Capillary-gravity waves against a corrugated vertical cliff
- A. Chakrabarti
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An analysis involving a transformation of the velocity potential and a Fourier Sine Transform technique is described to study the effect of surface tension on incoming surface waves against a vertical cliff with a periodic wall perturbation. Known results are recovered as particular cases of the general problem considered. An analytical expression is derived for the surface elevation, at far distances from the shore-line, by using Watson's lemma and a representative table of numerical values of the coefficients of the resulting asymptotic expansion is also presented.
- Chakrabarti, A. and Nalini, V.N.: Hydrodynamic pressure on a dam with a periodically corrugated reservoir bed. Acta Mechanica 60 (1986) 91–97.
- Erdogan, F.: Stress distribution in bonded dissimilar materials with cracks. J. Appl. Mech. 32 (1965) 403–410.
- Faulkner, T.R.: The diffraction of an obliquety incident surface wave by a vertical barrier of finite depth. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 62 (1966) 829–838.
- Packham, B.A.: Capillary-gravity waves against a vertical cliff. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 64 (1968) 827–832.
- Rhodes Robinson: On the forced surface wave due to a vertical wave-maker in the presence of surface tension. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 70 (1971) 323–337.
- Sneddon, I.N.: The Use of Integral Transforms. Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi (1974).
- Stoker, J.J.: Surface waves in water of variable depth, Quartly. of Appl. Math. 5 (1947) 1–54.
- Williams, W.E.: Note on the scattering of water waves by a vertical barrier. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 62 (1966) 507–509.
- Williams, W.E.: Partial Differential Equations. Clarendon, Oxford (1980) p. 232.
- Capillary-gravity waves against a corrugated vertical cliff
Applied Scientific Research
Volume 45, Issue 4 , pp 303-317
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- A. Chakrabarti (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India