Impedance parameters and the state-of charge. I. Nickel-cadmium battery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of nondestructive determination of the state-of-charge of nickel-cadmium batteries has been examined experimentally as well as theoretically from the viewpoint of internal impedance. It is shown that the modulus of the impedance is mainly controlled by diffusion at all states of charge. Even so, a prediction of the state of charge is possible if the equivalent series/parallel capacitance or the alternating current phase shift is measured at a sufficiently low a.c. test frequency (5–30 Hz) which also avoids inductive effects. These results are explained on the basis of a uniform transmission-line analog equivalent circuit for the battery electrodes.
- S. Lerner, H. Lennon and H. Seiger, ‘Power Sources’, Vol. 3, (ed. D. H. Collins) Pergamon Press (1971) p. 135.
- H. Lurie, H. N. Seiger and R. C. Shair,Proceedings of 17th Annual Power Source Conference (1963) p. 110.
- Sieh, R. H. W. (1964) Electrochim. Acta. 13: pp. 2139
- Winter, J. J., Breslin, J., Ross, R. L., Leupold, H. A. (1975) J. Electrochem. Soc. 122: pp. 1434
- D. C. Jones, NTIS, US Department of Commerce Report No. AFAPL-TR-75-83 (1975).
- ‘Eveready Battery Applications and Engineering Data”, Copyright, Union Carbide Corp., New York (1971).
- Hammer, W. J. In: Cahoon, N. C., Heise, G. W. eds. (1976) ‘Primary Battery’, Vol. 2. The Electrochemical Society, USApp. 429
- R. B. Naugle and A. W. Speyers,Proceedings of 13th Annual Power Source Conference (1959) p. 97.
- E. Dowgiallo and F. Belvoir,Proceedings of the Annual Battery Workshop, Goddard Space Flight Centre (1974) p. 32.
- A. Fleischer, ‘Power Sources’ Vol. 3 (ed. D. H. Collins) Pergamon Press (1971).
- Latner, N. (1969) Rev. Sci. Inst. 40: pp. 364
- Secunde, R. R., Birchenough, A. G. (1970) Chem. Abstr. 73: pp. 83 023r
- Euler, K. J. (1972) Electrochim. Acta 17: pp. 619
- Sathyanarayana, S., Venugopalan, S., Gopikanth, M. L. (1978) J. Appl. Electrochem. 8: pp. 479
- M. Sluyters-Rehbach and J. H. Sluyters, ‘Electroanalytical Chemistry’, Vol. 8 (ed. A. J. Bard) Marcel Dekker Inc, (1971) p. 157.
- Rangarajan, S. K. (1969) J. Electroanalyt. Chem. 22: pp. 89
- R. de Levie, ‘Advances in Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering’ Vol. 6 (eds. P. Delahay and C. W. Tobias), Interscience (1967) p. 329.
- Impedance parameters and the state-of charge. I. Nickel-cadmium battery
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 125-139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors