The subsurface transport of heat and moisture and its effect on the environment: A numerical model
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A numerical model was developed to study the transport of heat and vapor under the surface of bare soil and soil covered by some materials such as asphalt and concrete under no rainfall conditions. The computational results provide a good match with the experimental data. The results show that the transport of water vapor inside the soil has an important effect on the subsurface distribution of temperature, especially for bare soil. Because of evaporation, the temperature of bare soil is much lower than that under covered surfaces throughout the day and the temperature of the surface covered by asphalt is extremely high-higher than the atmospheric temperature even at night. An increase of thickness of the covering material further increases the temperature and heat stored under surfaces. The stored heat is released to the atmosphere at night, contributing to environmental effects such as the urban heat island.
- Asaeda, T., Vu, T. C., Kitahara, M. (1991) Pavement Effect on the Atmospheric Thermal Environment. Env. Sys. Res. 19: pp. 89-93
- Asaeda, T., Wake, A. and Vu, T. C.: 1992, ‘The Heating of the Paved Ground and Its Effects to the Surface Atmosphere’. (in preparation).
- Brutsaert, W.: 1984,Evaporation into the Atmosphere, Theory, History and Applications, D. Reidel Pub. Co., 299 pp.
- Buchan, G. D. (1982) Predicting Bare Soil Temperature. I. Theory and Models for the Multi-day Mean Diurnal Variation. J. Soil. Sci. 33: pp. 185-197
- Camuffo, D., Bernadi, A. (1982) An Observation Study of Heat Fluxes and Their Relationships with Net Radiation. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 23: pp. 359-368
- Conte, S. D. and Boor, C. D.: 1981,Elementary Numerical Analysis. An Algorithmic Approach, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Book Co., 432 pp.
- Hoffert, M. I., Storch, J. (1979) Scheme for Computing Surface Fluxes from Mean Flow Observations. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 17: pp. 429-442
- Doll, D., Ching, J. K. S., Kaneshiro, J. (1985) Parameterization of Subsurface Heating for Soil and Concrete Using Net Radiation Data. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 32: pp. 351-372
- Groenevelt, P. H., Kay, B. D. (1974) On the Interaction of Water and Heat in Frozen and Unfrozen Soils, 2, The Liquid Phase. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 38: pp. 400-404
- Idso, S. B. (1980) On the Apparent Incompatibility of Different Atmospheric Thermal Radiation Data Sets. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 106: pp. 375-376
- Kaufmann, M. R. and Weatherred, J. D.: 1982, ‘Determination of Potential Direct Beam Solar Irradiance’, U.S. Dept. of Agr. For. Serv., Fort Collins Co., Res. Pap. RM-242.
- Kay, B. D., Groenevelt, P. H. (1974) On the Interaction of Water and Heat in Frozen and Unfrozen Soils, 1, Basic Theory; The Vapor Phase. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 38: pp. 395-400
- Louis, J. F. (1979) A Parametric Model of Vertical Eddy Fluxes in the Atmosphere. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 17: pp. 187-202
- McQween, I. S., Miller, R. F. (1974) Approximating Soil Moisture Characteristics from Limited Data: Empirical Evidence and Tentative Model. Water Resour. Res. 3: pp. 521-527
- Milly, P. C. D. (1982) Moisture and Heat Transport in Hysteretic, Inhomogeneous Porous Media: a Matric Head-based Formulation and a Numerical Model. Water Resour. Res. 18: pp. 489-498
- Milly, P. C. D. (1984) A Simulation Analysis of Thermal Effects on Evaporation from Soil. Water Resour. Res. 20: pp. 489-498
- Mualem, Y. (1974) A Conceptual Model of Hysteresis. Water Resour. Res. 3: pp. 514-520
- Mualem, Y. (1976) Hysteretical Models for Prediction of the Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Porous Media. Water Resour. Res. 12: pp. 1248-1254
- Mualem, Y. (1976) A New Model for Predicting the Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Porous Media. Water Resour. Res. 3: pp. 513-522
- Oke, T. R., Cleugh, H. A. (1987) Urban Heat Storage Derived as Energy Balance Residuals. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 39: pp. 233-245
- Philip, J. R., Vries, D. A. (1957) Moisture Movement in Porous Materials under Temperature Gradients. Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union 2: pp. 222-232
- Sievers, U., Dzunkowski, W. (1985) A Numerical Simulation Scheme for the Albedo of City Street Canyons. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 33: pp. 245-257
- Sophocleous, M. (1979) Analysis of Water and Heat Flow in Unsaturated-Saturated Porous Media. Water Resour. Res. 5: pp. 1195-1206
- Tsukamoto, O., Ohtaki, E., Iwatani, Y., Mitsuta, Y. (1991) Stability Dependence of the Drag and Bulk Transfer Coefficients over a Coastal Sea Surface. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 57: pp. 359-375
- Vries, D. A. (1958) Simultaneous Transfer of Heat and Moisture in Porous Media. Trans. Amer. Geophys. Union 5: pp. 909-916
- Vries, D. A. Thermal Properties of Soils. In: Wijk, W. R. eds. (1966) Physics of Plant Environment. North Holland, Amsterdam
- The subsurface transport of heat and moisture and its effect on the environment: A numerical model
Volume 65, Issue 1-2 , pp 159-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors