Guided waves in laminated isotropic circular cylinder
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper investigates, analytically and numerically, the dispersion characteristics of a laminated isotropic circular cylinder. The propagator matrix, which relates the stresses and displacements of one interface of a layer to those of another interface, is formulated based upon the three-dimensional theory of elasticity. The dispersion relation of the cylinder is implicitly established from this propagator matrix. The numerical evaluation is carried out by the Muller's method with an initial guess from a Rayleigh-Ritz type approximate method. Examples of an elastic rod and a two layered isotropic cylinder are presented and discussed to illustrate the accuracy and effectiveness of the method.
- Armenàkas, A. E. (1967): Propagation of harmonic waves in composite circular cylindrical shells. Part I—Theoretical investigation. AIAA 9, 599–605
- Armenàkas, A. E. (1971): Propagation of harmonic waves in composite circular cylindrical shells. Part II—Numerical analysis. AIAA 5, 740–744
- Armenàkas, A. E.; Gazis, D. C.; Herrmann, G. (1969): Free vibrations of circular cylindrical shells. New York: Pergamon Press
- Babero, E. J.; Reddy, J. N.; Teply, J. L. (1990): General two-dimensional theory of laminated cylindrical shells. AIAA 28, 544–553
- Gazis, D. (1959): Three-dimensional investigation of the propagation of waves in hollow circular cylinders. I—Analytical foundation and II—Numerical results. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 31, 568–578
- Huang, K. H.; Dong, S. B. (1984): Propagating waves and edge vibrations in anisotropic composite cylinders. J. Sound Vibr. 96, 363–379
- IMSL Library (1984): Fortran subroutine for mathematics and statistics. Edition 9.2. Texas: IMSL Inc.
- Karunasena, W. M.; Bratton, R. L.; Datta, S. K.; Shah, A. H. (1990): Elastic wave propagation in laminated composite plates. ASME J. Eng. Mat. Tech. 113, 411–418
- Kundu, T.; Mal, A. K. (1985): Elastic waves in a multilayered solid due to a dislocation source. Wave Motion 7, 459–471
- Mason (1968): Guided wave propagation in elongated cylinders and plates. Meeker, T. R. and Meitzler, A. H. (eds): Physical Acoustics, Vol. 1, Part A; pp. 111–167: Academic Press Inc.: New York
- Moore, I. D. (1990): Vibration of elastic and viscoelastic tubes. I—Harmonic response. J. Eng. Mech. 116, 928–942
- Muller, D. E. (1956): A method for solving algebraic equations using an automatic computer. Mathematical Tables and Aids to Computation 10, 208–215
- National Bureau of Standards (1964): Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables. Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A. (eds): Applied Mathematics Series 55: Washington D.C.
- Nelson, R. B.; Dong, S. B.; Kalra, R. D. (1971): Vibrations and waves in laminated orthotropic circular cylinders. J. Sound Vib. 18, 429–444
- Onoe, M.; McNiven, H. D.; Minlind, R. D. (1962): Dispersion of axially symmetric waves in elastic rods. J. Appl. Mech. 729–734
- Pochhammer, L. (1876): Ueber die Fortpflanzungsgeschwindigkeiten von Schwingungen in einem unbegrenzten isotropen Kreiscylinder. Z. Math. 81, 324–336
- Rattanawangcharoen, N.; Shah, A. H.; Datta, S. K. (1992): Wave propagation in laminated composite circular cylinders. Int. J. Solids Struct. 29, 767–781
- Sun, C. T.; Whitney, J. M. (1974): Axisymmetric vibrations of laminated composite cylindrical shells. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 55, 1238–1246
- Walfram, S. (1988): Mathematics, A system of doing mathematics by computers. The Advanced Book Program. Reading, Mass.: Addisson-Wesley
- Guided waves in laminated isotropic circular cylinder
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 97-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors