Ammonia assimilation in blue-green algae
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The occurrence of alanine dehydrogenase (AlaDH), glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH), and 2-ketoglutarate: glutamine amidotransferase (GGAT), has been surveyed in a number of blue-green algae. Among nine unicellular strains grown with nitrate, and belonging to five of the major typological groups, AlaDH was present in seven, and GDH in all eight that were assayed. In ten filamentous strains grown with nitrate, and belonging to the three nonheterocyst-forming and four heterocyst-forming groups, AlaDH was present in six, but both AlaDH and GDH were present in only one strain. In those strains which could be grown with N2 as sole nitrogen source, levels of GDH were generally lower, and AlaDH higher in cells fixing N2 than in those growing with nitrate. GGAT was undetectable in N2-grown cells. Two unicellular and three filamentous strains were tested for their ability to use L-alanine, L-glutamate, L-glutamine, and L-asparagine as sole sources of nitrogen. Of these, L-asparagine was utilized most effectively. There was little difference in levels of GDH in cells grown with nitrate or with L-asparagine, while the levels of AlaDH were slightly lower in cells grown with L-asparagine.
- Burk, R., Pateman, J.: Glutamic and alanine dehydrogenase determined by one gene in Neurospora crassa. Nature (Lond.) 196, 450–451 (1962).
- Elmerich, C., Aubert, J.: Synthesis of glutamate by a glutamine: 2-oxoglutarate amidotransferase (NADP oxidoreductase) in Bacillus megaterium. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 42, 371–377 (1971).
- Germano, G. J., Anderson, K. E.: Purification and properties of L-alanine dehydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricans. J. Bact. 96, 55–60 (1968).
- Goldman, D. S.: Enzyme systems in Mycobacteria VII. Purification, properties, and mechanism of action of the alanine dehydrogenase. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 34, 527–539 (1959). CrossRef
- Hong, M. M., Shen, S. C., Braunstein, A. E.: Distribution of L-alanine dehydrogenase and L-glutamate dehydrogenase in Bacilli. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 36, 288–289 (1959). CrossRef
- Hood, W., Carr, N. G.: Apparent lack of control by repression of arginine metabolism in blue-green algae. J. Bact. 107, 365–367 (1971).
- Jacobson, L.: Maintenance of an iron supply in nutrient solutions by a single addition of ferric potassium ethylenediamine tetraacetate. Plant Physiol. 26, 411–413 (1951).
- Joy, K. W.: Nitrogen metabolism of Lemna minor. II. Enzymes of nitrate assimilation and some aspects of their regulation. Plant Physiol. 44, 849–853 (1969).
- Kenyon, C. N., Rippka, R., Stanier, R. Y.: Fatty acid composition and physiological properties of some filamentous blue-green algae. Arch. Mikrobiol. 83, 216–236 (1972).
- Kratz, W. A., Myers, J.: Nutrition and growth of several blue-green algae. Amer. J. Bot. 42, 282–287 (1955).
- Kretovitch, W. L., Evstigneeva, Z. G., Tamova, N. G.: Effect of nitrogen source on glutamate dehydrogenase and alanine dehydrogenase in Chlorella. Canad. J. Bot. 48, 1179–1183 (1970).
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., Randall, R. J.: Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. biol. Chem. 193, 265–275 (1951).
- Malofeeva, I. V.: Amino acid formation by Chloropseudomonas ethylica. Doklady Akad. Nauk SSR 182, 960–962 (1968).
- Meers, J. L., Pedersen, L. K.: Nitrogen assimilation by Bacillus licheniformis organisms growing in chemostat cultures. J. gen. Microbiol. 70, 277–286 (1972).
- Nagatani, H., Shimizu, M., Valentine, R. C.: The mechanism of ammonia assimilation in nitrogen fixing bacteria. Arch. Mikrobiol. 79, 164–175 (1971).
- Pearce, J., Leach, C. K., Carr, N. G.: The incomplete tricarboxylic acid cycle in the blue-green alga Anabaena variabilis. J. gen. Microbiol. 55, 371–378 (1969).
- Rippka, R., Neilson, A., Cohen-Bazire, G., Kunisawa, R.: Nitrogen fixation by unicellular blue-green algae. Arch. Mikrobiol. 76, 341–348 (1971).
- Seidler, R. J., Mandel, M., Baptist, J. N.: Molecular heterogeneity of the Bdellovibrios: evidence of two new species. J. Bact. 109, 209–217 (1972).
- Stanier, R. Y., Kunisawa, R., Mandel, M., Cohen-Bazire, G.: Purification and properties of unicellular blue-green algae (Order Chroococcales). Bact. Rev. 35, 171–205 (1971).
- Syrett, P. J.: Nitrogen assimilation. In: Physiology and biochemistry of algae, ed. R. A. Lewin, p. 173. New York: Academic Press 1962.
- Tempest, D. W., Meers, J. L., Brown, C. M.: Synthesis of glutamate in aerobacter aerogenes by a hitherto unknown route. Biochem. J. 117, 405–407 (1970).
- Thomulka, K. W., Moat, A. G.: Inorganic nitrogen assimilation in yeasts: alteration in enzyme activities associated with changes in cultural conditions and growth phase. J. Bact. 109, 25–33 (1972).
- Wyatt, J. T., Lawley, G. G., Barnes, R. D.: Blue-green algal responses to some organic-nitrogen substrates. Naturwissenschaften 58, 570–571 (1971).
- Ammonia assimilation in blue-green algae
Archiv für Mikrobiologie
Volume 89, Issue 1 , pp 15-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors