Controlling homoclinic orbits
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we analyze various control-theoretic aspects of a nonlinear control system possessing homoclinic or heteroclinic orbits. In particular, we show that for a certain class of nonlinear control system possessing homoclinic orbits, a control can be found such that the system exhibits arbitrarily long periods in a neighborhood of the homoclinic. We then apply these ideas to bursting phenomena in the near wall region of a turbulent boundary layer. Our analysis is based on a recently developed finite-dimensional model of this region due to Aubry, Holmes, Lumley, and Stone.
- D. Armbruster, J. Guckenheimer, and P. Holmes (1988). Heteroclinic cycles and modulated travelling waves in systems with O(2) symmetry. Phys. D, 29, 257–282.
- V. Arnold (1978). Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- N. Aubry, P. Holmes, J.L. Lumley, and E. Stone (1988). The dynamics of coherent structures in the wall region of a turbulent boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech., 192, 115–173.
- N. Aubry, J.L. Lumley, and P. Holmes (1989). The effect of drag reduction on the wall region. Theoret. Comput. Fluid Dynamics, submitted.
- S. Barnett (1975). Introduction to Mathematical Control Theory. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- R.W. Brockett (1970). Finite-Dimensional Linear Systems. Wiley, New York.
- R.W. Brockett (1972). Systems theory on group manifolds and coset spaces. SIAM J. Control Optim., 10, 265–284.
- R. Hermann and A.J. Krener (1977). Nonlinear controllability and observability. IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 22, 725–740.
- C. Jones and M. Proctor (1987). Strong spatial resonance and travelling waves in Bernard convection. Phys. Lett. A, 121, 224–227.
- V. Jurdjevic and J. Quinn (1978). Controllability and stability. J. Differential Equations, 28, 381–389.
- I. Kubo and J.L. Lumley (1980). A study to assess the potential for using long chain polymers dissolved in water to study turbulence. An. Rep. NASA-AMES Grant No. NSG-2382, Cornell University.
- H. Kwakernaak and R. Sivan (1972). Linear Optimal Control Systems. Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- J.L. Lumley (1967). The structure of inhomogeneous turbulent flows. In Atmospheric Turbulence and Radio Wave Propagation (ed. A.M. Yaglom and V.I. Tatarskii), pp. 166–178. Nauka, Moscow.
- J.L. Lumley (1970). Stochastic Tools in Turbulence. Academic Press, New York.
- J.L. Lumley (1981). Coherent structures in turbulence. In Transition and Turbulence (ed. R.E. Meyer), pp. 215–242. Academic Press, New York.
- J.L. Lumley and I. Kubo (1984). Turbulent drag reduction by polymer additives; a survey. In The Influence of Polymer Additives on Velocity and Temperature Fields. IUTAM Symposium, Essen, 1984 (ed. B. Gampert), pp. 3–21, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- J.L. Lumley, J.M. Guckenheimer, J.E. Marsden, P.J. Holmes, and S. Leibovich (1988). Structure and control of the wall region in a turbulent boundary layer. Proposal No. 88-NA-321, August, 1988.
- B. Nicolaenko (1986). Lecture delivered at workshop on Computational Aspects of Dynamical Systems, Mathematical Sciences Institute, Cornell University, September 8–10, 1986.
- L.P. Silnikov (1967). The existence of a denumerable set of periodic motions in four-dimensional space in an extended neighborhood of a saddle-focus. Soviet Math. Dokl., 8, 54–58.
- J.J. Stoker (1950). Nonlinear Vibrations. Wiley, New York.
- E. Stone and P. Holmes (1988). Random perturbations of heteroclinic attractors. Preprint.
- H.J. Sussman and V. Jurdjevic (1972). Controllability of nonlinear systems. J. Differential Equations, 12, 95–116.
- A.J. van der Schaft (1986). Stabilization of Hamiltonian systems. Nonlinear Anal. Theory Methods Applic., 10, 1021–1035.
- S. Wiggins (1988). Global Bifurcations and Chaos. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Controlling homoclinic orbits
Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 179-190
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. MSI, Cornell University, 14853, Ithaca, NY, USA
- 2. Department of Mathematics, Ohio State University, 43210, Columbus, OH, USA
- 3. Department of Mathematics, University of California, 94720, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 4. Cornell University, 14853-7901, Ithaca, NY, USA