Declines in organochlorines in eggs of red-breasted mergansers from Lake Michigan, 1977–1978 versus 1990
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
From 1977–1978 to 1990, concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and most organochlorine pesticides declined in eggs of red-breasted mergansers (Mergus serrator) nesting on islands in northwestern Lake Michigan. Total PCBs decreased 60% (from 21 ppm in 1977–1978 to 8.5 ppm in 1990) and p,p′-DDE decreased 66% (from 6.5 to 2.2 ppm). Dieldrin decreased only 16% (from 0.82 to 0.69 ppm). In 1990, 79.1% of incubated eggs hatched, which was not significantly different from the 83.5% that hatched in 1977–1978.
- Environment Canada, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and Health and Welfare Canada: 1991, ‘Toxic Chemicals in the Great Lakes and Associated Effects. Volume I. Contaminant Levels and Trends’, 488 pp.
- Faber, R.A. and Hickey, J.J.: 1973, ‘Eggshell Thinning, Chlorinated Hydrocarbons, and Mercury in Inland Aquatic Bird Eggs, 1969 and 1970’, Pestic. Monit. J. 7, 27–36.
- Fox, G.A., Weseloh, D.V., Kubiak, T.J., and Erdman, T.C.: 1991, ‘Reproductive Outcomes in Colonial Fish-Eating Birds: A Biomarker for Developmental Toxicants in Great Lakes Food Chains. I. Historical and Ecotoxicological Perspectives’, J. Great Lakes Res. 17, 153–157.
- Haseltine, S.D., Heinz, G.H., Reichel, W.L., and Moore, J.F.: 1981, ‘Organochlorine and Metal Residues in Eggs of Waterfowl Nesting on Islands in Lake Michigan off Door County, Wisconsin, 1977–78’, Pestic. Monit. J. 15, 90–97.
- Heinz, G.H., Haseltine, S.D., Reichel, W.L., and Hensler, G.L.: 1983, ‘Relationships of Environmental Contaminants to Reproductive Success in Red-Breasted Mergansers Mergus serrator from Lake Michigan’, Environ. Pollut. 32, 211–232.
- Kozie, K.D. and Anderson, R.K.: 1991, ‘Productivity, Diet, and Environmental Contaminants in Bald Eagles Nesting Near the Wisconsin Shoreline of Lake Superior’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 20, 41–48.
- Kubiak, T.J., Harris, H.J., Smith, L.M., Schwartz, T.R., Stalling, D.L., Trick, J.A., Sileo, L., Docherty, D.E., and Erdman, T.C.: 1989, ‘Microcontaminants and Reproductive Impairment of the Forster's Tern on Green Bay, Lake Michigan — 1983’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 18, 706–727.
- Schmitt, C.J., Zajicek, J.L., and Peterman, P.H.: 1990, ‘National Contaminant Biomonitoring Program: Residues of Organochlorine Chemicals in U.S. Freshwater Fish, 1976–1984’, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 19, 748–781.
- Stickel, L.F., Wiemeyer, S.N., and Blus, L.J.: 1973, ‘Pesticide Residues in Eggs of Wild Birds: Adjustment for Loss of Moisture and Lipid’, Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 9, 193–196.
- Tillitt, D.E., Ankley, G.T., Giesy, J.P., Ludwig, J.P., Kurita-Matsuba, H., Weseloh, D.V., Ross, P.S., Bishop, C.A., Sileo, L., Stromborg, K.L., Larson, J., and Kubiak, T.J.: 1992, ‘Polychlorinated Biphenyl Residues and Egg Mortality in Double-Crested Cormorants from the Great Lakes’, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 11, 1281–1288.
- Weseloh, D.V., Custer, T.W., and Braune, B.M.: 1989, ‘Organochlorine Contaminants in Eggs of Common Terns from the Canadian Great Lakes, 1981’, Environ. Pollut. 59, 141–161.
- White, D.H. and Cromartie, E.: 1977, ‘Residues of Environmental Pollutants and Shell Thinning in Merganser Eggs’, Wilson Bull. 89, 532–542.
- Declines in organochlorines in eggs of red-breasted mergansers from Lake Michigan, 1977–1978 versus 1990
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 175-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Patuxent Environmental Science Center, U.S. National Biological Survey, 20708-4017, Laurel, MD, USA
- 2. 11590 Fordline, Apt. 102, 48101-1054, Allen Park, MI, USA
- 3. Laidlaw Environmental Services (GS), Inc., 902 S. Main Street, 53080, Saukville, WI, USA
- 4. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1015 Challenger Court, 54311, Green Bay, WI, USA