An investigation of ion implantation-induced near-surface stresses and their effects in sapphire and glass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Using both cantilever bending and indentation fracture techniques, the generation of near-surface compressive stresses by ion-implantation into sapphire and glass has been monitored and characterized. In all cases, the surface stresses initially increase with ion dose until a critical dose (dependent on material and ion species/ energy) is reached. Beyond this dose, stress relief has been observed and, for sapphire implanted with both Y+ and Ti+, this has been attributed to the formation and growth of an amorphous layer as monitored by hardness testing. The stress relief has been simply modelled and values estimated for the mechanical strength of the amorphous layer produced. For sapphire, the integrated stress produced over the near-surface volume was found to increase linearly with dose; values of the integrated stress produced by the two different species were similar when considered in terms of energy deposition. Estimates of the contribution to the integrated stress of both the implantation-induced damage and the implanted species profile suggest that the implanted profile makes a minor but significant (20%) contribution. Broadly similar behaviour was observed for soda-lime-silica glass specimens implanted with both C+ and N+. While the origins of the compressive stress produced are probably similar to those in crystalline materials (i.e. defect production and ion-stuffing), no microstructural explanations for both the observed hardening with increasing dose and stress relief have been forthcoming. However, high-dose implantation of N+ into glass leads to blistering and concomitant softening.
- P. J. Burnett andT. F. Page,J. Mater. Sci. 19 (1984) 845.
- Idem, “Plastic Deformation of Ceramic Materials”, edited by R. C. Bradt and R. E. Tressler (Plenum Press, New York, 1984) p. 669.
- Idem, Proc. Mater. Res. Soc. 27 (1984) 401.
- J. M. Williams, C. J. McHargue andB. R. Appleton,Nucl. Inst. Meth. 209/210 (1983) 317.
- J. K. Cochran, K. O. Legg andH. F. Sulnick-Legg,Proc. Mater. Res. Soc. 24 (1984) 173.
- G. B. Krefft andE. P. Eernisse,J. Appl. Phys. 49 (1978) 2725.
- N. E. W. Hartley,J. Vac. Sci. Technol. 12 (1975) 485.
- E. P. Eernisse,J. Appl. Phys. 45 (1974) 167.
- B. V. King, J. C. Kelly andR. L. Dalglish,Nucl. Inst. Meth. 209/210 (1983) 1135.
- P. J. Burnett andT. F. Page,J. Mater. Sci. 19 (1984) 3524.
- S. G. Roberts andT. F. Page, “Ion Implantation into Metals”, edited by V. Ashworth, W. A. Grant and R. P. M. Proctor (Pergamon, Oxford, 1982) p. 135.
- B. R. Lawn andE. R. Fuller,J. Mater. Sci. 19 (1984)4061.
- T. Jensen, B. R. Lawn, R. L. Dalglish andJ. C. Kelly,Radiat. Eff. 28 (1976) 245.
- G. Carter andW. A. Grant, “Ion Implantation of Semiconductors”, (Edward Arnold, London, 1976) p. 42.
- J. Lindward, M. Scharff andH. E. SchiØtt,Matt. Fys. Med. Kgl. Dansk. Vid. Selsk. 33 (1963) No. 14.
- J. H. Crawford,J. Nucl. Mater. 108/109 (1982) 644.
- K. B. Winterbon, P. Sigmund andJ. B. Sanders,Matt. Fys. Med. Kgl. Dansk. Vid. Selsk. 37 (1970) No. 14.
- I. Manning andG. P. Mueller,Computer Phys. Commun. 7 (1974) 85.
- C. Wang, Y. Tao andS. Wang,J. Non-Cryst. Solids 52 (1982) 589.
- P. Ma'zzoldi,Nucl. Inst. Meth. 209/210 (1983) 1089.
- G. Deconninck, “Introduction to Radioanalytical Physics” (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1978).
- M. D. Matthews, Harwell Report AERE-R-10848 (AERE, Harwell, Oxon, 1983).
- B. R. Lawn andT. R. Wilshaw,J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 1049.
- H. Naramoto, C. W. White, J. M. Williams, C. J. McHargue, O. W. Holland, M. M. Abraham andB. R. Appleton,J. Appl. Phys. 54 (1983) 683.
- C. J. McHargue, H. Naramoto, B. R. Appleton, C. W. White andJ. M. Williams,Proc. Mater. Res. Soc. 7 (1982) 147.
- T. E. Mitchell andA. H. Heuer,Mater. Sci. Eng. 28 (1977)81.
- D. M. Marsh,Proc. R. Soc. A279 (1964) 420.
- K. W. Peter,J. Non-Cryst. Solids 5 (1970) 103.
- K. Witmaak andG. Staudenmaier,J. Nucl. Mater. 93/94 (1980) 581.
- M. L. Kronberg,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 45 (1962) 274.
- B. R. Lawn, A. G. Evans andD. B. Marshall,ibid. 63 (1980) 574.
- G. R. Anstis, P. Chantikul, B. R. Lawn andD. B. Marshall,ibid. 64 (1981) 533.
- P. M. Sargent andT. F. Page,Proc. Br. Ceram. Soc. 26 (1978) 209.
- J. T. Czernuszka andT. F. Page,ibid. 34 (1984) 145.
- R. C. Weast, “Handbook of Chemistry and Physics” (CRC Press, Cleveland, Ohio, 1976).
- A. J. Bourdillon, S. J. Bull, P. J. Burnett andT. F. Page,J. Mater. Sci. in press.
- An investigation of ion implantation-induced near-surface stresses and their effects in sapphire and glass
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 20, Issue 12 , pp 4624-4646
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors