Psychological functioning across stages of treatment for infertility
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Psychological functioning was examined for a cross section of 104 couples in different stages of medical investigation for infertility. Couples were separated into three stages based upon the length of time they had been pursuing medical treatment for infertility: year 1, year 2, and year 3 and beyond. Emotional strain was moderately elevated during the first year, returned to more normal levels during the second year, and showed marked increases beyond year 3. Indices of marital adjustment and sexual satisfaction were stable across the first two stages but deteriorated after the third year. These data suggest that the stage of treatment may exert a major influence upon psychological functioning for infertile couples pursuing medical assistance. The results are consistent with a model of psychological strain that reflects an acute stress reaction to the initial diagnosis and treatment overlaid with a chronic strain response to longer-term treatment.
- Baram, D., Tourtelot, E., Muechler, E., Huang, K.-E. (1988) Psychosocial adjustment following unsuccessful in vitro fertilization. J. Psychosom. Obstet. Gynecol. 9: pp. 181-190
- Berg, B. J., Wilson, J. F. (1990) Psychiatric morbidity in the infertility population: A reconceptualization. Fertil. Steril. 53: pp. 654-661
- Berger, D. M. (1980) Couples' reactions to male infertility and donor insemination. Am. J. Psychiat. 137: pp. 1047-1049
- Bernstein, J., and Zaratskie, R. N. (1989). A certification review course for nurses: Reproductive endocrinology/infertility.Serono Symp, 127–132.
- Callan, V. J. (1987) The personal and marital adjustment of mothers and of voluntarily and involuntarily childless wives. J. Marr. Fam. 49: pp. 847-858
- Camilleri, A. P. (1980) A realistic approach to infertility. Practitioner 224: pp. 835-837
- Daniluk, J. C. (1988) Infertility: Intrapersonal and interpersonal impact. Fertil. Steril. 49: pp. 982-990
- Derogatis, L. R. (1983) SCL-90-R Administration, Scoring & Procedures Manual-II for the R(evised) Version and Other Instruments of the Psychopathology Rating Scale Series. Clinical Psychometric Research, Towson, Md.
- Derogatis, L. R., Morrow, G. R., Petting, J., Penman, D., Piasetsky, S., Schmale, A. M., Henrichs, M., Carnicke, L. M. (1983) The prevalence of psychiatric disorders among cancer patients. JAMA 249: pp. 751-757
- Downey, J., Yingling, S., McKinney, M., Husami, N., Jewelewicz, R., Maidman, J. (1989) Mood disorders, psychiatric symptoms, and distress in women presenting for infertility evaluation. Fertil. Steril. 52: pp. 425-432
- Edelmann, R. J., Connolly, K. J. (1986) Psychological aspects of infertility. Br. J. Med. Psychol. 59: pp. 209-219
- Freeman, E. W., Garcia, C. R., Rickels, K. (1983) Behavioral and emotional factors: Comparisons of anovulatory infertile women with fertile and other infertile women. Fertil. Steril. 40: pp. 195-201
- Freeman, E. W., Boxer, A. S., Rickels, K., Tureck, R., Mastroianni, L. (1985) Psychological evaluation and support in a program of in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Fertil. Steril. 43: pp. 48-53
- Freeman, E. W., Rickels, K., Tausig, J., Boxer, A., Mastroianni, L., Tureck, R. W. (1987) Emotional and psychosocial factors in follow-up of women after IVF-ET treatment. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 66: pp. 517-521
- Garcia, C., Freeman, E. W., Rickels, K., Wu, C., Scholl, G., Galle, P. C., Boxer, A. S. (1985) Behavioral and emotional factors and treatment responses in a study of ovulatory inferile women. Fertil. Steril. 44: pp. 478-483
- Haseltine, F. P., Mazure, C., L'Aune, W., Greenfeld, D., Laufer, N., Tarlatzis, B., Polan, M. L., Jones, E. E., Graebe, R., Nero, F., D'Lugi, A., Fazio, D., Masters, J., DeCherney, A. H. (1985) Psychological interviews in screening couples undergoing in vitro fertilization. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 422: pp. 504-521
- Lalos, A., Lalos, O., Jacobsson, L., Schoultz, B. (1985) The psychosocial impact of infertility two years after completed surgical treatment. Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 64: pp. 599-604
- Lalos, A., Lalos, O., Jacobsson, L., Schoultz, B. (1985) Psychological reactions to the medical investigation and surgical treatment of infertility. Gynecol. Obstet. Invest. 20: pp. 209-217
- Leiblum, S. R., Kemmann, E., Colburn, D., Pasquale, S., DeLisi, A. (1987) Unsuccessful in vitro fertilization: A follow-up study. J. Vitro Fert. Embryo Transfer 4: pp. 46-50
- Leiblum, S. R., Kemmann, E., Lane, M. K. (1987) The psychological concomitants of in vitro fertilization. J. Psychosom. Obstet. Gynecol. 6: pp. 165-178
- Locke, H. J. (1951) Predicting Adjustment in Marriage: A Comparison of a Divorced and Happily Married Group. Henry Holt, New York
- Locke, H. J., Wallace, K. M. (1959) Short marital-adjustment and prediction tests: Their reliability and validity. Man. Fam. Liv. 21: pp. 251-255
- Mahlstedt, P. P., Mac Duff, S., Bernstein, J. (1987) Emotional factors and the in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer process. J. Vitro Fert. Embryo Transfer 4: pp. 232-236
- Mai, F. M. M., Rump, E. E. (1972) Are infertile men and women neurotic?. Austr. J. Psychol. 24: pp. 83-86
- Mai, F. M. M., Munday, R. N., Rump, E. E. (1972) Psychiatric interview comparisons between infertile and fertile couples. Psychosom. Med. 34: pp. 431-440
- Mao, K., Wood, C. (1984) Barriers to treatment of infertility by in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Med. J. Austr. 140: pp. 532-533
- McEwan, K. L., Costello, C. G., Taylor, P. J. (1987) Adjustment to infertility. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 96: pp. 108-116
- Morse, C., Dennerstein, L. (1985) Infertile couples entering an in vitro fertilization programme: A preliminary survey. J. Psychosom. Obstet. Gynecol. 4: pp. 207-219
- Reproductive Impairments Among Married Couples: United States. Vital and Health Statistics, Public Health Service, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Infertility: Medical and Social Choices. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- O'Moore, A. M., O'Moore, R. R., Harrison, R. F., Murphy, G., Garruthers, M. E. (1983) Psychosomatic aspects in idiopathic infertility: Effects of treament with autogenic training. J. Psychosom. Res. 27: pp. 145-151
- Shapiro, C. H. (1988) Infertility and Pregnancy Loss: A Guide for Helping Professionals. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Shaw, P., Johnston, M., Shaw, R. (1988) Counselling needs, emotional and relationship problems in couples awaiting IVF. J. Psychosom. Obstet. Gynecol. 9: pp. 171-180
- Slade, P. (1981) Menstrual cycle symptoms in infertile and control subjects: A re-evaluation of the evidence for psychological changes. J. Psychosom. Res. 25: pp. 175-181
- Takefman, J. E., Brender, W., Boivin, J., Tulandi, T. (1990) Sexual and emotional adjustment of couples undergoing infertility investigation and the effectiveness of preparatory information. J. Psychosom. Obstet. Gynecol. 11: pp. 275-290
- Weltzien, J. (1983/1984) A Study of Psychological Factors Associated with Infertility: Depression, Locus of Control, Quality of Marital Interaction. University of Houston, Houston, Tex.
- Psychological functioning across stages of treatment for infertility
Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 11-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- treatment stage