The growth unit of the mould Geotrichum candidum
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Geotrichum candidum grew filamentously in batch culture. Hyphal fragmentation occurred during growth; mycelial fragments in the early part of the stationary phase had a mean length of 300 to 400 μm. The dry weight, total hyphal length, number of hyphal tips and turbidity of the culture all increased exponentially at about the same specific growth rate. The results suggested, the existence of a functional unit of growth consisting of a hyphal tip associated with a constant mean length of hypha. The hyphal growth unit was defined as the ratio between the total hyphal length and number of hyphal tips in the culture; for G. candidum this unit was about 100 μm long and its length remained constant when the organism's specific growth rate was varied by changes in temperature, carbon source or the incorporation of cycloheximide in the medium.
- Bracker, C. E.: Ultrastructure of Fungi. Ann. Rev. Phytopath. 5, 343–374 (1967).
- Katz, D., Goldstein, D., Rosenberger, R. F.: Model for branch initiation in Aspergillus nidulans based on measurements of growth parameters. J. Bact. 109, 1097–1100 (1972).
- Kubitschek, H. E.: Evidence for the generality of linear cell growth. J. theoret. Biol. 28, 15–29 (1970).
- Kubitschek, H. E.: The relationship between cell growth and generation time. Biophys. J. 11, 961–963 (1971).
- Plomley, N. J.: Formation of the colony in the fungus Chaetomium. Aust. J. biol. Sci. 12, 53–64 (1959).
- Righelato, R. C., Trinci, A. P. J., Pirt, S. J., Peat, A.: The influence of maintenance energy and growth rate on the metabolic activity, morphology and conidiation of Penicillium chrysogenum. J. gen. Microbiol. 50, 399–412 (1968).
- Trinci, A. P. J.: A kinetic study of the growth of Aspergillus nidulans and other fungi. J. gen. Microbiol. 57, 11–24 (1969).
- Trinci, A. P. J.: Influence of the width of the peripheral growth zone on the radial growth rate of fungal colonies on solid media. J. gen. Microbiol. 67, 325–344 (1971).
- Trinci, A. P. J.: Culture turbidity as a measure of mould growth. Trans. Brit. mycol. Soc. 58, 467–473 (1972).
- The growth unit of the mould Geotrichum candidum
Archiv für Mikrobiologie
Volume 88, Issue 1 , pp 1-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors