Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in the seaweed fly, Coelopa frigida
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Seaweed flies (Coelopa frigida) inhabit piles of decaying seaweed on the seashore. All populations so far studied have been found to be polymorphic at the alcohol dehydrogenase locus (Adh). This article reports an attempt to identify some of the forces of natural selection that may be maintaining this polymorphism. First, the genetic determination of the rather complex isozyme system is described. Several inbred lines homozygous at the Adh locus were derived and the biochemical properties of their allozymes compared. Significant differences in both specific activities and thermal stabilities were found between ADH allozymes. A simple experiment is reported in which individuals with different Adh genotypes were cultured in competition with each other in the presence of elevated levels of ethanol. Although the presence of ethanol resulted in greater mortality, there is no evidence that it was selective with respect to the Adh genotypes. The possible relevance of these results to the maintenance of the Adh polymorphism is discussed.
- Allison, A. C. (1955) Aspects of polymorphism in man. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 20: pp. 239
- Beckenbach, A. T., Prakash, S. (1977) Examination of allelic variation at the hexokinase loci of Drosophila pseudoobscura and D. persimilis by different methods. Genetics 87: pp. 743
- Berry, R. J. (1977) Inheritance and Natural History. William Collins Sons and Co. Ltd., London
- Burnet, B., Thompson, U. (1960) Laboratory culture of Coelopa frigida (F). Proc. R. Entomol. Soc. Lond. (A) 35: pp. 85
- Clarke, B. (1975) The contribution of ecological genetics to evolutionary theory: Detecting the direct effects of natural selection on particular polymorphic loci. Genetics 79: pp. 101
- Collins, P. M. (1978). Studies on genetic polymorphism on Coelopa frigida. Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham.
- David, J., Fouillet, P., Arens, M. F. (1974) Comparaison de la sensibilité a l'alcool éthylique des six espèces de Drosophila du sous-groupe melanogaster. Arch. Zool. Exp. Génet. 115: pp. 401
- Day, T. H., Needham, L. (1974) Properties of alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes in a strain of Drosophila melanogaster homozygous for the Adh-slow allele. Biochem. Genet. 11: pp. 167
- Day, T. H., Hillier, P. C., Clarke, B. (1974) Properties of genetically polymorphic isozymes of alcohol dehydrogenase in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem. Genet. 11: pp. 141
- Day, T. H., Hillier, P. C., Clarke, B. (1974) The relative quantities and catalytic activities of enzymes produced by alleles at the alcohol dehydrogenase locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem. Genet. 11: pp. 155
- Dayhoff, M. D. (1976) Atalas of protein Sequence and Structure, Vol. 5, Suppl. 2 (1976) and Suppl. 3 (1978), National Biomedical Research Foundation. Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington D.C.
- Doane, W. W. (1969) Amylase variants of Drosophila melanogaster: Linkage studies and characterisation of enzyme extracts. J. Exp. Zool. 171: pp. 321
- Dobson, T. (1974) Studies on the biology of the kelp-fly Coelopa in Great Britain. J. Nat. Hist. 8: pp. 155
- Dobson, T. (1974) Mechanisms controlling species composition in natural populations of the seaweed fly Coelopa. J. Nat. Hist. 8: pp. 653
- Dobson, T. Seaweed flies (Diptera: Coelopidae, etc.). In: Chang, L. eds. (1976) Marine Insects. North-Holland, Amsterdam
- Gibson, J. B. (1970) Enzyme flexibility in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 227: pp. 959
- Harris, H. (1971) Protein polymorphism in man. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 13: pp. 381
- Harris, H. (1975) The principles of Human Biochemical Genetics. North-Holland, Amsterdam
- Hass, L. F., Lewis, M. S. (1963) Alkali induced structural changes in muscle aldolase. Biochemistry 2: pp. 1368
- Johnson, G. B. (1978) Structural flexibility of isozyme variants: Genetic variants in Drosophila disguised by cofactor and subunit binding. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 75: pp. 395
- Kelsey, M. C. (1969). An investigation into the alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism of Coelopa frigida. B.Sc. thesis, Department of Zoology, University of Edinburgh.
- Koehn, R. K. (1970) Functional and evolutionary dynamics of polymorphic esterases in catastomid fishes. Tr. Am. Fish Soc. 99: pp. 219
- Koehn, R. K., Perez, J. E., Merritt, R. B. (1971) Esterase enzyme function and genetical structure of populations of the freshwater fish, Notropis stramincus. Am. Nat. 105: pp. 51
- Merrit, R. B. (1972) Geographic distribution and enzymatic properties of lactate dehydrogenase allozymes in the fathead minnow, Pimephales pomelas. Am. Nat. 106: pp. 173
- Morgan, P. (1975) Selection acting directly on an enzyme polymorphism. Heredity 34: pp. 124
- Morgan, P. (1975b). Some factors affecting the stability of the esterase-6 and alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in Drosophila melanogaster. Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham.
- Phelps, R. A., Putnam, F. W. In: Putnam, F. W. eds. (1960) The Plasma Proteins. Academic Press, New Yorkpp. 143
- Pietruszko, R., Ringold, H. J., Li, T.-K., Vallee, B. L., Akeson, A., Theorell, H. (1969) Structure and function relationships in isoenzymes of horse liver alcohol dehydrogenase. Nature 221: pp. 440
- Prakash, S. (1977) Allelic variants at the xanthine dehydrogenase locus affecting enzyme activity in Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 87: pp. 159
- Schwartz, M., Gerace, L., O'Donnell, J., Sofer, W. In: Markert, C. eds. (1975) Isozymes, Vol. 1. Academic Press, New York, pp. 725-751
- Singh, R. A., Lewontin, R. C., Felton, A. A. (1976) Genetic heterogeneity within electrophoretic “alleles” of xanthine dehydrogenase in Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genetics 84: pp. 609
- Snedecor, G. W., Cochran, W. G. (1967) Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa
- Thompson, U. (1951). Studies on the genetics and ecology of Coelopa frigida (Fabricius). Ph.D. thesis, University of Durham.
- Vigue, C. L., Johnson, F. M. (1973) Isozyme variability in species of the genus Drosophila. VI. Frequency-property-environment relationships of allelic alcohol dehydrogenase in D. melanogaster. Biochem. Genet. 9: pp. 213
- Warner, R. C. (1954). In Neurath, H., and Bailey, K. (eds.), The Proteins, Vol. 2, Part A, New York, p. 435.
- Watt, W. B. (1977) Adaptation at specific loci. I. Natural selection in phosphoglucose isomerase of Colias butterflies: biochemical and population aspects. Genetics 87: pp. 177
- Weber, K., Osborn, M. (1969) The reliability of molecular weight determinations by dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. J. Biol. Chem. 244: pp. 4406
- Wills, C. W. (1973) In defence of naive pan-selectionism. Am. Nat. 107: pp. 23
- Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in the seaweed fly, Coelopa frigida
Volume 18, Issue 7-8 , pp 727-742
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Coelopa frigida
- alcohol dehydrogenase