Nitro derivatives of the thiophene series. 4. Nitration of thiophene derivatives with metal nitrates in acetic anhydride
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The nitration of 2-formylthiophene, 2-acetothienone, and unsaturated ketones of the thiophene series with copper and aluminum nitrates in acetic anhydride at various temperatures was studied. At low temperatures 2-acetothienone gives a mixture of 4- and 5-nitro isomers, while 2-formylthipphene gives only a 5-nitro-substituted compound in the diacetate form; α,β-unsaturated ketones are not nitrated under these conditions. When the reaction is carried out at 70–90 °C, one can obtain mixtures of nitro ketones in the case of unsaturated ketones; 2-formylthiophene is oxidized to thiophene-2-carboxylic acid, while 2-acetothienone gives a substance, the structure of which could not be established. The reaction of copper and aluminum nitrates with acetic anhydride was investigated by means of thermal and x-ray diffraction analysis. It is shown that the reaction is accompanied by the formation of free nitric acid, and the nitrating agent in these mixtures is consequently the nitronium cation.
- Churkin, Yu. D., Panfilova, L. V., Shashkov, A. S., Burshtein, K. Ya. (1981) Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin. No. 6: pp. 753
- Rinkes, I. J. (1933) Rec. Trav. Chim. 52: pp. 538
- Tirouflet, J., Fournari, P. (1956) Compt. Rend. 243: pp. 61
- Egorova, V. S., Ivanova, V. N., Putokhin, N. I. (1964) Zh. Obshch. Khim. No. 12: pp. 4084
- Becker, H. (1977) Introduction to the Electronic Theory of Organic Reactions [Russian translation]. Mir, Moscow
- Saldabol, N. O., Giller, S. A. (1958) Izv. Akad. Nauk Latv. SSR No. 10: pp. 101
- Chirkin, Yu. D., Panfilova, L. V., Shashkov, A. S., Burshtein, K. Ya. (1981) Khim. Geterotsikl. Soedin. No. 3: pp. 325
- Menke, J. B. (1925) Rec. Trav. Chim. 44: pp. 141
- A. V. Zimichev and A. E. Lipkin, in: Structure and the Properties of Molecules [in Russian], Kuibyshev (1976), p. 128.
- ASTM Catalog, Nos. 24-310, 14-811, 14-687, 14-774, 17-778, and 12-472.
- The Chemist's Handbook [in Russian], Vol. 2, GNTIKhL, Leningrad-Moscow (1951), p. 19.
- Ingold, C. K. (1973) Theoretical Foundations of Organic Chemistry [Russian translation]. Mir, Moscow
- Campaigne, E., Monroe, P. (1953) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 75: pp. 988
- Dorofeenko, G. N. (1961) Zh. Obshch. Khim. 31: pp. 994
- G. Gilman (editor), Organic Syntheses [Russian translation], Vol. 1, Moscow (1949), p. 76.
- Nitro derivatives of the thiophene series. 4. Nitration of thiophene derivatives with metal nitrates in acetic anhydride
Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds
Volume 17, Issue 7 , pp 673-675
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors