A simple method for the preparation of plasma-sprayable powders based on ZrO2
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Plasma-sprayable powders of calcia, magnesia and yttria-stabilized zirconia have been prepared by using polyvinyl alcohol binders. The powders have been characterized for sprayability by spray coating on steel plates previously coated with an NiAl bond coat. The suitability of these coatings for thermal barrier applications have been examined. Thermal barrier and related properties, along with phase stability and mechanical properties, have been found to be good. Failure of the thermal barrier coating has been observed to occur at the interface between the bond coat and the substrate, due to the formation of a pile-up layer consisting of Fe-Zr-Al-O compound.
- W. F. Calosso and A. R. Nicoll, 87-ICE-15, in “Energy-sources technology conference and exhibition”, Dallas, Texas, 15–20 February 1987 (ASME, New York, 1987) p. 1.
- S. Rangaswamy, Sulzer Tech. Rev. 2 (1994) 6.
- Fawzy G. Sherif and Lieh-Jiun Shyu, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1991) 375.
- M. Chatterjee, J. Ray, A. Chatterjee, D. Ganguly, S. V. Joshi and M. P. Srivastava, J. Mater. Sci. 28 (1993) 2803.
- A. R. Teter, Ceram. Age 82(8) (1996) 30.
- P. Vincenzini, Ind. Ceram. 10 (3) (1990) 113.
- N. Perrin, H. Burlet, M. Boussuge and G. Desplanches, Surf. Coat. Technol. 56 (1993) 151.
- A. Bennett, Mater. Sci. Technol. 2(3) (1986) 257.
- R. J. Bratton and S. K. Lau, in “Advances in Ceramics”. Vol. 3 “Science and technology of Zirconia”, edited by A. H. Heuer and L. W. Hobbs (American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1981) p. 226.
- S. Alperine and L. Lelait, J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power Trans ASME 116(1) (1994) 258.
- D. L. Porter and A. H. Heuer, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 62 (1979) 298.
- R. Stevens, Trans. J. Bri. Ceram. Soc. 80 (1981) 81.
- R. H. J. Hannink, J. Mater. Sci. 18 (1983) 457.
- J. R. Vanvalzah and H. E. Eaton, Surf. Coat. Technol. 46 (1991) 289.
- C. L. Curtis, D. T. Gawne and M. Priestnall, J. Mater. Sci. 29 (1994) 3102.
- P. Scardi, L. Lutterotti and E. Galvanetto, Surf. Coat. Technol. 61 (1993) 52.
- S. V. Joshi and M. P. Srivastava, ibid. 56 (1993) 215.
- R. A. Miller, J. L. Smialek and R. G. Garlick, in “Advances in ceramics”, Vol. 3, “Science and technology of zirconia”, edited by A. H. Heuer and L. W. Hobbs (American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1981) p. 241.
- B. -C. Wu, E. Chang, S. -F. Chang and D. Tu, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 72 (1989) 212.
- R. C. Garvie and P. S. Nicholson, ibid. 55 (1972) 303.
- J. R. Brandon and R. Taylor, Surf. Coat. Technol. 39/40 (1989) 143.
- H. G. Scott, J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 1527.
- R. H. Unger, in “Thermal Spray: Advances in coatings technology”, Proceedings of the National thermal spray conference, edited by D. L. Houck, 14 September 1987, Orlando, Florida (ASM International, 1988) p. 365.
- A simple method for the preparation of plasma-sprayable powders based on ZrO2
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 31, Issue 23 , pp 6325-6332
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors