Ultrasonic velocities and thermal expansion coefficients of amorphous Se80Te20 and Se90Te10 alloys near glass transitions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Precise measurements of the ultrasonic velocities and thermal expansivities of amorphous Se80Te20 and Se90Te10 alloys are reported near the glass transition. The samples are produced by liquid quenching. The longitudinal and transverse velocities are measured at 10 MHz frequency using the McSkimin pulse superposition technique. The thermal expansivities,α, are measured using a three-terminal capacitance bridge. Theα-values show a sharp maximum near the glass transition temperature,T g. The ultrasonic velocities also show a large temperature derivative, dV/dT nearT g. The data are discussed in terms of existing theories of the glass transition. The continuous change inα shows that the glass transition is not a first-order transition, as suggested by some theories. The samples are found to be deformed by small loads nearT g. The ultrasonic velocities and dV/dT have contributions arising from this deformation.
- H. S. Chen,Rep. Prog. Phys. 43 (1980) 353.
- M. Cohen andD. Turnbull,J. Chem. Phys. 31 (1959) 1164.
- M. Cohen andG. S. Grest,Phys. Rev. B 20 (1979) 1077.
- J. H. Gibbs andE. A. DeMarzio,J. Chem. Phys. 28 (1958) 373.
- D. Turnbull andG. N. Bagley, in “Treatise on Solid State Chemistry” Vol. 5, edited by N. B. Hannay (Plenum Press, New York, 1975) p. 513.
- C. A. Angell, L. O. Pollard andW. Strauss,J. Chem. Phys. 50 (1969) 2964.
- C. A. Angell andD. Sichina,Ann. Rev. New York Acad. Sci. 279 (1976) 53.
- A. H. Abou El Ela, M. K. Elmously andK. S. Abdu,J. Mater. Sci. 15 (1980) 871.
- K. R. Srinivasan, R. Krishnan, A. Sivaraman, N. Nagarajan, J. Ramakrishnan andE. S. R. Gopal, Proceedings of the Sumposium on Transducer Technology, Cochin, India, September 1975, (Department of Atomic Energy, India) p. 283.
- H. J. McSkimin,J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 33 (1961) 12.
- H. J. McSkimin andP. Andreatch,ibid. 41 (1967) 1052.
- P. P. Krishnapur, M. V. Lele andS. V. Subramanyam,Ind. J. Cryog. to be published.
- P. P. Krishnapur, PhD Thesis, Indian Institute of Science (1981).
- M. Lasocka,J. Mater. Sci. 15 (1980) 1283.
- L. Landau andI. M. Lifshitz, “Theory of Elasticity” (Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York, 1959) p. 130.
- E. Kittinger,Z. Naturforsch A 32A (1977) 946.
- B. C. Giesen andC. N. J. Wagner, “Physics and Chemistry of Liquid Metals” edited by S. Z. Beer (Marcel Dekker, New York, 1972) p. 633.
- J. E. Shelby,J. Non Cryst. Sol. 34 (1979) 111.
- E. Kittinger,Phys. Stat. Sol. (a)44 (1977) K35.
- S. Glasstone, “Text book of Physical Chemistry” (D. Van Nostrand, London, 1940) p. 496.
- Ultrasonic velocities and thermal expansion coefficients of amorphous Se80Te20 and Se90Te10 alloys near glass transitions
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 183-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, 560 012, Bangalore, India
- 2. Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, 560 012, Bangalore, India