Influence of heat treatment on the strength and fracture behaviour of Fe-12Cr-6Al ferritic stainless steel
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The changes in the tensile properties and fracture mode brought about by heat treatment of Fe-12Cr-6Al ferritic stainless steel have been studied. A favourable combination of high strength and good ductility is obtained by heating the material at 1370 K for 2 h followed by a water quench. The high-temperature treatment results in carbide dissolution as well as an increase in the grain size. The mechanism of strengthening has been evaluated from the apparent activation energy (28 kJ mol−1) and is identified to be the unpinning of dislocations from the atmosphere of carbon atoms. As the heat-treatment temperature is increased, the fracture behaviour changes from ductile to brittle mode and this is related to the changes in grain size and friction stress.
- A. Roy, F. A. Hagen andJ. M. Corwin, SAE Paper 740093 (1974).
- P. M. Giles, H. Abrams andA. R. Marder, US Pat. 3 873 306 (1975).
- Kvernes, I., Ouveira, M., Kofstad, P. (1977) Corrosion Sci. 17: pp. 237
- Golightly, F. A., Stott, F. H., Wood, G. C. (1976) Oxid. Met. 10: pp. 163
- S. Kunio,Japan Kokai, 76 38 217 (Cl.C22c 38/18) (1976).
- Choubey, R., Das, B. N., Nijhawan, B. R. (1966) Proceedings of Symposium on Metallurgical Substitutes for Ferrous and Non-ferrous Alloys. National Metallurgical Laboratory, Jamshedpur, India
- Roy, A., Corwin, J. M. (1969) Met. Prog. 95: pp. 70
- Thielsch, H. (1959) Welding J. 34: pp. 225
- Pruger, T. A. (1951) Steel Horizon 13: pp. 10
- Demo, J. J. (1971) Corrosion 27: pp. 531
- Fisher, G. J., Maciag, R. J. (1977) Handbook of Stainless Steels. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Fromson, I. A. (1974) Met. Trans. 5: pp. 2257
- Sastry, S. D., Rohatgi, P. K., Abraham, K. P., Prasad, Y. V. R. K. (1980) Met. Tech. 7: pp. 393
- Friedel, J. (1964) Dislocations. Pergamon Press, London
- McMullen, J. G., Reiter, S. F., Ebeling, D. G. (1954) Trans. ASM 46: pp. 799
- “Metals Hand Book”, 8th edn, Vol. 8 (ASM, Metals Park, Ohio, 1973) p. 260.
- Armstrong, R. W., Codd, I., Douthwaite, R. M., Fetch, N. J. (1962) Phil. Mag. 7: pp. 45
- Cottrell, A. H. (1953) Dislocations and Plastic Flow in Crystals. Oxford University Press, New York, London
- Hitoshi, I., Yoshinori, F. (1915) Nippon Kinzoku Gakkaishi 39: pp. 311
- Wohlbier, F. H. eds. (1977) “Diffusion and Defect Data Book”, Vol. 14. Trans Tech Publications, Rockport, Massachussets
- Sastry, S. D., Rohatgi, P. K., Abraham, K. P., Prasad, Y. V. R. K. (1979) Scripta Metal. 13: pp. 819
- Low, J. R. (1954) Relation of Properties to Microstructure. ASM, Metals Park, Ohio
- Armstrong, R. W. (1970) Met. Trans. 1: pp. 1169
- Influence of heat treatment on the strength and fracture behaviour of Fe-12Cr-6Al ferritic stainless steel
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 17, Issue 10 , pp 3009-3016
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors