The mechanism of sweat-secretion
- J. F. G. Slegers
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
From measurements of the total osmotic concentration of sweat as a function of the sweating-rate the following conclusions were drawn:
The primary fluid of the sweat has about the same total concentration as bloodplasma.
The hypotonicity of sweat is caused by reabsorption of solute in the duct.
The reabsorption of solute in the duct seems to be related to the concentration of the sweat itself and to the flow-rate. A hypothesis is given to explain this relationship.
- Adams, R., R. E. Johnson, and F. Sargent: The osmotic pressure of human sweat in relation to its chemical composition. Quart. J. exp. Physiol. 43, 241 (1958).
- Burgen, A. S. V.: The osmotic work of salivary secretion in the dog. J. cell. comp. Physiol. 45, 465 (1955).
- Dobson, R. L.: In Advances in Biology of Skin. Vol. 3; chief editor W. Montagna. Oxford: Pergamon Press 1962.
- Kuno, Yas: Physiology of Human Perspiration. London: Churchill 1956.
- Locke, W., N. B. Talbot, H. S. Jones, and J. Worcester: Studies on the combined use of measurements of sweat-electrolyte composition and rate of sweating as an index of adrenal cortical activity. J. clin. Invest. 30, 325 (1951).
- McKenzie, W., and G. H. Mudge: In Mineral Metabolism. Vol. 1 part A. Chief editors Comar C. L., and F. Bronner. New York: Acad. Press 1960.
- Mertz, D. P.: Die Extracelluläre Flüssigkeit. Stuttgart: G. Thieme 1962.
- Sargent, F., and R. L. Dobson: The effect of acetyl-β-methylcholine on the structure and function of the eccrine sweatgland. J. invest. Derm. 38, 305 (1962).
- Schwartz, I. L., and J. H. Thaysen: Excretion of sodium and potassium in human sweat. J. clin. Invest. 35, 114 (1956).
- Slegers, J. F. G.: The mechanism of eccrine sweatgland-function in normal subjects and in patients with mucoviscoidosis. Dermatologica (Basel) 127, 242 (1963).
- The mechanism of sweat-secretion
Pflüger's Archiv für die gesamte Physiologie des Menschen und der Tiere
Volume 279, Issue 3 , pp 265-273
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. F. G. Slegers (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. From the Department of Physiology, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands