The structure of polyoxymethylene produced by the radiation-induced, solid-state polymerization of trioxane
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
All features of the X-ray diffraction pattern of polyoxymethylene produced by radiation-induced, solid-state polymerization of trioxane have been examined. The heavy radial streaking observed on both our own and on previous workers' patterns has been explained and the hexagonal unit cell dimensions have been calculated.
We have computed sets of parameters for chain configurations which could exist within the accuracy of the measurement, and have shown that each configuration arises as a result of various indexing of the diffraction pattern. In conclusion we argue that such helical structures are better described in terms of their average chain parameters rather than by attempting to define an exact unit cell height or identity period. Finally, we have calculated a set of values for the parameters which exactly describe the polyoxymethylene chain.
- H. Tadokoro, T. Yasumoto, S. Murahashi, and I. Nitta, J. Polymer Sci. 44 (1960) 266.
- M. L. Huggins, J. Chem. Phys. 13 (1945) 37.
- E. Sauter, Z. Phys. Chem. B.18 (1932) 417.
- W. Cochran, F. H. C. Crick, and V. Vand, Acta Cryst. 5 (1952) 581.
- G. A. Carazzolo, S. Leghissa, and M. Mammi, Die Makromolek Chemie 60 (1963) 171.
- G. A. Carazzolo, J. Polymer Sci. A1 (1963) 1573.
- G. Adler, ibid A1, 4 (1966) 2883.
- Y. Chatani, T. Uchida, H. Tadokoro, H. Hayashi, M. Nishii, and S. Okamura, J. Macromol. Sci. (Phys.) B2 (1968) 567.
- M.D'Alagni, P. De Santis, A. M. Liquori, and L. Mazzarella, Nuovo Cimento 31 (1964) 1368.
- B. Crist and A. Peterlin, J. Polymer Sci. A2, 9 (1971) 557.
- P. J. Flory and J. E. Mark, Makromol. Chem. 75 (1964) 11.
- K. Hayashi H. Ochi, and S. Okamura, J. Polymer Sci. A2 (1964) 2929.
- I. Ishigaki, A. Ito, T. Iwai, and K. Hayashi, ibid A1, 9 (1971) 2511.
- H. Eyring, Phys. Rev. 39 (1932) 746.
- T. Shimanouchi and S. Mizushima, J. Chem. Phys. 23 (1) (1955) 707.
- P. De Santis, E. Giglio, A. M. Liquori, and A. Ripamonti, J. Polymer Sci. A1 (1963) 1383.
- H. J. M. Bowen and I. E. Sutton, “Tables of Interatomic Distances and Configurations in Molecules and Ions” (Chem. Soc., London 1958).
- V. S. Ryskin and A. I. Slutsker, Polymer Sci., USSR, 12 (1970) 2068.
- The structure of polyoxymethylene produced by the radiation-induced, solid-state polymerization of trioxane
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 8, Issue 9 , pp 1315-1324
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors