Structure and oxygen-barrier properties of metallized polymer film
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The structure of thin (10 to 50 nm) aluminium layers vacuum deposited on to polyester film is examined using both transmission electron microscopy and light microscopy. The density of pinhole defects in the aluminium coating, quantified by an image analysing microscope, is shown to determine the permeability of the film to oxygen. Finite element calculations of the effect of various pinhole diameters and densities on the permeability agree with experiment, and also show that the barrier properties of the polymer layers immediately adjacent to the metal coating are critical in determining the deleterious effect of pinhole defects.
- Kut, S. (1975) Metal Finishing 43: pp. 568
- Kut, S. In: Chapman, B. N., Anderson, J. C. eds. (1974) Science and Technology of Surface Coating. Academic Press, New Yorkpp. 43
- Kut, S. (1974) Prod. Finish. 38: pp. 45
- Kut, S. (1974) Prod. Finish. 38: pp. 89
- L. P. Anderson and B. C. Kemp, Metallised Packaging Films in the US Market, 3rd ICI European Metallising Symposium, Venice (1978).
- Veljkovic, S. R., Bibovic, P. (1978) Vacuum 27: pp. 141
- Pashley, D. W. (1965) Adv. Phys. 14: pp. 361
- Fridrich, J., Kohout, K. (1971) Thin Solid Films 7: pp. 49
- W. B. Pennebaker, IBM Research Report, RC2015 (1968).
- Chaudhari, P. J. (1966) Vac. Sci. Technol. 5: pp. 520
- Laugier, M. (1981) Thin Solid Films 79: pp. 15
- Blair, J. C., Ghate, P. B. (1980) Thin Solid Films 72: pp. 449
- Tolenski, S. (1948) Multiple Beam Interferometry. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- E. H. H. Jamieson, PhD thesis, Cambridge (1980).
- Klug, H. P., Alexander, L. E. (1974) X-Ray Diffraction Procedures for the Polycrystalline and Amorphous Materials. Chapman and Hall, London
- Mulder, B. J. (1978) Vacuum 28: pp. 11
- R. Clift, private communication (1979).
- Lloyd, J. R., Nakahara, S. (1977) Thin Solid Films 45: pp. 411
- Blech, I. A., Meieran, E. S. (1969) J. Apply. Phys. 40: pp. 485
- Gudimov, M. M. (1971) Fiz. Khim. Mekh. Mater. 7: pp. 59
- Brown, H., Escombe, F. (1900) Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. Lond. B193: pp. 223
- Myers, G. E. (1971) Analytical Methods in Conduction Heat Transfer. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Allen, D. N. deG., Dennis, S. C. R. (1951) J. Mech. Appl. Maths. 4: pp. 2
- Whiteman, J. R. (1973) J. Mech. Appl. Maths. 21: pp. 41
- R. M. Barrer, “Diffusion In and Through Solids” (Cambridge University Press, 1951).
- Structure and oxygen-barrier properties of metallized polymer film
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 64-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors