Determination of the hardness and elastic modulus from continuous vickers indentation testing
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Continuous Vickers (H v) indentation tests were performed on different materials (ion crystals, metals, ceramics, silica glass and plastic). Load-indentation depth curves were taken during the loading as well as during the unloading period by a computer controlled hydraulic mechanical testing machine (MTS 810). The indentation work measured both the loading and the unloading periods, and these were used for the evaluation of parameters characterizing the materials. It was found empirically that there were linear connections between the maximum load to the power 3/2 and the indentation work. These connections were used to relate the conventional hardness number, H v, and Young's modulus, E, with the work performed during loading and unloading. This work can be determined with great accuracy from the measurements. The values of the Young's modulus and the Vickers hardness determined this way agree well with those obtained by conventional methods. On the basis of continuous indentation tests, materials can be easily classified into the isomechanical groups introduced by Ashby. For this classification the H v/E ratio is generally used. As a substitute for H v/E another parameter is recommended which can be determined easily from a single measurement.
- F.Fröhlich, P.Grau and W.Grellmann, Phys. Status Solidi (a) 42 (1977) 79.
- W. C.Oliver and G. M.Pharr, J. Mater. Res. 7 (1992) 1564.
- J. L.Loubet, J. M.Georges, O.Marchesini and G.Meille, J. Tribology 106 (1984) 43.
- M.Sakai, Acta Metall Mater. 41 (1993) 1751.
- A.Juhász, G.Vörös, P.Tasnádi, I.Kovács, I.Somogyi and J.Szöllösi, Colloque C7, supplément au J. de Physique III, 3 (1993) 1485.
- A.Juhász, M.Dimitrova-Lukács, G.Vörös, J.Gubicza, P.Tasnádi, P.Lukács and A.Kele, Fortchrittsberichte der Deutschen Keramischen Gesellschaft 9 (1994) 87.
- S. S.Chiang, D. B.Marshall and A. G.Evans, J. Appl. Phys. 53 (1982) 298.
- K. L.Johnson, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 18 (1970) 115. CrossRef
- D.Tabor, Rev. Phys. Technol. 1 (1970) 145.
- Idem, “Hardness of Metals” (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1951).
- I. N.Sneddon, Int. J. Engng Sci. 3 (1965) 47.
- G. M.Pharr, W. C.Oliver and F. R.Brotzen, J. Mater. Res. 7 (1992) 613.
- B. R.Lawn and V. R.Howes, J. Mater. Sci. 16 (1981) 2745.
- A. E. H.Love, Q. F. Math. 10 (1939) 161.
- M. F.Ashby and A. M.Brown, in Proceedings of the Second Riso International Symposium on Metallurgy and Materials Science, edited by N.Hansen et al., Riso National Laboratory (Roskilde, Denmark, 1981) p. 1.
- Determination of the hardness and elastic modulus from continuous vickers indentation testing
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 31, Issue 12 , pp 3109-3114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors