Interactions of scope and ellipsis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Systematic semantic ambiguities result from the interaction of the two operations that are involved in resolving ellipsis in the presence of scoping elements such as quantifiers and intensional operators: scope determination for the scoping elements and resolution of the elided relation. A variety of problematic examples previously noted - by Sag, Hirschbüihler, Gawron and Peters, Harper, and others - all have to do with such interactions. In previous work, we showed how ellipsis resolution can be stated and solved in equational terms. Furthermore, this equational analysis of ellipsis provides a uniform framework in which interactions between ellipsis resolution and scope determination can be captured. As a consequence, an account of the problematic examples follows directly from the equational method. The goal of this paper is merely to point out this pleasant aspect of the equational analysis, through its application to these cases. No new analytical methods or associated formalism are presented, with the exception of a straightforward extension of the equational method to intensional logic.
- Barwise, J., Cooper, R. (1981) Generalized Quantifiers and Natural Language. Linguistics and Philosophy 4: pp. 159-219
- Cooper, R. (1983) Quantification and Syntactic Theory, Vol. 21 ofSynthese Language Library. D. Reidel, Dordrecht, Netherlands
- Dalrymple, M., Lamping, J., Pereira, F., Saraswat, V. A Deductive Account of Quantification in LFG. In: Kanazawa, M., Piñón, C., Swart, Henrietta eds. (1993) Quantifiers, Deduction, and Context. Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, California
- Dalrymple, M., Skieber, S. M., Pereira, F. C. N. (1991) Ellipsis and Higher-order Unification. Linguistics and Philosophy 14: pp. 399-452
- Fiengo, R., May, R. (1994) Indices and Identity, Vol. 24 ofLinguistic Inquiry Monographs. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Gallin, D.: 1975,Intensional and Higher-Order Modal Logic, Vol. 19 ofNorth-Holland Mathematics Studies, North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Gamut, L. T. F. (1991) Logic, Language, and Meaning, Vol. 2. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois
- Gawron, M., Peters, S. (1990) Anaphora and Quantification in Situation Theory. Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, California
- Harper, M. (1988) Representing Pronouns in Logical Form: Computational Constraints and Linguistic Evidence. Proceedings of the Seventh. National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Saint Paul, Minnesota, pp. 712-717
- Hestvik, A. (1992) Subordination and Strict Identity of Reflexives. Proceedings of the Stuttgart Ellipsis Workshop. University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
- Hirshbühler, P. “VP Deletion and Across-the-Board Quantifier Scope. In: Pustejovsky, J., Sells, P. eds. (1982) Proceedings of NELS 12, GLSA. University of Massachussetts-Amherst, Massachusetts
- Huet, G. (1975) A Unification Algorithm for Typed A-Calculus. Theoretical Computer Science 1: pp. 27-57
- Janssen, T. M. V. (1986) Foundations and Applications of Montague Grammar – Part 2: Applications to Natural Language, Vol. 28 ofCWI Tract. Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Kehler, A.: 1993, ‘The Effect of Establishing Coherence in Ellipsis and Anaphora Resolution’, inProceedings of the 31st Conference of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL-93), Columbus, Ohio, June.
- Kempson, R. M. and A. Cormack: 1983, ‘Type Lifting Rules and VP Anaphora’, in M. T. Barlow, D. P. Flickinger, and T. Wescoat (eds),Proceedings of West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics 2, pp. 140–152.
- Montague, R. The Proper Treatment of Quantification in Ordinary English. In: Himikka, J., Moravcsik, J., Suppes, P. eds. (1973) Approaches to Natural Language. Reidel, Dordrecht
- Muskens, R. (1989) Meaning and Partiality, Ph.D. thesis. University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Nealea, S. (1990) Descriptions. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Pereira, F. C. N. (1990) Categorial Semantics and Scoping. Computational Linguistics 16: pp. 1-10
- Sag, I. A. (1976) Deletion and Logical Form. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Williams, Edwin (1977) Discourse and Logical Form. Linguistic Inquiry 8: pp. 101-139
- Interactions of scope and ellipsis
Linguistics and Philosophy
Volume 19, Issue 5 , pp 527-552
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links