Noise analysis of refractive index profile measurements of an optical fibre and preform by deflection function techniques
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It is shown that many of the existing index profiling methods for optical fibre and preform are related to one another through the deflection function from which the index profile is reconstructed. These methods are classified into direct deflection function measurement, integral (or phase) measurement, and differential (or intensity) measurement. The deflection function from the integral method is obtained by measuring the phase distribution of the exit rays followed by numerical differentiation. Thus the reconstructed index profile has Gaussian noise. The deflection function from the differential method is obtained by measuring the light intensity distribution followed by a numerical integration. This process enhances low frequency noise but suppresses high frequency noise. The noise from direct method behaves in the similar manner as in the differential method except that it is less pronounced. Studies of the choice of methods for profiling of preform, multimode fibre and single mode fibre are also given.
- P.L. Chu and T. Whitbread, Error analysis of refractive index profile measurements of optical fibre and preform. In: Huang Hung-chia and Allan W. Snyder (eds.) Optical Waveguide Sciences. Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague (1983) pp. 213–221.
- P.L. Chu, Nondestructive measurement of index profile of an optical fibre preform. Electron. Lett. 13 (1977) 736–738.
- H.M. Presby, D. Marcuse, L. Boggs and H.W. Astle, Rapid automatic index profiling of whole fibre sample: Part II. B.S.T.J. 58 (1979) 883–902.
- D. Marcuse, Refractive index determination by the focussing method. Appl. Opt. 18 (1979) 9–13.
- I. Sasaki, D. Payne and M.J. Adams, Measurement of refractive index profiles in optical fibre preforms by spatial filtering techniques. Electron. Lett. 16 (1980) 219–221.
- P.L. Chu and D. Peri, Holographic measurement of refractive index profile of optical fibre preform. Electron. Lett. 16 (1980) 876–877.
- D. Peri, P.L. Chu and T. Whitbread, Direct display of the deflection function of optical fibre preform. Appl. Opt. 21 (1982) 809–814.
- C. Saekeang, P.L. Chu and T. Whitbread, Nondestructive measurement of refractive-index profile and cross-sectional geometry of optical fiber preforms. Appl. Opt. 19 (1980) 2025–2030.
- W.J. Stewart, Optical fibre and preform profiling technology. J. Quantum Electron. QE-18 (1982) 1451–1466.
- K.K. Liem, Characterisation of Single Mode Fibre. BE Undergraduate thesis, University of New South Wales, 1983.
- C.A. Millar, Direct method of determining equivalent step-index profiles for monomode fibres. Electron. Lett. 17 (1981) 458–460.
- F. Alard, L. Jeunhomme and P. Sansonetti, Fundamental mode spot size measurement in single-mode optical fibres. Electron. Lett. 19 (1981) 313–314.
- E. Nicolaisen and P. Danielsen, Calculated and measured spot size of equivalent Gaussian field in single-mode optical fibres. Electron. Lett. 19 (1983) 27–28.
- Noise analysis of refractive index profile measurements of an optical fibre and preform by deflection function techniques
Applied Scientific Research
Volume 41, Issue 3-4 , pp 289-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors