Peripheral vascular effects of bufuralol in hypertensive and normal subjects: A comparison with propranolol and pindolol
- G. D. JohnstonAffiliated withDepartment of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, The Queen's University of Belfastthe Belfast City Hospital
- , M. B. FinchAffiliated withDepartment of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, The Queen's University of Belfastthe Belfast City Hospital
- , R. G. ShanksAffiliated withDepartment of Therapeutics and Pharmacology, The Queen's University of Belfastthe Belfast City Hospital
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In a double-blind, single oral dose, crossover study, the effects of bufuralol (60 mg) on heart rate, blood pressure, and peripheral vascular responses were compared with those of propranolol (160 mg), pindolol (10 mg), and placebo in a group of 12 healthy volunteers.
All three beta-adrenoceptor antagonists reduced exercise tachycardia, but at the doses chosen the effects of bufuralol were less than those of propranolol.
Forearm blood flow was reduced by propranolol and pindolol, but not by bufuralol.
The antihypertensive and peripheral vascular effects of bufuralol (30–60 mg bd) were also compared with those of propranolol (40–80 mg bd) in a double-blind crossover study in 10 patients with mild hypertension.
Propranolol and bufuralol produced comparable reductions in systemic blood pressure over a two-week period, but the decreases in forearm and finger blood flow were greater with propranolol.
These studies suggest that bufuralol is a beta-adrenoceptor antagonist with antihypertensive properties, and that it produces less peripheral vasoconstriction than propranolol or pindolol.
Key wordsbufuralol propranolol pindolol peripheral blood flow systemic blood pressure beta-adrenoceptor antagonist hypertension adverse effects
- Peripheral vascular effects of bufuralol in hypertensive and normal subjects: A comparison with propranolol and pindolol
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
Volume 30, Issue 6 , pp 649-652
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- peripheral blood flow
- systemic blood pressure
- beta-adrenoceptor antagonist
- adverse effects
- Industry Sectors