UD-CG 115 — a cardiotonic pyridazinone which elevates cyclic AMP and prolongs the action potential in guinea-pig papillary muscle
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The mechanism of the positive inotropic effect of a benzimidazole-pyridazinone, UD-CG 115, was analysed in the isolated guinea-pig papillary muscle contracting isometrically at a frequency of 0.2 Hz.
UD-CG 115 produced a slowly developing and poorly reversible positive inotropic effect increasing with concentration (3–300 μmol/l). The effect amounted to 30 and 74% of the maximum inotropic effect of a standard, dihydroouabain, at 34 and 300 μmol/l, respectively. Low concentrations shortened and 300 μmol/l UD-CG 115 significantly prolonged the duration of contraction. The enhancement of the maximum rate of relaxation, S 2, was intermediate between those produced by isoprenaline and dihydroouabain, respectively.
UD-CG 115 prolonged the duration of the transmembrane action potential (90% repol.) by up to 22% at 300 μmol/l, whereas an equieffective concentration of isoprenaline did not consistently alter action potential duration. UD-CG 115 increased V max and overshoot, and prolonged the duration, of slow action potentials elicited at 24 mmol/l [K]0.
The inotropic potency of UD-CG 115 was not significantly changed by reserpine pretreatment of the guinea pig or by the presence of 1 μmol/l (−)-propranolol, 3 μmol/l phentolamine or 10 μmol/l cimetidine. Neither was it reduced by 10 μmol/l TTX. The inotropic effect of 100 μmol/l UD-CG 115 remained unchanged when [K]0 was elevated from 3.2 to 12.0 mmol/l. A sarcolemmal preparation of guinea-pig ventricular Na,K-ATPase was only slightly inhibited by the highest concentration of UD-CG 115.
Carbachol (0.1–3 μmol/l) inhibited the positive inotropic effect of UD-CG 115, and this antagonism disappeared in the presence of 1 μmol/l atropine.
In the presence of a moderately effective concentration of UD-CG 115 (10 μmol/l) the inotropic potencies (-log EC50) of isoprenaline, histamine, and IBMX were all significantly increased by 0.60±0.07, 0.36±0.06, and 0.44±0.06 log units, respectively, whereas that of dihydroouabain was not significantly affected.
UD-CG 115 increased the force of the rested-state contraction by augmenting the late component of contraction.
Cyclic AMP content determined by radioimmunoassay in individual papillary muscles was raised 1.64-fold in the presence of 10 μmol/l UD-CG 115, but did not significantly increase beyond this level when drug concentration was raised further up to 30-fold. Carbachol prevented the effect of UD-CG 115 on cyclic AMP content.
Addition of UD-CG 115 in the presence of the maximally effective concentration of isoprenaline gave a further positive inotropic and klinotropic effect, whereas the phosphodiesterase inhibitor IBMX was without effect on contraction under this condition.
These findings are consistent with the proposal that the inotropic action of UD-CG 115 depends on a moderate elevation of cyclic AMP (not involving β-adrenoceptors or histamine-H2-receptors but probably due to phosphodiesterase inhibition) combined with a prolongation of the action potential that augments the inotropic cyclic AMP effect by increasing Ca influx through Ca channels.
- Bassingthwaighte JB, Fry CH, McGuigan JAS (1976) Relationship between internal calcium and outward current in mammalian ventricular muscle: a mechanism for the control of action potential duration? J Physiol (Lond) 262:15–37
- Beręsewicz A, Reuter H (1977) The effects of adrenaline and theophylline on action potential and contraction of mammalian ventricular muscle under “rested-state” and “steady-state” stimulation. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 301: 99–107
- Brandt W, Reiter M, Seibel K (1972) “Supramaximal” enhancement of the inotropic effect of noradrenaline by tyramine. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 273:294–306
- Diederen W, Dämmgen J, Kadatz R (1982) Cardiovascular profile of UD-CG 115, a new orally and long acting cardiotonic compound, not related to β-mimetics or cardiac glycosides. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol (Abstract) 321:R36
- Diederen W, Weisenberger H (1981) Studies on the mechanism of the positive-inotropic action of AR-L 115 BS, a new cardiotonic drug. Arzneimittelforsch 31:177–182
- Dudel J, Trautwein W (1958) Elektrophysiologische Messungen zur Strophanthinwirkung am Herzmuskel. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 232:393–407
- Ebner F, Reiter M (1977) The dependence on contraction frequency of the positive inotropic effect of dihydro-ouabain. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 300:1–9
