The role of women peasants in the process of desertification in Western Sudan
- Fouad N. Ibrahim
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Women peasants in the Sudan are both agents of and sufferers from the process of desertification which is taking place in the arid and semi-arid zone. The researchwork done by the author on the problem of desertification in the west of the Republic of the Sudan convinced him that women there suffer much more than men do from the decrease of land productivity. Paradoxically enough, women themselves have actively taken part in desertifying their environment in their desperate attempt to keep their families living. This paper endeavours to highlight the role of peasant women in areas prone to or already stricken by desertification. Especially in the transitional phases following drought disasters and loss of live-stock the whole brunt of catering for the family falls on the shoulders of peasant women. Three main issues are being tackled: Millet production as essentially women's task, rainfall variability and its impact on women cultivators, the settlement of nomads and semi-nomads as a new burden laid on women. Finally, some suggestions are made to improve the conditions of women's work to provide nutrition for their families without doing much destruction to the fragile environment and its limited resources.
- Asad, T.: Seasonal Movements of the Kababish Arabs of Northern Kordofan. Khartum (S.N.R.45) 1954.
- Ahmed, A.M.: Some Aspects of Pastoral Nomadism in the Sudan. Khartum 1976.
- Barbour, K.M.: The Republic of the Sudan, a Regional Geography. London 1961.
- Baxter, D. (March 1981) Woman and the Environment — A Downward Spiral. Sudanow, Khartum
- Born, M.: Zentralkordofan. Bauern und Nomaden in Savannengebeiten des Sudan. Marburger Geographische Schriften 25 (1965)
- Herzog, R.: Die Hawawir, eine Berbergruppe in der Bajuda-Wüste. Mitt. Inst. f. Orientforschung 3 (1955)
- Herzog, R.: Seßhaftwerden von Nomaden. Forschungsbericht des Landes NRW 1238 (1963)
- Holy, L.: Neighbours and Kinsmen — a Study of the Berti People of Darfur. London 1974.
- Ibrahim, F.: Millet Cultivation as a Major Cause of Desertification in Darfur and Kordofan, Sudan. Regional IGU Conf. 1, 1–4. Lagos 1978.
- Ibrahim, F. (1978) Anthropogenic Causes of Desertification in Western Sudan. GeoJournal 2: pp. 243-254
- Ibrahim, F. (1978) Desertification, ein weltweites Problem. Eine Auswertung der UN-Konferenz über Desertification in Nairobi 1977. Geogr. Rundschau 30: pp. 104-107
- Ibrahim, F.: The Problem of Desertification in the Republic of the Sudan with Special Reference to Northern Darfur Province. SRC Monograph Series 8. Khartum 1978.
- Ibrahim, F.: Desertification in Nord-Darfur. Hamburger Geographische Studien 35, 175 pp. (1980)
- Ibrahim, F. (1980) Sudan, Land und Bevölkerung. Republik Sudan —Staat, Politik, Wirtschaft. Mitteilungen des Deutschen Orientinstituts 14: pp. 1-15
- Khogali, M.M.: The Physical and Human Factors that Contributed to the Development of Trade and Migration Routes of Central Bilad al-Sudan. Paper pres. on the 3rd Internat. Conf. on Central Bilad al-Sudan. Khartum 1977.
- Khogali, M.M.: Western Sudanese Migrants to Khashm El-Girba Agricultural Region. A Case Study. Paper pres. on the IGU Population Preconf. Symp. Zaira. Nigeria 1978.
- Lebon, J.H.G. (1965) Land Use in Sudan. Bude, Cornwall
- MacMichael, H.A.: The Tribes of Northern and Central Kordofan. London 1912, Repr. 1967.
- MacMichael, H.A.: A History of the Arabs in the Sudan, and Some Account of the People who Preceded them and of the Tribes Inhabiting Darfur. Vol. 1.2. Cambridge 1922.
- Mensching, H., Ibrahim, F.: The Problem of Desertification in and around Arid Lands, with two Contributions on the Anthropogenic Destruction of Land Use Potential and a Discussion of Measures for Rehabilitation. In: Mensching H., Hohnholz, J. (eds.), Applied Sciences and Development. Vol. 10, 7–43. Tübingen 1977.
- Mensching, H., Ibrahim, F. (1978) Desertifications in der Sahelzone der Republik Sudan. Afrika Spectrum 13: pp. 5-20
- Nachtigal, G.: Sahara und Sudan. T. 3: Wadai und Dar-For. Leipzig 1889.
- Slatin, R.: Baggara und Nubaner. Das Ausland 49. Stuttgart (1876)
- Tubiana, M.-J., Tubiana, J.: The Zaghawa from an Ecological Perspective. Rotterdam 1977.
- UNESCO: Nomades et Nomadisme au Sahara. Recherches sur la zone aride. Paris 1963.
- The role of women peasants in the process of desertification in Western Sudan
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 25-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Fouad N. Ibrahim (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Inst. f. Geowissenschaften der Universität, Postfach 3008, D-8580, Bayreuth, Germany