1989) Diabetes-specific social learning variables and self-care behaviors among persons with Type II Diabetes. Health Psychol. 8: pp. 285-303
- Goldfried, M. R., D'Zurilla, T. J. A behavioral-analytic model for assessing competence. In: Spielberger, C. D. eds. (1969) Current Topics in Clinical and Community Psychology, Vol. 1. Academic Press, New York
- Heppner, P. P., Neal, G. W., Larson, L. M. (1984) Problem solving training as prevention with college students. Personnel Guid. J. 62: pp. 514-519
- Hollingshead, A. B. (1975) Four factor index of social status. Yale University, New Haven, Conn.
- Irvine, A. A., Bobbitt, S. A., and Carter, W. R. (1990). Adherence to the diabetic regimen: The role of environmental barriers (submitted for publication).
- Johnson, S. B., Pollak, T., Silverstein, J. H., Rosenbloom, A. L., Spillar, R., McCallum, M., Harkavy, J. (1982) Cognitive and behavioral knowledge about insulin-dependent diabetes among children and parents. Pediatrics 69: pp. 708-713
- Johnson, S. B., Silverstein, J., Rosenbloom, A., Carter, R., Cunningham, W. (1986) Assessing daily management in childhood diabetes. Health Psychol. 5: pp. 545-564
- Kovacs, M., Feinberg, T. Coping with juvenile onset diabetes mellitus. In: Baum, A., Singer, J. eds. (1982) Handbook of Psychology and Health, Vol. 2. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, N.J.
- McCaul, K. D., Glasgow, R. E., Schafer, L. D. (1987) Diabetes regimen behaviors: Predicting adherence. Med. Care 25: pp. 868-881
- Meichenbaum, D., Turk, D. C. Teaching self-regulatory skills. In: Meichenbaum, D., Turk, D. C. eds. (1987) Facilitating Treatment Adherence: A Practitioner's Guidebook. Plenum Press, New York
- Nezu, A. M. (1986) Cognitive appraisal of problem solving effectiveness: Relation to depression and depressive symptoms. J. Clin. Psychol. 42: pp. 42-48
- Nezu, A. M. (1986) Efficacy of social problem-solving therapy approach for unipolar depression. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 54: pp. 196-202
- Nezu, A. M., Nezu, C. M., Saraydarian, L., Kalmar, K., Ronan, G. F. (1986) Social problem solving as a moderating variable between negative life stress and depressive symptoms. Cognit. Ther. Res. 10: pp. 489-498
- Orme, C. M., Binik, Y. M. (1989) Consistency of adherence across regimen demands. Health Psychol. 8: pp. 27-43
- Platt, J. J., Spivack, G. (1975) Manual for the Means-End Problem-Solving Procedure (MEPS): A Measure of Interpersonal Cognitive Problem Solving Skill. Hahnemann Community Mental Health/Mental Retardation Center, Department of Mental Health Sciences, Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital, Philadelphia, Penn.
- Turk, D. C., Holzman, A. D., Kerns, R. D. Chronic pain. In: Holroyd, K. A., Creer, T. L. eds. (1986) Self-Management of Chronic Disease: Handbook of Clinical Interventions and Research. Academic Press, Orlando, Fla.
- Wilson, W., Ary, D., Biglan, A., Glasgow, R. E., Toobert, D. J., Campbell, D. (1986) Psychosocial predictors of self-care behaviors (compliance) and glycemic control in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 9: pp. 614-622
- Wysocki, T., Green, L., Huxtable, K. (1989) Blood glucose monitoring by diabetic adolescents: Compliance and metabolic control. Health Psychol. 8: pp. 267-284
- Problem solving and diabetes self-care
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 71-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- problem solving