- Endoh M, Yamashita S, Taira N (1982) Positive inotropic effect of amrinone in relation to cyclic nucleotide metabolism in the canine ventricular muscle. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 221:775–783
- Evans DB, Weishaar RE, Kaplan HR (1982) Strategy for the discovery and development of a positive inotropic agent. Pharmacol Ther 16:303–330
- Halbach S, Schönsteiner G, Ebner F, Reiter M (1981) The effects of p-chloromercuriphenylsulfonic acid (PCMBS) on the force of contraction of mammalian myocardium and on ATP hydrolysis by sarcolemmal ATPase. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 318:121–129
- Heiss A, Schäfer-Korting M, Honerjäger P (1982) New cardiotonic benzimidazole-pyridazinone: apparent magnification of inotropic effect of endogenous cyclic AMP. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol (Abstract) 321:R36
- Honerjäger P (1982) Cardioactive substances that prolong the open state of sodium channels. Rev Physiol Biochem Pharmacol 92: 1–74
- Honerjäger P, Schäfer-Korting M, Reiter M (1981) Involvement of cyclic AMP in the direct inotropic action of amrinone. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 318:112–120
- Josephson I, Sperelakis N (1982) On the ionic mechanism underlying adrenergic-cholinergic antagonism in ventricular muscle. J Gen Physiol 79:69–86
- Kariya T, Wille LJ, Dage RC (1982) Biochemical studies on the mechanism of cardiotonic activity of MDL 17,043. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 4:509–514
- Korth M (1978) Effects of several phosphodiesterase-inhibitors on guinea-pig myocardium. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 302:77–86
- Quadbeck J, Reiter M (1975) Adrenoceptors in cardiac ventricular muscle and changes in duration of action potential caused by noradrenaline and isoprenaline. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 288:403–414
- Reiter M (1967) Die Wertbestimmung inotrop wirkender Arzneimittel am isolierten Papillarmuskel. Arzneimittelforsch 17: 1249–1253
- Reiter M (1968) Versuche über die pharmakologische Beeinflussung der elektromechanischen Koppelung. In: Reindell H, Keul J, Doll E (eds) Herzinsuffizienz. Pathophysiologie und Klinik. Thieme, Stuttgart, pp 102–108
- Reiter M (1972) Differences in the inotropic cardiac effects of noradrenaline and dihydro-ouabain. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 275:243–250
- Reiter M (1981) The positive inotropic action of cardioactive steroids on cardiac ventricular muscle. In: Greeff K (ed) Handbook of experimental pharmacology, vol 56/I, Cardiac glycosides. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 187–219
- Reuter H (1979) Properties of two inward membrane currents in the heart. Annu Rev Physiol 41:413–424
- Sanchez-Chapula J (1981) Multiple effects of putative α-adrenoceptor agonists on the electrical and mechanical activity of guinea-pig papillary muscle. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 316:108–111
- Scholz H (1980) Effects of beta- and alpha-adrenoceptor activators and adrenergic transmitter releasing agents on the mechanical activity of the heart. In: Szekeres L (ed), Handbook of experimental pharmacology, vol 54/I. Adrenergic activators and inhibitors, part I. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 651–733
- Seibel K, Karema E, Takeya K,Reiter M (1978) Effect of noradrenaline on an early and a late component of the myocardial contraction. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 305:65–74
- Tada M, Katz AM (1982) Phosphorylation of the sarcoplasmic reticulum and sarcolemma. Annu Rev Physiol 44:401–423
- Terasaki WL, Brooker G (1977) Cardiac adenosine 3′:5′-monophosphate. Free and bound forms in the isolated rat atrium. J Biol Chem 252:1041–1050
- Tsien RW (1977) Cyclic AMP and contractile activity in heart. Adv Cyclic Nucleotide Res 8:363–420
- Wagner J, Brodde O-E (1978) On the presence and distribution of α-adrenoceptors in the heart of various mammalian species. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 302:239–254
- Watanabe AM, Besch HR (1975) Interaction between cyclic adenosine monophosphate and cyclic guanosine monophosphate in guinea pig myocardium. Circ Res 37:309–315
- UD-CG 115 — a cardiotonic pyridazinone which elevates cyclic AMP and prolongs the action potential in guinea-pig papillary muscle
Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology
Volume 325, Issue 3 , pp 259-269
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- UD-CG 115
- Phosphodiesterase inhibitor
- Positive inotropic effect
- Cyclic AMP
- Cardiac action potential
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie der Technischen Universität München, Biedersteiner Strasse 29, D-8000, München 40, Federal Republic of Germany
- 2. Abteilung Pharmakologie, Gesellschaft für Strahlen-und Umweltforschung, D-8042, Neuherberg, Federal Republic of Germany